8 fights this week at McDonough HS

Zguy28

For future reference it's spelled; correlation...with an e. And while correlation doesn't 'prove' causation, a strong correlation does have meaning. I'd say there was a pretty strong correlation, historically speaking, between religion and violence.
My apologies Grammarian. As I said, correlation yes, causation no. And let us stay straight here, you stated that religion was the cause of more violence than any other thing in history.

And I disagree, the Inquisition, as an example, wasn't about greed. The catholic church was attempting to purge the world of evil, meaning people who didn't see eye to eye with their doctrine.
Not so fast. The Spanish Inquisition was begun with Archdeacon Martinez because he didn't like "dirty" Jews and he was rebuffed numerous times by the Papacy.

Eventually it led to a Papal Bull because of perceived blasphemy during Easter week (the Jews were celebrating Passover).

Even after that it rapidly became about greed and materialism, in addition to ethnic hate, since the Jewish minority were the holders of a disproportionate amount of wealth.

I'll lay out another example, the Crusades. Religion or greed and prejudice perverting religion?

Was more violence done in the Crusades or in Chairman Mao's and Stalin's (both Atheists BTW) purges?

I would say religion is often just the vehicle through which prejudice, hate, and greed operate.

One of the saddest lines from a Ridley Scott movie uttered by actor Jeremy Irons:

"I have given Jerusalem my whole life. First, I thought we were fighting for God. Then I realized we were fighting for wealth and land. I was ashamed. "

onel0126

Bead mumbler
This has gotten way off topic.

It all starts at home people--the good and the bad. When we let our kids act like animals at home they act like animals everywhere. Also, from a sociological point of view society is way to eager to attach labels to kids. He is....She is.......I understand that there truly are children that have "issues" and these are the one's that need help. Unfortunately often the school systems can't say "your son is an unfocused scumbag because your parenting skills suck" so we give them a "special" label. Charles County has been infiltrated by a certain socioeconomic demographic (not just talking about race here) due to our "affordable" housing and unwillingness to follow Calvert's control of the type of housing units built. Rant over. Flame away.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

It does. And I agree that the ED/OD population of SpEd students is a very challenging one. From the posts I was following, it wasn't clear to me that those were the only students to which you were referring. Probably because Devil's Advocate's posts tended to jump around a little. (no offense, but they went from blaming IDEA laws to the parents, etc.)

Nothing that is perfect, I will agree. But the laws are in place to help the majority. The majority of the SpEd students in this country are helped by those laws - when they weren't just 30 years ago. (remember the basement of your school? That's generally where they were "contained". )

But it's good to have the discussions and enlighten people. I appreciate all points of view, and always try to share my experiences with the system in a positive way. The reason I try to post the regulations and laws where I can is because most of the mainstream public do not know them and aren't even aware they exist. I might be helping one lurker parent who is going through he** and that's worth it to me.

It's not a perfect system but Charles County has special education at every school.

The other thing they have in Charles County that is very successful is Gwynn Center - built to school the kids with the most extreme cases of mental/emotional disabilities. Before they started that school, they just lumped them in with the kids at (then) Radio Station.

I'm working with an autistic kid at one of the schools I work at, and the kid is damn smart. Realistically, the only times he gets in trouble are when his classmates get noisy and get really loud. The kids either don't know (or don't care) that sets an autistic person off like an IED. There's nothing he can do to control that, and he's well behaved any other time. :shrug:

GSXR_MOE

Adding Diversity to SOMD
It all starts at home people--the good and the bad. When we let our kids act like animals at home they act like animals everywhere. Also, from a sociological point of view society is way to eager to attach labels to kids. He is....She is.......I understand that there truly are children that have "issues" and these are the one's that need help. Unfortunately often the school systems can't say "your son is an unfocused scumbag because your parenting skills suck" so we give them a "special" label. Charles County has been infiltrated by a certain socioeconomic demographic (not just talking about race here) due to our "affordable" housing and unwillingness to follow Calvert's control of the type of housing units built. Rant over. Flame away.

