An Inspirational 10 year old young rider!!!!

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
WOW that is awesome. i'm totally going to try that tomorrow with higgins...

:killingme:killingme I was thinking the same thing about Willow.

Some of the other YouTubes of Lizzy jumping at shows on her ponies are great to watch. Can't obviously isn't in her vocabulary!!! Go Lizzy Go!!!:yahoo:

devinej

serioulsy. she has her own website and apparently does clinics with and without tommie turvey the trick trainer. pretty awesome. and with only one hand...

duchess1

When I first clicked on this YouTube for Bridleless riding I didn't expect to be so moved. I was impressed that she not only rode Bridleless, but she jumped. Then I looked a little closer. See if you can figure out what makes this little girl so amazing!!!!

YouTube - Bridleless Hacking & Jumping - Lizzy Traband riding Rosie

I like this one too!!!

YouTube - Jumping Gymnastic Clinic - Lizzy Traband & Schoenrosa

I'm not so impressed. Sorry. No doubt the little girl is a good rider, however, it's just English riders neck reigning their horses the way Western riders do it. No biggie!

FrmGrl

Get some!
I'm not so impressed. Sorry. No doubt the little girl is a good rider, however, it's just English riders neck reigning their horses the way Western riders do it. No biggie!
Except the fact that she is missing her lower arm. Someone who has lost a limb has realized how much it affects their balance. For her, having to compensate makes her that much better. You would not be able to understand unless it happens to you. You can try and duplicate the move, but you still have your arm. She doesnt.

ElliesMom

unless she lost her arm in a traumatic incident her balance is not that bad.

You dont miss what you dont have. I know plenty of kids born with one arm that dont even realize they are different.

FrmGrl

Get some!
unless she lost her arm in a traumatic incident her balance is not that bad.

You dont miss what you dont have. I know plenty of kids born with one arm that dont even realize they are different.
It doesnt say how she lost it, but I would venture to say if many of us tried to jump with one arm, we might not fair as well. Yes she probably has dealt much better being young, but why try and take away from her amazing accomplishment? I lost a finger when I was young and that caused issues even for something so small . I cant imagine not having part of my arm.

devinej

its not like western neck reining. western neck reiners have long shank bits in their horse's mouths most of the time in case the horse does anything wrong. these horses do not have that...

Chickadee1

Didn't see any reins or bit in the horses mouth. Never seen a Western rider jumping oxers like that before. Much less someone at the age of 10 yrs. old.

duchess1

Didn't see any reins or bit in the horses mouth. Never seen a Western rider jumping oxers like that before. Much less someone at the age of 10 yrs. old.

Didn't you see that "rope" around the horses neck? Also, it is illeagal to use shanks in a western show, if you are reigning him with one hand. Most western riders use D ring bits, not shanks. I'm not taking anything away from the little girl at all. The horses are great, just neck reigned like a good western horse would be.

devinej

Yes we all saw the rope around the neck.
A good english horse will steer like that too, obviously. using mostly body weight cues. not depending on the bit. the way you wrote your first post in here, it seemed like you were pointing out that the girl was just like any good western rider, and therefore nothing special. that's not exactly true as most good western riders do not ride bridleless. lets see you try it.

reining does not have a "g" in it unless you are reigning a country.
all the reining pics i could find from congress....they all wear long shank/curb bits.

and i've personally experienced watching western pleasure horses be trained, i know what kind of bits were used by that particular professional trainer and whoever trained him...ouch. may not have been shank, but may have been harsher.
yes they learned to neck rein well. not all trainers are cruel like that...but wow.

so is it really a great idea to judge english against western, against little tiny 1 armed girls who can jump their horse 3 ft bridleless? i guess it gets you some attention, but none of us are impressed by you...

devinej

western bit rules:
(c) References to a bit in western performance classes mean the
use of a curb bit that has a solid or broken mouthpiece, has shanks
and acts with leverage. All curb bits must be free of mechanical
device and should be considered a standard western bit. A description
of a legal, standard western bit includes:
(1) 8 1/2” (215 mm) maximum length shank to be measured
as indicated in the diagram on page 137. Shanks may be fixed
or loose.
(2) Concerning mouthpieces, bars must be round, oval or
egg shaped, smooth and unwrapped metal of 5/16” to 3/4” (8 mm
to 20 mm) in diameter, measured 1” (25 mm) from the cheek. They
may be inlaid, but must be smooth or latex wrapped. Nothing may
protrude below the mouthpiece (bar), such as extensions or prongs
on solid mouthpieces. The mouthpiece may be two or three pieces.

A three-piece, connecting ring of 1 1/4” (32 mm) or less in diameter,
or a connecting flat bar of 3/8” to 3/4” (10mm to 20 mm) measured
top to bottom with a maximum length of 2” (50 mm), which
lies flat in the horse’s mouth, is acceptable.
(3) The port must be no higher than 3 1/2” (90 mm) maximum,
with rollers and covers acceptable. Broken mouthpieces, halfbreeds
and spades are standard.
(4) Slip or gag bits, and donut and flat polo mouthpieces
are not acceptable

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
When I first clicked on this YouTube for Bridleless riding I didn't expect to be so moved. I was impressed that she not only rode Bridleless, but she jumped. Then I looked a little closer. See if you can figure out what makes this little girl so amazing!!!!

YouTube - Bridleless Hacking & Jumping - Lizzy Traband riding Rosie

I like this one too!!!

YouTube - Jumping Gymnastic Clinic - Lizzy Traband & Schoenrosa

I think she was at the Horse Expo last year with Tommy. She is amazing...