Abuse of social services

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Can you not understand when you are being a hypocrite?

Keep Burning that straw-man
A and B have NOTHING To Do With C

Maybe because 2 lbs of catfish or tilapia is often cheaper than chicken.
Are you saying people who are needy can't eat seafood ever?

FISH was not the problem, you are denser than Iridium or Intentionally Obtuse

Sapidus

Although I believe Michelle had good intentions, she was very short sighted. The little bastages would not eat the food prepared. The majority of it went into the trash. Many of us on here predicted that outcome.

But yet you don't think the same will happen with government approved boxes of processed food most likely purchased from the cheapest bulk providers? I bet there will be even more waste.

steppinthrax

Maybe because 2 lbs of catfish or tilapia is often cheaper than chicken. Are you saying people who are needy can't eat seafood ever?

There are going to be "business complexities" with food boxes. Govt giving the contacts to the food producers to the cheapest and least healthy sources. I wouldn't trust a bunch of govt workers to make up a healthy meal kit for the millions of kids in this country who need it especially since the article says it won't include meat or fresh produce.

I would trust their parents who see them every day and have a vested interest in their health to do it.

Seafood is a luxury.

Unless you can medically prove to me that seafood is necessary to survive, it's a luxury.

There's always going to be a debate between what's necessary and what's a luxury. Of course you could argue that seafood contains Omega 6 fatty acids and improves the quality of health.

You can then take that further and have a wealthy individual who has an in-home chef who prepares gourmet meals for them using the best ingredients. Their health is better simply due to that fact. Now does that mean I can bitch because I don't have this. If you want a gourmet chef then work harder and make more money to be able to afford one. If you want to only buy organic than work harder to make money to be able to afford this.

If you want to get off SNAP food that dosen't include seafood and things you WANT then work hard to make more money to be able to afford this.

You see the logic there...

This_person

Charity and assistance should be given from the goodness of our hearts because it is the right thing to do.

This is not charity. This is a government assistance program. Supplemental to your own taking care of yourself.

So, you say "assistance should be given from the goodness of our hearts because it is the right thing to do."

I patently disagree with this in every form as it applies to government assistance. What you CHOOSE to do with your money you can do however you see fit. This is not money given by taxpayers voluntarily, but rather on enforcement up to and including imprisonment for NOT giving the government money.

So, we are no longer talking about money that is being given out of the goodness of our hearts voluntarily, but rather money forcibly taken from us. That is what tax money is. That is what government assistance is - money forcibly taken from some to give to others.

Your response should rightfully be that we have a choice on how the money is spent by our votes. My first reaction to your meaningful response would be that the Constitution limits what may be done with that money, and charity is not to be found anywhere in the Constitution. Indeed, the founders patently rejected charity as a reasonable use of money. Additionally, assistance is not provided anywhere in the Constitution, so if this program should even exist it should ONLY exist at a level at or below the state level.

If you have any meaningful questions, feel free to ask.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You see the logic there...

I wouldn't count on that.

Besides, until they actually unveil a plan, this is all just squabbling. Currently, my understanding is that their just putting ideas together and nothing is solid yet. Which has not prevented the media from having a #### fit over what they think it might be, and projecting how Trump is going to - you guessed it - kill us all.

Sapidus

This is not charity. This is a government assistance program. Supplemental to your own taking care of yourself.

So, you say "assistance should be given from the goodness of our hearts because it is the right thing to do."

I patently disagree with this in every form as it applies to government assistance. What you CHOOSE to do with your money you can do however you see fit. This is not money given by taxpayers voluntarily, but rather on enforcement up to and including imprisonment for NOT giving the government money.

So, we are no longer talking about money that is being given out of the goodness of our hearts voluntarily, but rather money forcibly taken from us. That is what tax money is. That is what government assistance is - money forcibly taken from some to give to others.

Your response should rightfully be that we have a choice on how the money is spent by our votes. My first reaction to your meaningful response would be that the Constitution limits what may be done with that money, and charity is not to be found anywhere in the Constitution. Indeed, the founders patently rejected charity as a reasonable use of money. Additionally, assistance is not provided anywhere in the Constitution, so if this program should even exist it should ONLY exist at a level at or below the state level.

