A Night for Accidents

BernieP

Resident PIA
As a rider, I do not approve this message :)
Tailgating can be subjective. Yes, there are people who speed, excessive speed, that think they can push the vehicle in front to go as fast as they would like them to go. On the other hand, there are people who drive below the speed limit or significantly slower than traffic is flowing.
If you are one of the later and feel people are climbing into your trunk, consider maybe picking it up or pulling over to let people pass.
I don't not recommend "games". Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You aren't going to get the type A person to back off, what you are going to do is just piss them off and end up with a possible road rage case.
Or worse,
BTW I do not condone tailgating. I have found myself closing rapidly on slow movers, particularly those who pull out from a side street and don't bother to move. Seems to be a feeling that as long as you get the rear of your car in front of the vehicles in the travel lane they have to yield to you.

luvmygdaughters

Went to my daughters on Saturday, she lives in Calvert. I was on my way back to St. Marys, nearing the top of the bridge, when a pick up truck, for some unknown reason crossed the center line into oncoming traffic. Luckily, no one was in the lane at that precise moment, he made the correction and almost hit the wall of the bridge. Must've been texting while driving...on that bridge!!! Hell, I'm white knuckling the steering wheel every time I go over that bridge!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Tailgating can be subjective. Yes, there are people who speed, excessive speed, that think they can push the vehicle in front to go as fast as they would like them to go. On the other hand, there are people who drive below the speed limit or significantly slower than traffic is flowing.
If you are one of the later and feel people are climbing into your trunk, consider maybe picking it up or pulling over to let people pass.
I don't not recommend "games". Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You aren't going to get the type A person to back off, what you are going to do is just piss them off and end up with a possible road rage case.
Or worse,
BTW I do not condone tailgating. I have found myself closing rapidly on slow movers, particularly those who pull out from a side street and don't bother to move. Seems to be a feeling that as long as you get the rear of your car in front of the vehicles in the travel lane they have to yield to you.

Not sure what you are saying here. My response you quoted was regarding the use of windshield washers to spray the person you feel is tailgating you.... As a motorcycle rider. I am not a fan of people in front of me using their windshield washers. It wasnt really relevant to tailgating.

Are you saying that you also don't think spraying the person behind you is an appropriate response?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not sure what you are saying here. My response you quoted was regarding the use of windshield washers to spray the person you feel is tailgating you.... As a motorcycle rider. I am not a fan of people in front of me using their windshield washers. It wasnt really relevant to tailgating.

Are you saying that you also don't think spraying the person behind you is an appropriate response?
yes sir, neither is brake checking. I think any retaliation can only lead to further escalation and an accident.
The only thing I do is lock my cruise control in to make sure I maintain a constant velocity.
But I try and do that normally. I don't slow down, or go even faster. I maintain speed if possible.