Am I A Bad Person??

erinjograves

Please dont be mean to me on this? I know I was taught differently than other people, and I just got reamed out for venting on COTH because I corrected a horse that a friend of mine was looking at and because I said to the horse "dont make me put a chain on your nose" for throwing her head in my face and pushing me backwards. I didnt even have a chain or really intend on using one. I just wanted her to behave. But now I feel like I am a horrible horse person for correcting a horse that was extremely pushy and did kick out 2 or 3 times. Am I a bad person? I certainly feel like one!

IntegritysDream

I know a lot of people use a chain on the nose when a horse is being pushy or bossy or mis behaving in a dangerous way. I dont think its mean unless you put it under their chin or use it in a unfair way. And if you were just joking around anyways, i dont think thats anything to feel bad or get uspet over.. If the horse is being bossy, then its gotta learn some ground manners at some point or it could hurt someone.

I know people when they are on a horse and its being bad, they say "dont make me beat you horse" but they would never beat them.. its just a joke kinda thing...

IntegritysDream

plus if u puta chain on under the chin, its dangerous cause it will cause a horse to rear, and i know chains in general can sometimes make a situation worse, or a horse will respect it.. if its used properly

erinjograves

Thank you! Its nice to know I am not the only one out there that says things when they are frustrated that they dont mean. I use to tell Majic I was gonna beat her when no one was looking - would I ever? No!! And I totally agree about the chain. The only time I ever put a chain under the chin is when I show in halter and thats only because its required. Thank you again.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
No, you are not a bad person. I personally will not tolerate any bad ground manners and so if I have to pull out a chain or a rope halter, there are no questions asked. Don't feel bad about it, you were kidding and even if you weren't it doesn't really matter. The horse will not die or even get injured from a chain over the nose (unless they are a total nut job and succeed to freak out), it just lets them know that Hey, there is a person attached to that rope so I better not mess with them or the top of my nose is going to get a little tender.
I tell my horses I'm going to beat them all the time too. ;) It's just over exaggeration... sometimes. :lmao:

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Please dont be mean to me on this? I know I was taught differently than other people, and I just got reamed out for venting on COTH because I corrected a horse that a friend of mine was looking at and because I said to the horse "dont make me put a chain on your nose" for throwing her head in my face and pushing me backwards. I didnt even have a chain or really intend on using one. I just wanted her to behave. But now I feel like I am a horrible horse person for correcting a horse that was extremely pushy and did kick out 2 or 3 times. Am I a bad person? I certainly feel like one!

I put a lip chain on my two year old this week and cranked her till her lip bled :whistle: it was all over her WN shots..pizzed me off..

erinjograves

See now I know I belong on this forum and Not COTH. I was basically told I would get my ass kicked if I ever said that to any of their horses. And you know what, if they wanna let thier horses walk on them thats fine. Not me dude! I am faithfull to my nose chain and my horses know it!!! Thanks again guys! I knew I could count on you to make me feel better!! :)

mingiz

Horse Poor
If I have a horse in hand (mine or some ones) I don't care what you think what I say or do if that horse threatens me in any manner. I will correct it to prevent my self from getting hurt..If it needs a spanking it will get it. Just ask Fat Pony....:lmao: If the owner gets pissed I will hand thier horse to them and say C-Ya...It's not worth it....:whistle:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
See now I know I belong on this forum and Not COTH. I was basically told I would get my ass kicked if I ever said that to any of their horses. And you know what, if they wanna let thier horses walk on them thats fine. Not me dude! I am faithfull to my nose chain and my horses know it!!! Thanks again guys! I knew I could count on you to make me feel better!! :)

Geez, perhaps I need to keep off that other forum too!! :whistle:I'm all for a nose chain if need be.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
If I have a horse in hand (mine or some ones) I don't care what you think what I say or do if that horse threatens me in any manner. I will correct it to prevent my self from getting hurt..If it needs a spanking it will get it. Just ask Fat Pony....:lmao: If the owner gets pissed I will hand thier horse to them and say C-Ya...It's not worth it....:whistle:

So you like to spank huh!!!!:howdy::lmao:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Well that will make her love shots! :jet:

Actually some of these young pasos are crazy with being over sensitive..they go nuts over shots..what I can not stand is the rearing just trying to stick the needle in the neck..tied or not rear rear cant get them stuck..then rearing to avoid the twitch so I had to lip chain to get the twitch on then stood like an angel to get the shot...if you think you can get her vaccinated another way I will call you next time I will gladly let you do it.. :yay:

ElliesMom

my horses name when she is bad is "ho". And Yes I tell her I am gonna beat her all the time. I've only had to assertm my dominance once or twice. Now its well established who is actually the boss.

I am so bad, I even correct other peoples children (gasp):whistle:

Your not a bad person, your just normal.

Cowgirl

Actually some of these young pasos are crazy with being over sensitive..they go nuts over shots..what I can not stand is the rearing just trying to stick the needle in the neck..tied or not rear rear cant get them stuck..then rearing to avoid the twitch so I had to lip chain to get the twitch on then stood like an angel to get the shot...if you think you can get her vaccinated another way I will call you next time I will gladly let you do it.. :yay:

:blowdart: :lmao:

crpc

I think there were some people that didn't agree with you and others that did. COTH can have a mob mentality sometimes...but take it all w/a grain of salt. Most of the posters are more brave b/c you don't know who they are.

Spicober

Exactly-why let a 1200lb animal "walk" on you, when you have "tools" like a chain to help.

devinej

i don't think you are a bad person. i certainly at least would have been Thinking that. though i do try to Hide any thing like that when i go look at someone else's horse....definitely have self preservation, but i try to be polite and then once i get in the car to leave "geez did you see how awful that horse was!!" haha. in case the people who own the horse are sensitive to that stuff and you want to be invited back for whatever reason...be subtle.