Acrylic or Gel

redneck_woman

Starting Over
I have always done the acrylic on my nails and am getting a fresh set put on this Thursday. The acrylic is not lasting as long as I like it to, chipping too much, anyhow wanted to switch to Gel. Before I do, wanted to know if anyone does the Gel, do you like it better, does it hold up better than the acrylic? TIA

M

Mousebaby

I have always done the acrylic on my nails and am getting a fresh set put on this Thursday. The acrylic is not lasting as long as I like it to, chipping too much, anyhow wanted to switch to Gel. Before I do, wanted to know if anyone does the Gel, do you like it better, does it hold up better than the acrylic? TIA

I get gel, they seem to be a lot stronger. I also have them paint over my polish with a gel sealer because I use my hands so much, in water and dealing with cleaning, cooking, animals, kids, the whole 9 yards. I have only had one pop off and that was my own stupid fault. :lmao:

onebdzee

off the shelf

I highly recommend gel....I work with my hands all day and I don't have a problem with them at all :yay:

redneck_woman

Starting Over
That is me, I work with my hands all day. I don't do polish because it doesn't last, always a chipping, so they stay natural. So with the gel sealer over the color they last longer? I know this may sound stupid, but when your use to getting one thing, I really don't pay attention to the price of the gel, for fills how much do you pay. I normally go to Hollywood nails and have Rose take care of them.

I also got the pink and whites done, they are crap, just plain crap. They lasted me 2 weeks.

Gigi22

Gel is the way to go.. I have had them for over 2 years.. They are alot stronger and I too do alot of yard work and put my hands in water alot and they last.. But like anything else you have to keep them up.. You know when it is time to see your favorite nail tech.

M

Mousebaby

That is me, I work with my hands all day. I don't do polish because it doesn't last, always a chipping, so they stay natural. So with the gel sealer over the color they last longer? I know this may sound stupid, but when your use to getting one thing, I really don't pay attention to the price of the gel, for fills how much do you pay. I normally go to Hollywood nails and have Rose take care of them.

I also got the pink and whites done, they are crap, just plain crap. They lasted me 2 weeks.

I use Kim's Nails in San Soucci Plaza. Yes, my color NEVER chips with the sealer on it, that's why I get it. I paid about 40.00 for my initial set and then about 25.00 which includes tip every couple of weeks for fills. This place has the best prices and they do a great job too. I have been to several other places and have not been as pleased as I am with them. Their store doesn't look like much but it's the quality that counts! :yay:

redneck_woman

Starting Over
Gel is the way to go.. I have had them for over 2 years.. They are alot stronger and I too do alot of yard work and put my hands in water alot and they last.. But like anything else you have to keep them up.. You know when it is time to see your favorite nail tech.

I make my appointments every 2 weeks for a fill. My mom said just leave them off it's just an added expense. I can't do it, I feel naked without them.

redneck_woman

Starting Over
I use Kim's Nails in San Soucci Plaza. Yes, my color NEVER chips with the sealer on it, that's why I get it. I paid about 40.00 for my initial set and then about 25.00 which includes tip every couple of weeks for fills. This place has the best prices and they do a great job too. I have been to several other places and have not been as pleased as I am with them. Their store doesn't look like much but it's the quality that counts! :yay:

That is a lot cheaper than the pink and whites. I would go there, but the lady that I have been going to (Rose) at Hollywood nails has been very good to me. If something happens she doesn't charge me to fix it and she takes her time.

M

Mousebaby

That is a lot cheaper than the pink and whites. I would go there, but the lady that I have been going to (Rose) at Hollywood nails has been very good to me. If something happens she doesn't charge me to fix it and she takes her time.

Oh I understand and that is why I like this place. They do the same thing. If you are comfortable where you are don't change. It's best to stay where you are happiest. I'm sure she will be able to help you with the gel if you decide to go in that direction. Good Luck! :huggy:

Cowgirl

Now all the ladies in the place
If you got real hair, real fingernails
If you got a job, you going to school
And y'all need nobody to help you handle your business
Make some noooooiiiiise

:getdown:

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley
I get Solar Gel - which is a little more expensive but it lasts a lot longer than most. it looks real - I get the french manicure with the Solar gel and it stays and doesnt chip. If you went to Escape Nails in Waldorf - next to the AC Moore - they are really good in there and very nice and curious - but I wouldnt recommend Julie who did mine - she basically doesnt understand English and does her own thing to build up her commission.

Poohhunny1605

I have always gotten the gel, it looks more natural and you can go w/out polish or if you decide you don't like the color after a week and take off the color they still look pretty.

I used to go to New Nails in Waldorf and had Amy do mine, but she moved to VA..So, I stopped getting my nails done. It was too much of an expense. I still go back and get the occassional pedicure though.

redneck_woman

Starting Over
Gel it is, that is what I am going with Thursday.

Got a crazy question, just seeing if I am the only one that does it, when you break a nail and can't get to the nail shop to get it fixed as soon as you like, do you wrap a bandaid around it?

J

jp2854

I agree with the few that raised there hands to having there own real nails. I like my nails a lot better than I did when I did the gel nails as it got old spending money every 2 weeks to get them filled or taken off and put back on again because a few broke.

sockgirl77

I agree with the few that raised there hands to having there own real nails. I like my nails a lot better than I did when I did the gel nails as it got old spending money every 2 weeks to get them filled or taken off and put back on again because a few broke.

Ever seen what gel and acrylic does to your natural nail underneath? :barf:

J

jp2854

Ever seen what gel and acrylic does to your natural nail underneath? :barf:
yes I have that is another reason I quit doing it. I only did one set and said that was it as they broke off wiht in the first 3 days of having them as I worked with my hands all day. I will never ever again put on fake nails (that is what I call acrylic and gel nails).

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Now all the ladies in the place
If you got real hair, real fingernails
If you got a job, you going to school
And y'all need nobody to help you handle your business
Make some noooooiiiiise

:getdown:
I always get complimented on my nails, and they are completely natural and 99% of the time, not polished.

My hair, on the other hand, is getting assistance in retaining its natural color. :lol:

redneck_woman

Starting Over

This is my down time for myself, I color my hair myself, cut my hair myself, shiot I do everything myself. So getting the nails done is my treat to myself.