Al Gore?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I think differently about this.

If God really is all-powerful, I doubt He will let us destroy his creation. If we, as humans, start getting to be too much for Mother Earth, why wouldn't God just adjust something in the Earth to compensate?
Say a tidal wave or earthquake or famine or plaque or terrorists --- oops ... we have those. Could it be most are missing the message?

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
2ndAmendment said:
Say a tidal wave or earthquake or famine or plaque or terrorists --- oops ... we have those. Could it be most are missing the message?

Are you suggesting that because we are warming the planet, your God told a bunch of extremists to fly planes into the World Trade Center?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
wxtornado said:
Are you suggesting that because we are warming the planet, your God told a bunch of extremists to fly planes into the World Trade Center?
If He can send a huge flood to wipe every one out, is flying planes into a building such a stretch?

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
vraiblonde said:
If He can send a huge flood to wipe every one out, is flying planes into a building such a stretch?

This is assuming "He" #1, exists, and #2 caused a deluge, one of which we have no evidence of. Assuming both to be true, no, it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nucklesack said:
But then your making the argument that the terrorists are doing Gods work..... which is what they say also
If you are a true Christian, then you believe everyone and everything does God's work, regardless of whether mere mortals understand it or not.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
wxtornado said:
This is assuming "He" #1, exists, and #2 caused a deluge, one of which we have no evidence of. Assuming both to be true, no, it wouldn't be much of a stretch.
Well, there you go. Christians believe God exists and they believe he flooded the earth.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
vraiblonde said:
Well, there you go. Christians believe God exists and they believe he flooded the earth.

I see your point - maybe it was a dumb question to ask - to ask 2A anyway.........

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Tonio said:
In my view, natural disasters do not prove anything about the supernatural.

Gore doesnt prove much more on his terms as it stands.

Gore is a complet moron, looking to find a new way to make himself known. If anything hes the anti-christ, preaching what he wants everyone to believe but when it comes down to doing his duties as the leader of the "global warming" revolution. Remember his mansion consumes 20 times the individual average across america. And i dont care about his green power, or environmentaly safe energy. If he cared that much about it he would live in a mud house, using candles and fearing camers because they use the energy that polutes. Gore is a hack, he is looking for his last 15 minutes of fame, and once everyone realizes he has no proof of his findings, he will disapear again till his next venture.

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
blazinlow89 said:
Gore doesnt prove much more on his terms as it stands.

True, Gore claims that global warming is the consequence of human action, which might make him sound like Pat Robertson. The difference is that Gore's claim deals with natural consequences, action and reaction. Putting aside the question of whether Gore is correct, I can respect the principle behind the natural consequences argument. Robertson's claim deals with artificial consequences. He insists that a supreme deity decides to punish humans for not pleasing him, and that notion cannot be tested scientifically like claims about the natural world. It would be weird to imagine Gore blaming global warming on cultures following different religions or on school districts teaching evolution.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Roughidle said:
Throw a few virgins into the volcano and maybe Gore will smile upon us and spare us from ourselves. :razz:

Good one! :lol:

Seriously, I see little difference between the virgin sacrifices in primitive cultures and the witch-executions in medieval Europe and colonial America. Both took place after a natural catastrophe. Was it simply the lack of understanding of natural phenomena that led humans to assume that the catastrophes were divine punishments? Or is that assumption hard-wired into our psyches? I hope it is the former.

Roughidle

Tonio said:
Seriously, I see little difference between the virgin sacrifices in primitive cultures and the witch-executions in medieval Europe and colonial America. Both took place after a natural catastrophe. Was it simply the lack of understanding of natural phenomena that led humans to assume that the catastrophes were divine punishments? Or is that assumption hard-wired into our psyches? I hope it is the former.
Nothing as noble as either one in my opinion. I believe it was merely a show of power to keep the peons in order and hold onto one's power. Nothing makes people worship you more than the fear of you killing them if they don't. Doing so after natural catastrophes or wonders is just the smart ones capitalizing on circumstance to increase their validity.

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Roughidle said:
Nothing as noble as either one in my opinion. I believe it was merely a show of power to keep the peons in order and hold onto one's power. Nothing makes people worship you more than the fear of you killing them if they don't.

Excellent point. It reminds me of the old story about Christopher Columbus using a lunar eclipse to extort food and supplies from the natives in Jamaica. When you say "worship," do you mean the worship of deity or worship of a ruler who claims some affiliation with deity?

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
wxtornado said:

It is clear that the terrorists hate America because of our freedoms and our "lifestlyes" (perversions). If you are up to it, read 2 passages in the Bible and see that God did NOT cause 9/11. (Isaiah 54 v 14 & 15 and John 16 v 2 & 3). You'll find that He allowed it to get our attention because of how far we've fallen as a country. He could have stopped it but He didn't. You can also see that it brought us all together for a short time. Nothing happens in this world without His permission. That is the faith I spoke of in my earlier post. :yahoo:

MMDad

Lem Putt
heavenly was said:
Do you think that Al gore is really God in disguise?
Who would have thought such a ridiculous question could have elicited so many serious responses. Amazing.

Roughidle

Tonio said:
When you say "worship," do you mean the worship of deity or worship of a ruler who claims some affiliation with deity?
I'm no historian but I would imagine most early rulers/tribal leaders would have been seen as Gods or possessed of God like powers and so worshiped as such.

brendar buhl

Doesn't seem Christian
MMDad said:
Who would have thought such a ridiculous question could have elicited so many serious responses. Amazing.
Interesting indeed. I guess people in power (or potentially in power) will always try to leverage events to their favor. Al Gore is leveraging some natural phenomenon and a lack on scientific data to feed his ambition. Pat Robertson leveraged the events of 911 and a lack of rational thinking in America to feed his ambition. Lets face it, natural disasters happen because it is a big world and people are small. Terrorism happens because people are pricks.