ding..ding..ding.... We have a winner!!!!:yay:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I just wish it was gone from the rest of society as well. It served its purpose in the Dark Ages. We, as a society, needed something to believe in. In today's society of enlightened thinking it serves no other purpose than to fracture our already fragile social order.
I can promise you you'll get your wish.
Since you're totally blind when it comes to "spiritual" things, no use debating with you about them. All societal evils come from a refusal to follow God's plan. There's NO arguing that. "Todays society of enlightened thinking" is actually the devil's darkness but you can't see that either. See ya.
It all starts at home people--the good and the bad. When we let our kids act like animals at home they act like animals everywhere.
Unfortunately often the school systems can't say "your son is an unfocused scumbag because your parenting skills suck" so we give them a "special" label. Charles County has been infiltrated by a certain socioeconomic demographic (not just talking about race here) due to our "affordable" housing and unwillingness to follow Calvert's control of the type of housing units built.
Well said! This is exactly the problem. When I went to school, we were told by the teacher one time to settle down and, if we didn't, we were made to stand in the corner, sometimes got spanked (you read that right) and ultimately sent to the principals office and expelled. Liberalism won't allow that today and so you have the schools in chaos. I still say that parents too should be punished somehow when this happens.
I was at Ruby Tuesdays last night and a little girl at the table behind us was screaming her head off. Mom & Dad looked embarassed but did nothing in a disciplinary manner. She wanted to get up and run around the place and they wouldn't let her. She fussed for over 5 minutes and I was really getting fed up. I know that kid doesn't get spanked. It's obvious. Keep them the he!! home if you can't control them! I don't go to restaurants to listen to screamig kids!

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Experiment....

If you want to see the future delinquent generation in Charles County go sit in a Wal Mart for 30 minutes and observe. Wal Mart=Darwin's waiting room. These are the kids (some, not all) that will be assaulting teachers and starting fights in public high schools in a few years.:ohwell:

crabluver

If I may, can someone please tell me if you take all the right steps as a parent (step), where do you go to get more help if you do not have the money to put the delinquent kids in a public alternative school for help? I am doing the best I can, not even my own child. And still, am dealing with the parents why they keep giving in...The teen is getting ready to start Calvert Alternative; but yet his behavior and attitude is terrible if he does not get his way about rules. We have him enrolled in a teen substance abuse program, tried to get him to go to anger management. Stethum was where they put him in the beginning. Now we are enrolling him in Calvert. He is 16 and I only want to try to put him into a school and have him straighten up. I know this may be off topic, but it seems like alot of you know the steps...thanks..

glitch

Devil's Advocate
I can promise you you'll get your wish.
Since you're totally blind when it comes to "spiritual" things, no use debating with you about them. All societal evils come from a refusal to follow God's plan. There's NO arguing that. "Todays society of enlightened thinking" is actually the devil's darkness but you can't see that either. See ya.

The devil's darkness? You need to talk to your doctor about adjusting your medications before you become a danger to society. Also, if you've managed to breed please give your children up so someone from the real world can raise them. I'd hate to see your ignorance passed on to future generations.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It's not a perfect system but Charles County has special education at every school.

The other thing they have in Charles County that is very successful is Gwynn Center - built to school the kids with the most extreme cases of mental/emotional disabilities. Before they started that school, they just lumped them in with the kids at (then) Radio Station.

I'm working with an autistic kid at one of the schools I work at, and the kid is damn smart. Realistically, the only times he gets in trouble are when his classmates get noisy and get really loud. The kids either don't know (or don't care) that sets an autistic person off like an IED. There's nothing he can do to control that, and he's well behaved any other time. :shrug:

Special education classes are supposed to be housed in every school. It's part of the (federal) IDEA law - you can't legally segregate special education children from the general education population. They may not offer every "type" of SpEd class in each school - that would be cost prohibitive. But they will have various classes in each school & that is the best way to acheive the goal of integration of special education students with the general population of students. That way, some kids are served in the least restrictive environments, if they are able to be mainstreamed all or part of the day. Or they are served in the classroom which is in a particular school - and maybe bussed to that school if it is out of their home school zone.

As for your description of the autistic student, please remember that even autism is not a "one size fits all". What "sets off" one autistic person may not affect another autistic person the same way.

Also, I have to ask this - but why would that student "get in trouble" when he "mis-behaved"? IMO, that behavior would be a direct result of his inability to tolerate loud noises, so if he acted out for a behavior that is a manifestation of his disorder, why would he get in trouble? That doesn't make sense to me. Just wondering.

brownsugar

I work at a level 5 school. This is not just a Charles County issue. Sad to say but these 90's kids are a mess. We are seeing a whole generation who were left to raise their self because their parents were on crack. You can not just tell these kids to go stand in the corner. That may have worked for prior generations. These children were exposed to crack and all sorts of hard drugs in the womb. As a result, you have your kids with ADD/ADHD and other issues. While the parents were in the streets, these children were being molested and taken advantage of. These kids are survivors and they will do whatever the know to survive (good or bad).

