Alan Keyes' attacks

rraley

Alot is said about Democratic "hatred" directed toward President Bush. Well, what is to be said about Alan Keyes, the Maryland resident who is running for the Senate in Illinois, who has recently said that his Democratic opponent Barack Obama does not hold the principles of Abraham Lincoln and that he takes the "slaveholder's position" on abortion rights? This is a Regan-appointed ambassador, two time candidate for President, and about million time candidate for lower office. Doesn't this sort of harsh rhetoric seem hateful?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I heard Alan Keyes speak at an event about 10 years ago, during one of his runs for Senate. He ranted about Congress, and he got so worked up that I expected him to storm into the Capitol and throw punches at people at random.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Tonio
I heard Alan Keyes speak at an event about 10 years ago, during one of his runs for Senate. He ranted about Congress, and he got so worked up that I expected him to storm into the Capitol and throw punches at people at random.
That would be refreshing.

Steve

Enjoying life!
I was an early supporter of Keyes in 2000. But the more I watched him, the more zealous he seemed to be. I think he has some great ideas, and he is passionate to say the least, but I think he is close-minded to anyone who disagrees with him. I think of Keyes as "most likely to resort to filibuster" on almost any issue. :biggrin:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Steve
I was an early supporter of Keyes in 2000. But the more I watched him, the more zealous he seemed to be. I think he has some great ideas, and he is passionate to say the least, but I think he is close-minded to anyone who disagrees with him. I think of Keyes as "most likely to resort to filibuster" on almost any issue. :biggrin:
Great speaker, you know EXACTLY where he stands, tells the truth no matter who is asking the question, I would vote for him.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Originally posted by Pete
Great speaker, you know EXACTLY where he stands, tells the truth no matter who is asking the question, I would vote for him.

Yes, we do know exactly where he stands. But a lot of politics is about compromise, and although his ideas are great IMHO and needed, I don't think he has the ability to convince the left to bring them to fruition. He'd be great in a supporting role.

Steve

Enjoying life!
When I took that test that aligns you with a candidate back in 2000, Keyes was the one I most aligned with. Bush came in third based on my answers. That's when I started following Keyes' campaign.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But a lot of politics is about compromise
That's what I liked about him so much - NO COMPROMISE! That's also why he'll never be President and it's highly doubtful he'll be in the Senate, either. But, boy, wouldn't THAT be something?

I didn't hear or read Keyes' comments and would be more willing to voice opinion after seeing them in context and what exactly was said.

Pete

Repete
Yes, we do know exactly where he stands. But a lot of politics is about compromise, and although his ideas are great IMHO and needed, I don't think he has the ability to convince the left to bring them to fruition. He'd be great in a supporting role.
Convince the left? Are you daft man? In the 50 years since the libs have been around we have convinced them of nothing. It is like talking to a brick. There is no convincing the left, they live in a make believe utopia. There is nothing left but to force the issue. Keyes would make a great front man.

Steve

Enjoying life!
And without compromise, you get nothing accomplished. I'm not saying he isn't good, don't get me wrong. But it would be a wasted 6 years if all he did was argue to death every little nuance of each Bill that came through that he didn't agree with.

Article about Keyes' statement: click me

Steve

Enjoying life!
Convince the left? Are you daft man? In the 50 years since the libs have been around we have convinced them of nothing. It is like talking to a brick. There is no convincing the left, they live in a make believe utopia. There is nothing left but to force the issue. Keyes would make a great front man.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, for now. Let's see what his campaign brings out.

Just remember, I'm a little more centrist that you, or maybe I'm feeling non-partisan today. :biggrin:

Economic Left/Right: 1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
You have a point, Steve. I don't like holy warriors, whether they're in religion or in politics. When you think of one opponents as not just misguided but evil, the only logical conclusion is that those opponents must be killed.

he is passionate to say the least

And that's my other concern about Keyes. That kind of anger inevitably leads to aggression and violence.

Pete

Repete
You have a point, Steve. I don't like holy warriors, whether they're in religion or in politics. When you think of one opponents as not just misguided but evil, the only logical conclusion is that those opponents must be killed.

And that's my other concern about Keyes. That kind of anger inevitably leads to aggression and violence.
Don't worry, he already has lunch money, he wont take yours.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Don't worry, he already has lunch money, he wont take yours.

Huh? :confused: I was actually imagining Keyes and Michael Moore in a Celebrity Death Match.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just what are you talking about?
Because you always think when someone's angry, they're going to start beating people up. I've been ferociously angry a zillion times in my life and can count on one hand the number of times I've actually hit someone.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Alan Keyes is...

...the man, was the man and always will be the man.

But a lot of politics is about compromise

Politics is about WHAT you compromise.

It is impossible to listen to Alan Keyes in debate or a speech and not be totally impressed with how great an American he is.

As far as abortion, he's right. Obana says "It's none of my business, nor governments, what you do with your baby (blob, property, 'thingy')".

The pro slavery position was "it's none of my business what you do with your property".

Hate speeech? Guess I'd hate it to if I someone pointed out that one of my policy positions is exactly like that of the pro-slavery excuses.