A female soldier in the U.S. Army pleaded guilty

ZARA

Female Army soldier pleads guilty to desertion to avoid second tour in Iraq | Fox News

FORT CARSON, Colo. (AP) — A female soldier in the U.S. Army pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of desertion after fleeing to Canada to avoid a second tour of duty in the Iraq war.

...After fleeing to Canada, Rivera applied for refugee status but was denied.

Rivera then applied for permanent residency, but Canadian immigration officials rejected that application, too. Authorities also rejected her requests to stay on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Rivera was first ordered to leave Canada or face deportation in 2009, but she appealed that decision. The mother of four faced another deportation order issued in 2012.

...Some Canadian politicians say the situation is different now because Iraq war deserters like Rivera enlisted in the U.S. military voluntarily.

Why join if you are not capable of performing required duties?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Some people somehow just don't understand what they're getting into. Clearly she's braindead if she thinks fleeing to Canada is going to help her. They won't do anything to piss off the US. She should have run to Mexico, she probably could have hid there no problemo.

Last edited:

ZARA

Some people don't know what they're getting into. Clearly she's braindead if she thinks fleeing to Canada is going to help her. They won't do anything to piss off the US. She should have run to Mexico, she probably could have hid there no problemo.

She should have gone to her CO first. If nothing came of that she could have gone to counseling / head shrinker and have them declare her unfit/mentally incapable or whatever it is referred to now days.

I don't understand why she felt the need to run away from her problem...it always makes matters worse.

Beta84

They're out to get us
:killingme

About the third week of boot camp...
yeah...good point. I changed my post a little to emphasize that she was clearly oblivious. :lol:

She should have gone to her CO first. If nothing came of that she could have gone to counseling / head shrinker and have them declare her unfit/mentally incapable or whatever it is referred to now days.

I don't understand why she felt the need to run away from her problem...it always makes matters worse.

She clearly has some problems and doesn't understand things like a rational person. Otherwise she probably wouldn't have signed up without realizing the consequences and wouldn't have ran to friggin Canada of all places. So assuming she should have done things the rational way is out the window.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Why join if you are not capable of performing required duties?

Here mother and father grew up in the age when it was encouraged to desert and move to Canada. Having heard those stories during her formative years, I'm sure she had not doubts she'd be welcomed with open arms at the Can-Am border.

mamatutu

mama to two
I do feel bad for her because her family life, apparently, was/is falling apart. However, a commitment is a commitment, and like Zara said, running just makes it worse. I do agree with the point that enlistment is different than the draft, so, it really makes it more of a commitment when you volunteer. Bottom line is, I totally get it that our military has to have strict adherence/rules/ramifications; otherwise, our military would be weak. I would say never volunteer for service, unless you know all the facts. IMO, this woman did not do her research.