Aldi -- Overhyped?

Chris0nllyn

The first time we went to Aldi's was to see how it worked - we didn't shop until we saw it working. We liked the coin thing - it meant that there was ALWAYS A CART there, and you never had to forage through the parking lot for one. Often people would just take your quarter and hand you theirs from the store. We've already been buying bags for stores, like Giant - but you can STILL buy a bag for a dime if you want. You bag your own - not a problem. I often do that ANYWAY at other stores, just to be polite.

Not to mention it reduces costs by not having to hire a cart-guy. It's also a very common practice in Europe.

Having no bags is no different than BJ's, Sam's Club, or any other similar type of store.

Aldi's origins are German I believe, so you do see a lot of German brands. It's no frills, no thrills, but is much cheaper. Have not had any quality issues with the "off" brand items. Just wished that since they are German that they would carry THESE delicious little treats that we found while visiting Germany!

Attachments

• hippos.jpg
    hippos.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 246

pelers

Aldi's origins are German I believe, so you do see a lot of German brands. It's no frills, no thrills, but is much cheaper. Have not had any quality issues with the "off" brand items. Just wished that since they are German that they would carry THESE delicious little treats that we found while visiting Germany!

Kinder eggs, Bahlsen lebkuchen...

What I'd really love to find around here is some german rye bread. It's a really hard bread, great for spreading yummy stuff on.

Chris0nllyn

What I'd really love to find around here is some german rye bread. It's a really hard bread, great for spreading yummy stuff on.

I'd love to find some sort of comparable German bakery 'round here.

mmmm....Pretzels.

Now I have a hankering for Maultaschen and bread. :lol:

Haven't seen a German rye but you can get a Russian rye at Giant. It was in front of the deli counter, but I noticed today they completely re-arranged the breads.

pelers

Haven't seen a German rye but you can get a Russian rye at Giant. It was in front of the deli counter, but I noticed today they completely re-arranged the breads.

I'll have to go poke through again and see what they have. Thanks :huggy:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not to mention it reduces costs by not having to hire a cart-guy. It's also a very common practice in Europe.

Having no bags is no different than BJ's, Sam's Club, or any other similar type of store.

except it's not a warehouse / wholesale type store.
BJ's carries name brands, which they will accept coupons for, in addition to their own branded merchandise

Radiant1

Soul Probe

If you're ok with buying food from Amazon I think you can buy both there. The Kinder Eggs are a big thing with the geeky crowd at GMHS.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
BJ's carries name brands, which they will accept coupons for, in addition to their own branded merchandise

Sounds like a neighborhood grocery to me. I'll have to check them out tomorrow and grab a bag of chicken thighs to toss on the Webber.

I wonder if they carry Afro Sheen products...

sockgirl77

Pay attention to price per unit at BJ's. They are often more expensive. You think that you are getting a better deal because it is larger, but that is usually not the case. As far as using coupons, you are better off using them on smaller items. Take Tide for example, save $2 on a $5 50 oz or $2 on a $19 120 oz bottle? Use the $2 off coupons on multiple smaller bottles and this is how you get more bang for your buck. Take a look at fabric softener liquid too. The bigger bottles are actually more $$$ per ounce.

P.S. Target is almost always the best option for couponing for laundry items. Not that anyone GAFF, but just thought that I'd help.

Attachments

• more you know.jpg
    more you know.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 148
I still contend Aldi is great for staples. Today, large white eggs were .69/doz. At Giant, $2.00 and up.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I still contend Aldi is great for staples. Today, large white eggs were .69/doz. At Giant, $2.00 and up.

It was good talking to you today. I meant to stop at Aldi's and figured, meh, on my way home. Maybe tomorrow when I have my shopping bags.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

I have been shopping off and on at the Brandywine Aldi since it opened, and have found that most of their items are of good quality. I'm not impressed with their meat or fresh produce all the time, but overall, I find good values there. I do my other shopping at Safeway, so between the two I save money. I do like the quality of their "seasonal" merchandise, and the prices are decent on those items too. One of the big differences in prices as an example is on the 4 pack fruit cups. I can get them in Aldi for $1.89 a package, and in Safeway they seem to start at 2.99 to $3.49. Quality of the fruit cups is great (tastes same as name brand to us) compared to the Target store brand which is poor. Chocolate is a great buy there. I started shopping at Aldi to buy the chocolate after a co-worker gave me some as a gift. I'm picky and prefer name brands, so it took me a while to try their other products .... overall you can save a good bit of money there, and still shop elsewhere for items they don't carry.

I like that Aldis has things you don't find anywhere else and I like to try them just to see if they are any good. Like frozen chicken fried steak. Add some white gravy and a focaccia (also at Aldi), great lunch. Yesterday I picked up a box of cheese breadsticks, just because. I was duly impressed. They have small serving size eggplant parm and stuffed manicotti. The eggplant actually tastes like eggplant, although a bit soft.

There are things that don't make the grade, like some of the chips and crackers. For those, I'll still buy the name brand.