Advice on method for watersealing rough-cut siding

highnote

We're finally ready to waterseal our barn this weekend. The wood has dried and there's no rain in the forecast.

We have board and batten siding. What is the best method for doing this?
Sprayer? Roller? Brush?

Someone told me to spray first, then use a roller.
Someone else suggested using all three.

This is the first time watersealing the barn, so it will probably soak up a lot. Someone suggested using some sort of sealant/primer before the actual watersealer so it won't soak up as much. Anyone done this?

My husband just thinks he can give it a quick spray-n-go. If you spray only (no roller or brush) won't it leave drip marks?

highnote

Oh, and any advice on brands/products to use? I've read poor reviews on thompsons... and I've not had good luck with olympic or cabot products either. Anyone ever use larsen timber wood preservative?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I used Thompsons on the chicken coops (press-board) and the plywood and so far so good, but I hear it's best to reapply every 2 to 3 years.

On the board fencing for the pasture we used "Black Asphalt Fence Paint" from Southern States and I don't think that has to be reapplied for 7-10 years if I remember correctly.

Oh, and any advice on brands/products to use? I've read poor reviews on thompsons... and I've not had good luck with olympic or cabot products either. Anyone ever use larsen timber wood preservative?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
People have used it (any may still), but the write-ups I've seen on the internet suggest that it doesn't BIND to the surface so will leach off more quickly than products made specifically to bind with the wood. Reapplication is frequently needed, there are laws in place in many states about used motor oil being hazardous waste, and I believe it also contains carcinogens?

Used motor oil

.... but don't tell anybody what you used.

highnote

Ark- do you have any photos of your board fencing? I'd like to see how dark of a coating the asphalt coating is. Can you still see the grain of the wood? Someone else suggested using driveway sealant, and this sounds similar.

Cowgirl

Ark- do you have any photos of your board fencing? I'd like to see how dark of a coating the asphalt coating is. Can you still see the grain of the wood? Someone else suggested using driveway sealant, and this sounds similar.

I used the asphalt coating on some landscape timbers we used as fence posts. It started off really black, but now has faded (after a year) and you can see the wood through it.

highnote

Thanks cowgirl. So what color would you describe it now? You dont happen to have any photos, do you?

Would using the black asphalt coating on the entire exterior of the barn make it more flamabile (succeptible to fire)?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
no you don't see the wood grain AT ALL - totally covers it dark black ...... now it's supposed to deter the Carpenter Bees, but I did see that some of them STILL bore through the wood in some places ....

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We used paint brushes and rollers and put on 2 thick coats so ours is STILL black after 2 years .....

I used the asphalt coating on some landscape timbers we used as fence posts. It started off really black, but now has faded (after a year) and you can see the wood through it.

Cowgirl

We used paint brushes and rollers and put on 2 thick coats so ours is STILL black after 2 years .....

Well I dipped the timbers in the bucket and then rolled up to about 4' high. I can't see the end that's in the ground, but ours definitely faded. I did one thick coat. I'll try to get picks later.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!

We have used the black fence paint from Ramm Fence, if black is the color you want to use. It has held up great! I think they say it has a 25yr no fade...other than being dirty or chewed...we are 6 years into some of the fences and it still looks great!