Local Business Ale House (Lexington Park)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Tried the Ale House tonight for the first time. Eh.

Got wings for an app and the sliced beef sandwich (french dip) for dinner. The wings were obviously reheated in a microwave leaving them chewy. No one should EVER put meat in a microwave. The sandwich was good but the horseradish sauce was bitter. Kinda ruined the sandwich for me. Also kind of pricey for just those 2 items and an iced tea.

I'll give it another try again, sometime, maybe....
your culinary experiences...dang. It's almost like there is a picture of you in all the restaurant kitchens. " hey guys, that guy is in .....get those leftovers ready..."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tried the Ale House tonight for the first time. Eh.

Got wings for an app and the sliced beef sandwich (french dip) for dinner. The wings were obviously reheated in a microwave leaving them chewy. No one should EVER put meat in a microwave. The sandwich was good but the horseradish sauce was bitter. Kinda ruined the sandwich for me. Also kind of pricey for just those 2 items and an iced tea.

I'll give it another try again, sometime, maybe....

Let's explore this.

Straight, you never like any restaurant. Why? I know you can cook, and many times people compare what they get in the restaurant with their own skills and the restaurant comes up short. Is that it?

Not that I want to stick up for Ale House because I've never been there and have no idea what the chow's like; I just find it interesting that you never seem to enjoy any meal you get in a restaurant. This is not a bust on you or a defense of restaurants, just something that interests me from a human behavior aspect.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Let's explore this.

Straight, you never like any restaurant. Why? I know you can cook, and many times people compare what they get in the restaurant with their own skills and the restaurant comes up short. Is that it?

Not that I want to stick up for Ale House because I've never been there and have no idea what the chow's like; I just find it interesting that you never seem to enjoy any meal you get in a restaurant. This is not a bust on you or a defense of restaurants, just something that interests me from a human behavior aspect.

Actually, I see this in a couple people I know. I'll call LT out on this, if she happens to see this, and say she's kind of like that. :wink: She's a fantastic cook but she loves trying new restaurants, new food, etc. I consider her a good source as my food critic. She'll tell it like it is, you really have to impress her. I'm not as good as a cook as she is (more of a baker) but I'm pretty darn good AND I've had about a decade of restaurant work experience. I know all the ####ty things some places do to try and convince you their food is worth it. I like to think I have the same opinions (problems? Is it a burden?) Nothing around here really impresses me much past "Yea it was Ok".

We used to spend a lot of time driving around the DMV area in search of good eats. We found plenty, just not much around here. I'm fairly forgiving in that if I'm not impressed, I'll still be willing to give a second chance. Or if the food is fantastic but the service is sub-par, I'll happily go back but I'll make sure I have no set schedule or expectations besides good food.

Plus I'll give it to GW, he's a northerner like me and since the North is full of crappy weather and liberals, we take our food - specifically the quality - very seriously. We don't have much else :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nothing around here really impresses me much past "Yea it was Ok".

I'm way more generous in my assessments, and not terribly demanding. We eat out frequently and typically enjoy the places we end up at - we don't get too many disappointments. One thing I rarely do is compare this restaurant's whatever to what I've eaten elsewhere. As in, this steakhouse's ribeye stands on its own merit, not compared to the best steak I've ever had in my whole entire life (which I don't even know where that was).

Austinites like to argue about food, BBQ and breakfast tacos in particular. This place has the best; no, THIS place does; meh, you people don't know what you're talking about, THIS place is the best. Like that. IMO, good BBQ is all good, and breakfast tacos....good grief, get a life. What a dumb thing to get snobbish about. This place having good brisket doesn't prevent this other place from having good brisket as well, but you cannot convince Austin pseudosnobs of that. AND they will ridicule you if you say you thought the BBQ at X was pretty good, and it's not on their "approved list". :lol: (They're also a bunch of hippie liberals here, which explains their intolerance and conviction that they're right and everyone else is wrong.)

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. My point (I think) is that I consistently have good restaurant experiences, so I'm curious when someone has such consistently bad or meh experiences. Maybe I just have low standards.

Let's explore this.

Nope. I just have higher expectations and have yet to find it down here. I can go to just about any restaurant on Long Island/New York/CT/NJ and walk away impressed. It's prepared properly, not just some frozen reheated slop. You charge me top dollar for a meal, I expect a top dollar meal. Just that simple.