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Special education classes are supposed to be housed in every school. It's part of the (federal) IDEA law - you can't legally segregate special education children from the general education population. They may not offer every "type" of SpEd class in each school - that would be cost prohibitive. But they will have various classes in each school & that is the best way to acheive the goal of integration of special education students with the general population of students. That way, some kids are served in the least restrictive environments, if they are able to be mainstreamed all or part of the day. Or they are served in the classroom which is in a particular school - and maybe bussed to that school if it is out of their home school zone.

As for your description of the autistic student, please remember that even autism is not a "one size fits all". What "sets off" one autistic person may not affect another autistic person the same way.

Also, I have to ask this - but why would that student "get in trouble" when he "mis-behaved"? IMO, that behavior would be a direct result of his inability to tolerate loud noises, so if he acted out for a behavior that is a manifestation of his disorder, why would he get in trouble? That doesn't make sense to me. Just wondering.

I don't know the details of what kids are where and why, but one of my relatives works at the Gwynn Center and basically said it's a smaller-size environment. I believe most of the kids there are the most extreme cases of emotional disorder that tend to be violent and aggressive. Doesn't make sense to lump them in with the behavior-problem students if their problems are because of a disorder.

As far as saying he gets in trouble, it's more or less the loud noises set him off and he becomes a distraction himself and has to be removed from the classroom. They don't usually write him up or anything. They'll send him down to my room sometimes if I'm not busy... right now it's completely different with MSA's starting tomorrow :faint: I've been all over the place the past week. :jameo:

B

Beaver-Cleaver

I work at a level 5 school. This is not just a Charles County issue. Sad to say but these 90's kids are a mess. We are seeing a whole generation who were left to raise their self because their parents were on crack. You can not just tell these kids to go stand in the corner. That may have worked for prior generations. These children were exposed to crack and all sorts of hard drugs in the womb. As a result, you have your kids with ADD/ADHD and other issues. While the parents were in the streets, these children were being molested and taken advantage of. These kids are survivors and they will do whatever the know to survive (good or bad).

There are a lot of kids diagnosed with ADHD that shouldn't be. They O/D them with ritilan and turn them in to ####ing zombies. :smack:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
The devil's darkness? You need to talk to your doctor about adjusting your medications before you become a danger to society. Also, if you've managed to breed please give your children up so someone from the real world can raise them. I'd hate to see your ignorance passed on to future generations.
:diva: Uh, thank you....thank you very much. :notworthy:
From your own words I figured that anyone who wants "all religion" out of society is NOT from God; hence the statement: "devil's darkness".
Sad to say but these 90's kids are a mess. We are seeing a whole generation who were left to raise their self because their parents were on crack. You can not just tell these kids to go stand in the corner. That may have worked for prior generations. These children were exposed to crack and all sorts of hard drugs in the womb. As a result, you have your kids with ADD/ADHD and other issues. While the parents were in the streets, these children were being molested and taken advantage of. These kids are survivors and they will do whatever the know to survive (good or bad).
I know them well. I've worked with them since 1990 and I watched each generation become worse than the previous one. I said, the parents must be made to bear some of the burden but many of them are no where to be found.
Even some of the kids that aren't on crack have the disadvantage of being shuffled from parent to parent to boyfriend to girlfriend, etc. No wonder they're so hateful (some, not all) but this is a direct result of the home they were raised in. This is one major reason why they're having the fights, guns, knives, rapes and killings in the schools these days.
I've counseled some kids before and one of the reasons thay gave for their behavior was: "no one paid attention to me". A lot of what they do is for the attention that they did NOT get from their parents.

Bann

PREMO Member
I don't know the details of what kids are where and why, but one of my relatives works at the Gwynn Center and basically said it's a smaller-size environment. I believe most of the kids there are the most extreme cases of emotional disorder that tend to be violent and aggressive. Doesn't make sense to lump them in with the behavior-problem students if their problems are because of a disorder.

