A Republican is creeped out by Christian rock

J

justhangn

I used to listen to "Twisted Sister and Slayer" all the time, both good Christian Rock bands..........it didn't seem to effect my Republicanness. :ohwell:

Last edited by a moderator:

ylexot

Super Genius
I guess they haven't noticed the Christian rock bands that made it into the mainstream like Creed, P.O.D., or Switchfoot.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
So what's this guy's beef? Christians don't rock? Well, guess again dude, they also roollllll!

Who did that song, way back there in otter's time?

"I am a rock, I am an Island"?
(and a rockfeels no cold, and an island never cries)

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I think the bands Ylexot mentioned are rockers who happen to be Christians. Evanescence falls into that category. That's not the same thing as a band that has Christianity as its entire message. I'm thinking of Petra and Sandi Patti.

ylexot

Super Genius
Tonio said:
I think the bands Ylexot mentioned are rockers who happen to be Christians. Evanescence falls into that category. That's not the same thing as a band that has Christianity as its entire message. I'm thinking of Petra and Sandi Patti.
Nope. Listen to the lyrics (or read them).

For example...Creed's "My Own Prison" (their first hit):
A court is in session, a verdict is in
No appeal on the docket today
Just my own sin
The walls are cold and pale
The cage made of steel
Screams fill the room
Alone I drop and kneel
Silence now the sound
My breath the only motion around
Demons cluttering around
My face showing no emotion
Shackled by my sentence
Expecting no return
Here there is no penance
My skin begins to burn
So I held my head up high
Hiding hate that burns inside
Which only fuels their selfish pride
We're all held captive
Out from the sun
A sun that shines on only some
We the meek are all in one
I hear a thunder in the distance
See a vision of a cross
I feel the pain that was given
On that sad day of loss
A lion roars in the darkness
Only he holds the key
A light to free me from my burden
And grant me life eternally
Should have been dead
On a Sunday morning
Banging my head
No time for mourning
Ain't got no time
So I held my head up high
Hiding hate that burns inside
Which only fuels their selfish pride
We're all held captive
Out from the sun
A sun that shines on only some
We the meek are all in one
I cry out to God
Seeking only his decision
Gabriel stands and confirms
I've created my own prison

Granted, not all of Creed's or P.O.D.'s songs have to do with Christianity, but some of them are very Christian. Switchfoot is very much a Christian Rock band.

J

justhangn

A memory of high school

I listened to heavy metal and wore my leather jacket proudly just to be labeled a Satan worshiper…….then Slayer and Twisted Sister came out and we jammed to those groups too and the teachers still called us Satan worshipers………I do wonder if they ever figured it out.

justhangn said:
A memory of high school

I listened to heavy metal and wore my leather jacket proudly just to be labeled a Satan worshiper…….then Slayer and Twisted Sister came out and we jammed to those groups too and the teachers still called us Satan worshipers………I do wonder if they ever figured it out.
I assume you mean Stryper, not Slayer.

I listened to all them, plus King Diamond, Maiden, Killer Dwarves, Helloween, etc.

Last edited:

Otter

Nothing to see here
penncam said:
So what's this guy's beef? Christians don't rock? Well, guess again dude, they also roollllll!

Who did that song, way back there in otter's time?

"I am a rock, I am an Island"?
(and a rockfeels no cold, and an island never cries)

Geez, Penn..Simon and Garfunkel didn't do a thing for me. That was your heyday..I picture you being the guy strumming the guitar sitting on the steps at Delta House singing "I gave my love a blah blah blah" when Bluto stepped up and did the right thing.

Rapture Man

The only Christian rock band at the RNC will be Third Day, and there's nothing weird, erotic, or "weirdly erotic" about them.

Although, I did like the quote, "The least interesting person at the Democratic National Convention last month was the nominee himself, and he's the most likely, 12 months from now, to end up being the least famous, too."

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
otter said:
Geez, Penn..Simon and Garfunkel didn't do a thing for me. That was your heyday..I picture you being the guy strumming the guitar sitting on the steps at Delta House singing "I gave my love a blah blah blah" when Bluto stepped up and did the right thing.
See, I knew otter would :getdown: remember the one! He says it didn't do anything for him, but he d@mn sure knew it.

He's probably humming away with it as we type! :banana:

Otter

Nothing to see here
penncam said:
See, I knew otter would :getdown: remember the one! He says it didn't do anything for him, but he d@mn sure knew it.

He's probably humming away with it as we type! :banana:

:ohwell:

Attachments

• PetesBit.gif
    PetesBit.gif
    45.5 KB · Views: 90

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
otter said:
:yeahthat: That was perfect Otter. I can visualize him singing "Puff the Magic Dragon".