Am I A Bad Person??

fredsaid2

What is COTH?

Chronicle of the Horse

Post at your own risk! Seriously, they run the gamut from professional to back yarders. Lots of great info and news, a worthwhile read. If you post someone is bound to jump down your throat and the pack mentality rules.

Tazgirl

Please dont be mean to me on this? I know I was taught differently than other people, and I just got reamed out for venting on COTH because I corrected a horse that a friend of mine was looking at and because I said to the horse "dont make me put a chain on your nose" for throwing her head in my face and pushing me backwards. I didnt even have a chain or really intend on using one. I just wanted her to behave. But now I feel like I am a horrible horse person for correcting a horse that was extremely pushy and did kick out 2 or 3 times. Am I a bad person? I certainly feel like one!

No you are not a bad person at all. I have a horse that acts like that all the time and if I had known how to handle him from the first I might not be in the situations I am in now. I have learned the hard way (and with the help of a good friend) how to handle them. If you let them get away with it they will do worse and they will try you all the time.

Last edited:

covekat

I went to look at a small pony a few yrs ago for my daughter...he was about 10 hands... while leading him down to the ring, the owner (a grown woman also) told me to "watch out"!

I asked her for what, and she told me he had the habit of bolting, and she had the rope burns to prove it... I told her she should try a chain over his nose to correct him... she looked at me like I had two heads...

Some people just dont get it!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Couple things...
1) No horse EVER for ANY reason has the right to endanger it's handler or other horses and handlers.

I always get compliments on how well behaved my stallion is. I don't give a flying fig that he's a 17.2h draft horse stallion. If he were a 15.1h qh gelding he should be have, if he's a 16h warmblood mare he should behave. If he's the cutest dang 12.2h mutt pony in the world he should behave. Fright is a minimal excuse for bad behavior. I'm okay with a horse that goes "eek!", but with proper fundamentals and respect even a horse who spooks should be able to come back to work, focus, and function. If the horse can't there are elements missing in either it's training, the handler's training or both. I tell people who compliment my horse's behavior that size and balls are not excuse to misbehave. Neither is anything else.

2) Do you ride with a whip or spurs? Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive? Do you lock your doors at night?

These are all tools that while not necessary are helpful. Just because your door is locked doesn't mean a burgler won't break in, but it is a deterrant. Just because you're wearing a seatbelt doesn't mean you won't get an accident or injured, but it could well save your life. Just because you carry a whip doesn't mean you have to use it. So, it should follow that just because you have a chain on horse doesn't mean you have to use it. I have a 21yr old QH mare who needs a chain on her nose to load in a trailer. You don't have to use it. Just put in on and she listens perfectly. Otherwise she WILL put her head down and take inexperienced handlers dirt skiing.

3) Saying things you don't mean.

Hmm, has anyone EVER said "I'm gonna kill _________" or "I'm so mad I could spit nails". Etc, etc, etc. I don't think anyone sane ever says those things and then does them. Hello.

4) COTH. Yep, I'm on there, have visited in a while though. It's rare to have a 100% friendly post in there, almost always it reverts to name calling and childish antics by people who strive to remain anonymous. As someone else said anonymity makes people brave (and stupid[okay, I added the stupid part]). We've had similar problems on this board with certain people posting rude and inappropriate comments and when confronted they hide behind their screen name. Don't let people who are too cowardly to be face to face with your hurt your feelings or make you feel bad.

Tazgirl

Couple things...
1) No horse EVER for ANY reason has the right to endanger it's handler or other horses and handlers.

I always get compliments on how well behaved my stallion is. I don't give a flying fig that he's a 17.2h draft horse stallion. If he were a 15.1h qh gelding he should be have, if he's a 16h warmblood mare he should behave. If he's the cutest dang 12.2h mutt pony in the world he should behave. Fright is a minimal excuse for bad behavior. I'm okay with a horse that goes "eek!", but with proper fundamentals and respect even a horse who spooks should be able to come back to work, focus, and function. If the horse can't there are elements missing in either it's training, the handler's training or both. I tell people who compliment my horse's behavior that size and balls are not excuse to misbehave. Neither is anything else.

2) Do you ride with a whip or spurs? Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive? Do you lock your doors at night?

These are all tools that while not necessary are helpful. Just because your door is locked doesn't mean a burgler won't break in, but it is a deterrant. Just because you're wearing a seatbelt doesn't mean you won't get an accident or injured, but it could well save your life. Just because you carry a whip doesn't mean you have to use it. So, it should follow that just because you have a chain on horse doesn't mean you have to use it. I have a 21yr old QH mare who needs a chain on her nose to load in a trailer. You don't have to use it. Just put in on and she listens perfectly. Otherwise she WILL put her head down and take inexperienced handlers dirt skiing.

Hmm, has anyone EVER said "I'm gonna kill _________" or "I'm so mad I could spit nails". Etc, etc, etc. I don't think anyone sane ever says those things and then does them. Hello.

4) COTH. Yep, I'm on there, have visited in a while though. It's rare to have a 100% friendly post in there, almost always it reverts to name calling and childish antics by people who strive to remain anonymous. As someone else said anonymity makes people brave (and stupid[okay, I added the stupid part]). We've had similar problems on this board with certain people posting rude and inappropriate comments and when confronted they hide behind their screen name. Don't let people who are too cowardly to be face to face with your hurt your feelings or make you feel bad.

You go girl!!! I knew I liked you for a reason:buddies:

quartermom

Low & Slow
Couple things...

:yeahthat:

erinjograves

Couple things...

Thank you! :) This post def made me feel better! You always have great advice and answers. Thank you for this post. :buddies:

ElliesMom

You guys ROCK!!!!:howdy:

I like people who say it ike it is, can be civil and disagree all at the same time. Good conversation.:buddies: