Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another When Prop-Gun 'Misfires'

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Back in 1970, my first husband owned a pizza shop. One of his regular customers was a local police officer. The police officer was off duty one day and in my husband's shop. The two of them were standing by the pinball machine and the police officer reached in his pocket to get change to play the pinball machine. He first pulled out his off-duty gun and laid it on the pinball machine, then he got his change and picked the gun up to put it back in his pocket when it went off killing my husband. I wasn't there at the time but I was told that when the gun went off the officer turned (I don't know why) and the gun fired again with the bullet striking the floor. So it's possible something like that could have happened in Alec's case, but I suspect you are correct in your assumption.

What a terrible story. :hug:

black dog

Free America
If its a blank does something still come out of the barrel .?

Generally a paper wad or just a flash of powder. Thats gonna be on of the big questions to be answered, where did this projectile come from? Live ammunition, Simunitions? 5 in one blanks? Black powder blanks? Who loaded this firearm or prop gun?
Some firearms are prop and some are actually firearms.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
There's supposed to be a person/team who manages the firearms before the actors get them, supposed to ensure they are not loaded with live ammo, etc.... and safe to use on set.

ginwoman

Back in 1970, my first husband owned a pizza shop. One of his regular customers was a local police officer. The police officer was off duty one day and in my husband's shop. The two of them were standing by the pinball machine and the police officer reached in his pocket to get change to play the pinball machine. He first pulled out his off-duty gun and laid it on the pinball machine, then he got his change and picked the gun up to put it back in his pocket when it went off killing my husband. I wasn't there at the time but I was told that when the gun went off the officer turned (I don't know why) and the gun fired again with the bullet striking the floor. So it's possible something like that could have happened in Alec's case, but I suspect you are correct in your assumption.
That's horrible. Was the officer charged with anything?

BOP

There's supposed to be a person/team who manages the firearms before the actors get them, supposed to ensure they are not loaded with live ammo, etc.... and safe to use on set.
They're being paid to stay home.

22AcaciaAve

It seems to me this is proof as to why specific gun control measures are needed. And since most of Hollywood is democrat, this should not be hard to enact. Moving forward, the use of all firearms in movies/television shall be prohibited. :evil:

Clem72

If its a blank does something still come out of the barrel .?

If I remember correctly the "blank" that killed Brandon Lee actually propelled a prior round that was stuck in the barrel. I like how they quote this as a misfire, when it sounds like a correct fire. Unless the exact same thing happened again.

Think I saw a similar show about handling guns on movie sets, the actor is supposed to be trained and the guy in charge of the gun is supposed to inspect it with the actor present to show that they load a blank and there are no misfired rounds stuck in the barrel. If that's true, then not only did the guy in charge of the gun screw up but so did the actor, and both should be charged with manslaughter.

Reactions: BOP

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Bobwhite

That's horrible. Was the officer charged with anything?
A grand jury was convened, but I don't believe any charges were brought against the officer. I later heard that he had resigned from the police force and did another tour in Viet Nam. I believe it was truly an accident.