If you have any meaningful questions, feel free to ask.

Despite the selfish attitudes of many like you we are all Americans. All too often today that is forgetten. We have a duty to one another to help each other and that assurance is in the long run beneficial to us as well.

To claim to be a Christian and then be resentful of those less fortunate and our governments attempts to help them is pitiful

This_person

Despite the selfish attitudes of many like you we are all Americans. All too often today that is forgetten. We have a duty to one another to help each other and that assurance is in the long run beneficial to us as well.

To claim to be a Christian and then be resentful of those less fortunate and our governments attempts to help them is pitiful

I ask you to show me where it is the government's role to act in a Christian manner.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Despite the selfish attitudes of many like you we are all Americans. l

We are indeed. You, on the other hand...not even sure what planet you are from. You even hate poor people so much that you don't want to see them receive free boxes of food! That's just sick, man...sick.

Chris0nllyn

If Christians want to donate, nothing is stopping them. In fact, the govt. incentives you giving charity in the form of a tax break.

Again, this is an assistance program. If you want assistance, you get what you get. "Beggars can't be choosers".

Your comparison to Michelle Obama is a fair one. In that case, it was taxpayer money subsidizing the meals of those less fortunate. I have no problem with that, but if you want to eat something else, the schools didn't ban bringing in your own lunch, did they?

The comparisons to lotto winnigns and paychecks are simply way off base relating to this topic.

Now, that all being said, this is still a proposal and it would be idiotic to think this will be a one-size-fits-all program. Certain people have food allergies which may prevent certain boxes from going to certain people. It's worth noting that we're still talking about the federal govt. here and they aren't the best at managing large tasks like this (see my thread about the woman tasked with making box meals for Puerto Rico).

Last edited:

This_person

My attitude is not selfish. Just to help you understand, my attitude is about who should help, not whether help is appropriate.

Do you go out of your way to help Mr. Trump? Recall, you just said that is your duty.

Do you believe the government should act on Christian principles? If so, which denomination should we establish as the government's denomination?

You are conflating what people should do based upon your moral code and what government is tasked to do. You do that quite frequently. You need to learn that government is not a religion, not a savior. It has no role in picking and choosing winners and losers within American citizenry. It has no business in helping one person get over a house fire, for example, but not another. Or for one person to attend higher education and not another. Or for one to eat tilapia and not another. These are decisions people should make for themselves.

But, when a person goes to the government and asks for assistance, the specifics of the assistance provided should not be seen as somehow a choice from a group of options. "Yes, I'll take the Jiffy peanut butter, not the generic, please" is not "assistance". If you can be picky, you can buy it yourself.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Despite the selfish attitudes of many like you we are all Americans.

I am under NO Obligation to help anyone .... No One is Helping Me

We have a duty to one another to help each other .....

No, No We Do NOT ....

To claim to be a Christian ....

People of that Fake Book YOU Deride so Much ... you proven time and again how little you know about Christianity

... then be resentful of those less fortunate and our governments attempts to help them is pitiful

what the Gov. does is ROB People at Gun Point and give waste the money collected, ONLY Resentment at the waste

I Choose when and Where to Help People VOLUNTARILY ..... that is what Charity is Voluntary

steppinthrax

I wouldn't count on that.

Besides, until they actually unveil a plan, this is all just squabbling. Currently, my understanding is that their just putting ideas together and nothing is solid yet. Which has not prevented the media from having a #### fit over what they think it might be, and projecting how Trump is going to - you guessed it - kill us all.

My friend added if this program took off there would be rioting in the streets, people going crazy, losing their minds.

So there's that.

But yeah, I don't think it would pick up.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You need to learn that government is not a religion, not a savior. It has no role in picking and choosing winners and losers within American citizenry.

you do realize you are talking to a Fascist for whom the Gov. is the Solution to EVERYTHING ....

the 1st, last and final answer for solving the all the ills of the Country and the World - some gov functionary in Washington dictating to the rubes in the flyover states how they should act