An accident that could have happened anywhere.....

glhs837

Power with Control
Just saw the second article.

Carrying a Glock 19 in your pants pocket without a holster is negligent. I hope he gets some re-training from his employer about safe handling of his firearm. As a LEO he may be allowed to carry in a establishment that serves liquor, doesn't mean he can be careless about it.

sounds like the only retraining he'll get is being laughed at by his fellow officers for a while, maybe a cool nickname like "Half-cocked" for a while.

officeguy

sounds like the only retraining he'll get is being laughed at by his fellow officers for a while, maybe a cool nickname like "Half-cocked" for a while.

Well, a Glock is half-cocked all the time. Makes about 70% of cops half-cocked....

officeguy

But really, why in the hell would you stuff any pistol in your pocket?

A good proportion of cops and COs are not 'gun people' and may not understand the limitations of different firearms. A Glock 19 would be a common issue gun and not exactly a 'pocket pistol'. This guy has either very big pockets or wears baggy pants, I know I couldn't stuff a Glock 19 into my pockets.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Just saw the second article.

Carrying a Glock 19 in your pants pocket without a holster is negligent. I hope he gets some re-training from his employer about safe handling of his firearm. As a LEO he may be allowed to carry in a establishment that serves liquor, doesn't mean he can be careless about it.

Fl law does not allow concealed weapons in a bar area only, but if that area serves food as well as the rest of the restaurant, it is permissible, LEO or not. The report said he had just finished dining, right? The Glock 19 weighs almost two lbs with a full magazine, and would certainly fill up about any pocket.

He was certainly careless and negligent about it, but not illegal.

Hank

my war
Thanks, glhs. I thought all guns had safeties. Then it was even more dumb that he just had it loose in his pocket.

The fact that you have guns is scary.

The fact that you have guns that you don't know how to use is even scarier.

mamatutu

mama to two
The fact that you have guns is scary.

The fact that you have guns that you don't know how to use is even scarier.

You have made this comment before, so you get minus points for posting the same boring crap again. I don't own a glock, (or hand gun, I have only long guns which I am more comfortable with) so I didn't know how it worked. But, you never know if I am lying or not, so come on over and find out!

:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme

The reason I prefer a long gun is because it is stabilized against my shoulder. If I was ever confronted and really had to shoot someone, I would be so scared and shaking that I don't think a hand gun would help me. I know that handguns are better at close range or being confronted closely, but I will know someone is in my house before they know I know. I will take my chances. My bushmaster rests beside my bedpost. Any more questions? I love playing with you Hankaroo, and you always ask for it, which makes it that much more fun! :killingme Again!

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A holster is not required, and most revolvers or small semi's (pocket pistols) don't have safety's anyway.

stop right there, with a revolver, unless the hammer is back - aka cocked - the trigger pull is long and hard compared to something hammer-less like a Glock

and yes revolvers do not have safeties ...

officeguy

Mexican carry at least - you don't get the trigger tangled up with the car keys

How about a holster appropriate to the firearm carried ?

This was not some little pocket shooter to be carried deeply concealed and in a pocket. As a LEO there is no excuse for not carrying in a holster, be it inside the waistband or out.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

This was not some little pocket shooter to be carried deeply concealed and in a pocket. As a LEO there is no excuse for not carrying in a holster, be it inside the waistband or out.

A soft pocket holster would have done well - it keeps your finger off the trigger while the soft case disguises the gun shape itself.

officeguy

Wrong, its not a 1911 or old Navy .36. Glocks are either cocked or not cocked.

The striker on a Glock is a bit more than 1/2 way pre-loaded after the action cycles (58% is the number I remember). The remainder of the spring tension is provided by the motion of the trigger. This is different from a true 'DA' pistol were the entire compression of the spring is provided by the trigger finger.

A 1911 is fully cocked at rest and acts as a 'single action' trigger.

So yes, a Glock (or S&W M+P) is 'half cocked' most of the time.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

yeah true ..

... but at least in the small of his back, the Glock is not in his pocket with his keys and silver ...

Worked well for Magnum PI in Hawaii :killingme

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
all pistols have a hammer to strike the firing pin

.... some are internal

ok ...you got me

I am going to split hairs with you ... not all pistols have a 'hammer'

you got me with 'hammer-less' revolvers I forgot about DA only SW

but show me on a Glock, 8mm Nambu or Luger where the Hammer is

:buddies: