Aircraft carrier captain removed from duty after pleading for help with coronavirus outbreak

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Great conversations with two retired Captains and two retired Chiefs.....i‘m not Navy, and conversations were separate due to health issues, but none of the four were suprised......

awpitt

Main Streeter
Looks like the acting SecNAV is apologizing for some of the stuff he said to the Teddy Roosevelt crew. A good leader wouldn't have said those things in the first place.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't know where this thread stands, but additional information was released and now the reason why he was relieved of command is clear.
He bypassed the chain of command, his immediate superior, the admiral running the battle group, was right down the corridor from him and was not aware of his letter until it was emailed to him.
He released what would be considered troop strength, readiness information via unclassified means.
He had a direct line to SecNAV and choose not to use it, but rather go to the media.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I don't know where this thread stands, but additional information was released and now the reason why he was relieved of command is clear.
He bypassed the chain of command, his immediate superior, the admiral running the battle group, was right down the corridor from him and was not aware of his letter until it was emailed to him.
He released what would be considered troop strength, readiness information via unclassified means.
He had a direct line to SecNAV and choose not to use it, but rather go to the media.

I find it hard to believe that Adm. Baker who was "down the passageway" was unaware of the situation occurring on the ship he's embarked on.

At what point did the CO "go to the media"? The only thing that's been confirmed, as fact, is that the CO sent the email via NIPR. Nothing, from the DoD has said that the CO actually went directly to the media.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I find it hard to believe that Adm. Baker who was "down the passageway" was unaware of the situation occurring on the ship he's embarked on.

At what point did the CO "go to the media"? The only thing that's been confirmed, as fact, is that the CO sent the email via NIPR. Nothing, from the DoD has said that the CO actually went directly to the media.
They didn't comment on his knowledge of the situation, but rather the emails the Captain was sending and his letter.
He was relieved of command for sending the letter to the media - at least that was what I read in the statement for SecNav.
What the SecNav laid out was that the Captain had been given what he asked for, and was given direct access to the top if he needed help.
Apparently the Captain didn't like the pace at which the official Navy was moving and fired off a letter to the media - without any prior approval.

awpitt

Main Streeter
They didn't comment on his knowledge of the situation, but rather the emails the Captain was sending and his letter.
He was relieved of command for sending the letter to the media - at least that was what I read in the statement for SecNav.
What the SecNav laid out was that the Captain had been given what he asked for, and was given direct access to the top if he needed help.
Apparently the Captain didn't like the pace at which the official Navy was moving and fired off a letter to the media - without any prior approval.

Again, no one in the DoD has said that the CO sent the letter to the media. Here's the acting SecNAV's statement. He didn't say it. If I'm missing something, please quote the part of the statement where the SecNav says that the CO sent the letter to the media.

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display...wwmK7QqtHVqCr_9jn89xYefBglvtO2Ga5uJz1xuD7lv70

gemma_rae

Again, no one in the DoD has said that the CO sent the letter to the media. Here's the acting SecNAV's statement. He didn't say it. If I'm missing something, please quote the part of the statement where the SecNav says that the CO sent the letter to the media.

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display...wwmK7QqtHVqCr_9jn89xYefBglvtO2Ga5uJz1xuD7lv70
"At no time did the CO relay the various levels of alarm that I, along with the rest of the world, learned from his letter when it was published two days later."

He wrote it and the media published it.

Quit being stupid and stop :deadhorse

awpitt

Main Streeter
"At no time did the CO relay the various levels of alarm that I, along with the rest of the world, learned from his letter when it was published two days later."

He wrote it and the media published it.

Quit being stupid and stop :deadhorse

You stop being stupid. The claim was made that the acting SecNAV stated that the CO sent the letter to the media. The acting SecNAV did not say that. Yes, the CO wrote and the media published it. What you are missing is what may or may not have happened in between. It's been said that there were between 20-30 people on the distro for that letter. I was not said that any of the people on the distro were members of the media. Anyone one of those people could've been the leaker.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I, along with the rest of the world, learned from his letter when it was published two days later.

It is important to understand that the Strike Group Commander, the CO’s immediate boss, is embarked on the Theodore Roosevelt, right down the passageway from him. The letter was sent over non- secure, unclassified email even though that ship possesses some of the most sophisticated communications and encryption equipment in the Fleet.

It was sent outside the chain of command, at the same time the rest of the Navy was fully responding. Worse, the Captain’s actions made his Sailors, their families, and many in the public believe that his letter was the only reason help from our larger Navy family was forthcoming, which was hardly the case.

gemma_rae

You stop being stupid. The claim was made that the acting SecNAV stated that the CO sent the letter to the media. The acting SecNAV did not say that. Yes, the CO wrote and the media published it. What you are missing is what may or may not have happened in between. It's been said that there were between 20-30 people on the distro for that letter. I was not said that any of the people on the distro were members of the media. Anyone one of those people could've been the leaker.
Yep, That's what we said alright.

Quit being stupid and:deadhorse

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yep, That's what we said alright.

Quit being stupid and:deadhorse

Yes. As I've already said, more than once, we all know the CO wrote the letter. So stop pointing that out. And, yes, we all know that the media published the letter. So stop pointing that out.

What we all DO NOT KNOW is how the media got the letter. To say that the CO leaked it is only a guess. There were at least 20 people on the distro. Anyone of whom could be the one who leaked the letter.

NO ONE in the DoD has said that the CO stands accused of leaking or sending the letter to the press.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'll say this to you as well since you keep missing the point......................

Yes. As I've already said, more than once, we all know the CO wrote the letter. So stop pointing that out. And, yes, we all know that the media published the letter. So stop pointing that out.
What we all DO NOT KNOW is how the media got the letter. To say that the CO leaked it is only a guess. There were at least 20 people on the distro. Anyone of whom could be the one who leaked the letter.
NO ONE in the DoD has said that the CO stands accused of leaking or sending the letter to the press.

gemma_rae

We will never stop pointing that out because there's your own admission, that he e-mailed it an additional 20 idiots, per you, you idiot, that had no need to know. Thereby insuring it would be leaked.

WTF kind of drugs are you on?

awpitt

Main Streeter
We will never stop pointing that out because there's your own admission, that he e-mailed it an additional 20 idiots, per you, you idiot, that had no need to know. Thereby insuring it would be leaked.

WTF kind of drugs are you on?

My point, that you missed, is that there is no confirmation that the CO leaked the letter to the media. That point still stands and is fact until the DoD releases information to the contrary. You're the idiot because you can't understand that. On ignore you go.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't blame him. I'd chew my arm off to get away from a moron like you.
Gen Jack Keane was on WMAL talking about the situation and how Modly let his emotions get in the way.
Nice letter from Modly today. Modly made the same mistakes the Captain did, he didn't let the chain of command handle it.
He got personally involved, to the point of jumping on his jet and going out to the ship.
His personal involvement may have caused the Captain to initially declare that he had it under control.
If they had trusted in the Navy command, neither would be out of a job today - that was the General's opinion.

PeoplesElbow

Gen Jack Keane was on WMAL talking about the situation and how Modly let his emotions get in the way.
Nice letter from Modly today. Modly made the same mistakes the Captain did, he didn't let the chain of command handle it.
He got personally involved, to the point of jumping on his jet and going out to the ship.
His personal involvement may have caused the Captain to initially declare that he had it under control.
If they had trusted in the Navy command, neither would be out of a job today - that was the General's opinion.
What I didn't get is why he got so butthurt over the crews opinions, as if they weren't allowed to have them. How could he think it was a good idea to chastise the crew for being upset?