As far as saying he gets in trouble, it's more or less the loud noises set him off and he becomes a distraction himself and has to be removed from the classroom. They don't usually write him up or anything. They'll send him down to my room sometimes if I'm not busy... right now it's completely different with MSA's starting tomorrow :faint: I've been all over the place the past week. :jameo:

Oh, I wasn't commenting on the Gwynne Center, just the part about Charles County having Special ed classes in every school. Calvert does, too. They also have the Calvert Country School, where some of the more severely affected students are. I'm not sure, but I believe they also have some types of integration with regular education students. If not, I'm not sure how this type of center can be within the law, although I'm sure it must be. (I would presume)

Just for the record, I realize not all students can be, or should be mainstreamed into general education classes. I'm not one of "those" parents who felt that a class of 20 should make room & beau coup accommodations for my little Johnny just so he could be "mainstreamed". My little Johnny was better off in a smaller classroom setting anyway, because of his learning styles & his particular deficits. But having said that - I think he benefitted from being educated to the extent possible with his peers & they benefit as well.

It's kind of a shame that the autistic student has to be removed from the classroom because he becomes a distraction due something that happens in his environment & was caused by someone else's inappropriate behavior. If the teacher(s) of those classes would just prevent the antecedent, then the autistic student would have a much more successful classroom experience, don't you think? I'm not going to go all "civil rights" on the issue - but in reality, if this student gets "set off" by someone who decides to act like a butt, and then this (autistic) student gets removed or sent out of the class (same thing) - the autistic student is not being served properly by this school. They could even be in violation of his IEP, for all I know. If he doesn't have something to cover this in his IEP, he should.

glitch

Devil's Advocate

Because his behavior is socially unacceptable. I work one-on-one with a student with Autism. He's extremely violent towards staff. Technically it's a manifestation of his disability but that does not mean that the behavior is acceptable. In many of these cases ABA can be used to extinguish the behavior in question. Technically speaking, the child shouldn't be "getting in trouble" when he/she exhibits the behavior but there needs to be some consequences. I'd say that particular individual is in need of a behavioral intervention plan (BIP). We had a similar individual in our school and through proper use of a BIP have managed to drastically reduce the frequency of that type of behavior.

Last edited:

glitch

Devil's Advocate
:diva: Uh, thank you....thank you very much. :notworthy:
From your own words I figured that anyone who wants "all religion" out of society is NOT from God; hence the statement: "devil's darkness".

I know them well. I've worked with them since 1990 and I watched each generation become worse than the previous one. I said, the parents must be made to bear some of the burden but many of them are no where to be found.
Even some of the kids that aren't on crack have the disadvantage of being shuffled from parent to parent to boyfriend to girlfriend, etc. No wonder they're so hateful (some, not all) but this is a direct result of the home they were raised in. This is one major reason why they're having the fights, guns, knives, rapes and killings in the schools these days.
I've counseled some kids before and one of the reasons thay gave for their behavior was: "no one paid attention to me". A lot of what they do is for the attention that they did NOT get from their parents.

Welcome to ignore, meet the rest of the ignorant bunch you'll be grouped with for eternity. :killingme

Bann

PREMO Member
Because his behavior is socially unacceptable. I work one-on-one with a student with Autism. He's extremely violent towards staff. Technically it's a manifestation of his disability but that does not mean that the behavior is acceptable.

I completely understand and I'm not saying he should be allowed to be violent, nor am I saying that everyone should be subjected to his socially unacceptable behavior(s) and continued disruptions. What I'm saying is that (when) there are behaviors exhibited (the antecedent) by "general" education students which might cause this autistic student to go off - the staff (teachers, aides, assistants, etc) should do what they can to prevent that antecedent. This is not always possible, of course, I realize that as well.

In many of these cases ABA can be used to extinguish the behavior in question. Technically speaking, the child shouldn't be "getting in trouble" when he/she exhibits the behavior but there needs to be some consequences. I'd say that particular individual is in need of a behavioral intervention plan (BIP). We had a similar individual in our school and through proper use of a BIP have managed to drastically reduce the frequency of that type of behavior.

We agree, as that's what I said. He needs to have that in his IEP. Otherwise, he's not getting served properly in the SpEd setting. However, I strongly disagree that all the consequences should be on the autistic student for behaviors which are "set off" by something another student provokes in some way. There needs to be some prevention in those situations.