.50 BMG bounces back off steel plate, head shot

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No...

rack'm said:
I think it was staged. :boo:

...this is staged;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsz9ZrFvoQg

I've been hit by peices of rounds coming back from my plate rack, 9mm and .45, so, it does happen. Got a nice nick out of a few of them. I have no problem with there being enough energy for a .50 round sending shrapnel back that far, but I wanna know what kind of round, FMJ??? Maybe some solid core?

Larry Gude said:
...this is staged;

I've been hit by peices of rounds coming back from my plate rack, 9mm and .45, so, it does happen. Got a nice nick out of a few of them. I have no problem with there being enough energy for a .50 round sending shrapnel back that far, but I wanna know what kind of round, FMJ??? Maybe some solid core?
I was watching a pin shoot in Timonium a couple years ago. Guy was told he should not use wadcutters. He insisted that they were fine to use. They let him shoot. Hit a pin dead on, bullet ricocheted straight back and grazed him on the temple. After being deflected by his shooting glasses. I never shoot without glasses now (other than hunting).

rack'm

Jaded
Larry Gude said:
...this is staged;

I just don't think you're going to bounce a .50 back that straight off of a steel target.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It...

rack'm said:
I just don't think you're going to bounce a .50 back that straight off of a steel target.

...might have been no more than a fragment. If the round stayed intact, a piercing round, it would have gone straight through 1/2" of pretty much any steel.

I think this was some sort of jacketed round and, with the energy of a .50 it leaves a small crater in the steel setting all sorts of possible angles for a ricochet.

Now, if it was maybe 3/4" or more of steel, maybe the round stayed intact and, again, because it HAD to at least dent the target, it certainly could find that 1 in a million angle.

That's why I'd be interested in the round and the target because, in and of itself, a ricochet coming back to the shooter is not any kind of impossibility.

rack'm

Jaded
Larry Gude said:
...might have been no more than a fragment. If the round stayed intact, a piercing round, it would have gone straight through 1/2" of pretty much any steel.

I think this was some sort of jacketed round and, with the energy of a .50 it leaves a small crater in the steel setting all sorts of possible angles for a ricochet.

Now, if it was maybe 3/4" or more of steel, maybe the round stayed intact and, again, because it HAD to at least dent the target, it certainly could find that 1 in a million angle.

That's why I'd be interested in the round and the target because, in and of itself, a ricochet coming back to the shooter is not any kind of impossibility.

I'm with ya.....It'll be interesting to hear 2a's comments. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep...

rack'm said:
I'm with ya.....It'll be interesting to hear 2a's comments. :lol:

...he'll have some information.

See, FMJ on steel is like an egg hitting a wall, just visualize the splatter pattern. BUT odd things can and do happen.

He brought a freaking hand cannon up here, .44 auto mag with HP's, and dented a few of my damn plates; the energy vs. my pea shooters is unreal. And his .44 ain't squat compared to the .50 bmg.

So, maybe those clowns were shooting to see how thick of steel they could cut through with an armour piercing round and, well, PING, WHIRRRRRR...OUCH.

:jameo: :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
.50 cal is a BIG projectile, even a fragment of the round would be sizable enough to richochet back and get your attention. No idea from the video how far away the target was, but I'm betting it wasn't a mile away. I'm guessing a few hundred yards or less.

I've had all kinds of close calls with ricochets over the years, sometimes a small fragment would come back and just bounce in the dirt, or it would bounce of my body and land in front of me.. I've never had a ricochet from a .50 cal, but we never shot at anything closer then say 1000 meters with the .50.

Depending on the type of round, it doesn't take that much steel to stop it. Armor piercing rounds (which are illegal in most states) don't even penetrate much steel, as most armored vehicles aren't made of steel. (You don't shoot at a tank with a .50, but armored personnel carries can be game).

I'm thinking this video is more than possible, the shooter is VERY lucky he wasn't any closer, ot the ricochet didn't hit him square in the forehead.

rack'm

Jaded
Larry Gude said:
He brought a freaking hand cannon up here, .44 auto mag with HP's, and dented a few of my damn plates; the energy vs. my pea shooters is unreal. And his .44 ain't squat compared to the .50 bmg.
:lmao:

I have one of those hand canons too :getdown:

Shooting holes in 20 lb cylinders is a lot of fun!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
itsbob said:
. . No idea from the video how far away the target was, but I'm betting it wasn't a mile away. I'm guessing a few hundred yards or less.

...looks like 100 yards to me; DAMN CLOSE. The shooter says 'that's the last one of them we're doing' right after his ears get knock off :lmao: so, I'm inferring they knew they were too close AND probably shooting at something they shouldn't be shooting.

I thought .50 bmg would go through 1/2" of armor plate???

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Larry Gude said:
...looks like 100 yards to me; DAMN CLOSE. The shooter says 'that's the last one of them we're doing' right after his ears get knock off :lmao: so, I'm inferring they knew they were too close AND probably shooting at something they shouldn't be shooting.

I thought .50 bmg would go through 1/2" of armor plate???
Armor plate usually isn't steel.. unless your are talking battle ships.

Most armored personnel carriers aren't made of steel, the M113 was made out of an aluminum alloy, probably more than an inch, and a .50 round would go through it like butter. It would stop 7.62 and under. but the Soviet 12.7mm would go through it no problem.. (our 25mm practice rounds would penetrate one side and peel back the other like a banana)

The soviet APC's may have been steel, but steel is so heavy that their skin is less than a 1/2 inch thick.. Steel also likes to spall, so even if you didn't penetrate the steel, the people inside were still getting chewed up with the spall from the inside of the PC.. Steel isn't a good choice for many reasons.. weight being the biggest, and the Soviets were GREAT at making things amphibious, so their PC's had to be LIGHT.. only offering enough protection from small arms and shrapnel. BMP's BMD's BTR-152's, good choices for targets.. T-62/72/80.. better bring something a LOT bigger.

So yeah, the .50 was perfect for defeating trucks, APC's and the like, but you would NEVER shoot it at a tank... be like poking a hornet's nest with a stick.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And agian, we are assuming they were shootin at a piece of steel with an armor piercing round.. I agree with the shooting at a steel target, but I have a feeling it wasn't an AP round, and the round shattered on impact and threw a good chunk of the round right back at him..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Would an...

itsbob said:
And agian, we are assuming they were shootin at a piece of steel with an armor piercing round.. I agree with the shooting at a steel target, but I have a feeling it wasn't an AP round, and the round shattered on impact and threw a good chunk of the round right back at him..

...AP round be more likely to stay intact for our shooter here? I ask because, if it was just a FMJ, that dust kicked up was from a pretty good sized piece, which would be, I think, unlikely IF it was a flat, steel plate.

So, I guess AP and an odd shaped target presuming the AP round would have stayed in one piece to explain the big dust cloud??? Or an AP that came right back at him after hitting a piece of real steel???

We're working this one today, huh? :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Larry Gude said:
...AP round be more likely to stay intact for our shooter here? I ask because, if it was just a FMJ, that dust kicked up was from a pretty good sized piece, which would be, I think, unlikely IF it was a flat, steel plate.

So, I guess AP and an odd shaped target presuming the AP round would have stayed in one piece to explain the big dust cloud??? Or an AP that came right back at him after hitting a piece of real steel???

We're working this one today, huh? :lmao:
yeah, but things that go bang, and or boom... I can talk about those ALL day, and never get tired..