An Inspirational 10 year old young rider!!!!

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Didn't you see that "rope" around the horses neck? Also, it is illeagal to use shanks in a western show, if you are reigning him with one hand. Most western riders use D ring bits, not shanks. I'm not taking anything away from the little girl at all. The horses are great, just neck reigned like a good western horse would be.

Most western riders use whatever this thing is. not sure of the name. But no bit period. Well GOOD HIGH LEVEL western riders.
http://jmquarters.com/breeders.JPG

And I'm pretty sure you are allowed to use a shank at AQHA within certain size limits. Otherwise they wouldn't sell a bunch of fancy jeweled up ones. No one would buy those just for training.

QH_BaBe

its called a bosal (sp). . . some do use them. they seem to be growing more popular. alot still used shanked bits to show in. my show bit i used at AQHA was a shanked bit with a port.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
its not like western neck reining. western neck reiners have long shank bits in their horse's mouths most of the time in case the horse does anything wrong. these horses do not have that...

This girl is truly amazing! I saw her in person. She was tricking training her pony with only one arm with Tommy Turvey. I was very impressed.

BUT . . . My neck reiners have NEVER had a long shanked bit. You know me, when I ride western, I use an english snaffle. A good western horse will neck reign just has her horse does. I think you are thinking of WP horses not just neck reiners.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
its called a bosal (sp). . . some do use them. they seem to be growing more popular. alot still used shanked bits to show in. my show bit i used at AQHA was a shanked bit with a port.

Bosals are only legal if under 3, I believe. Show rules and regular westren riders are entirely different. Most western riders never step foot in a show ring. I don't think that anyone can accurately depict what "most" western riders use as a bit as they vary. Heck, I use an english bridle with my western saddle. Crazy, I know. lol

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Bosals are only legal if under 3, I believe. Show rules and regular westren riders are entirely different. Most western riders never step foot in a show ring. I don't think that anyone can accurately depict what "most" western riders use as a bit as they vary. Heck, I use an english bridle with my western saddle. Crazy, I know. lol

I think QH_babe is talking about AQHA showing just like I was and to us that's what we classify as western riders since we both show AQHA that's what we know.

devinej

yep, most. or a least a lot.

and busterduck, i don't consider you to be a typical western rider. i'm thinking many riders in general, western or english or inbetween don't have as much respect and empathy for the horse as you do.

duchess1

Yes we all saw the rope around the neck.
A good english horse will steer like that too, obviously. using mostly body weight cues. not depending on the bit. the way you wrote your first post in here, it seemed like you were pointing out that the girl was just like any good western rider, and therefore nothing special. that's not exactly true as most good western riders do not ride bridleless. lets see you try it.

reining does not have a "g" in it unless you are reigning a country.
all the reining pics i could find from congress....they all wear long shank/curb bits.

and i've personally experienced watching western pleasure horses be trained, i know what kind of bits were used by that particular professional trainer and whoever trained him...ouch. may not have been shank, but may have been harsher.
yes they learned to neck rein well. not all trainers are cruel like that...but wow.

so is it really a great idea to judge english against western, against little tiny 1 armed girls who can jump their horse 3 ft bridleless? i guess it gets you some attention, but none of us are impressed by you...

If you would have read my post more carefully, you would see that I was not taking anything away from the little girl. I even said she was a good rider. I just commented on the horses. And I, too, have seen the way some western horses are trained and english horses as well. Some are treated cruel and some are not. You say I judged english against western. I did not do that at all. You did by saying that western riders are cruel in the way they train their horses. I've seen both styles being trained and both, at times, were very cruel. I've also seen some trained and never have a bit in the mouth and ride exactly as the horses in the video ride.

By the way, I ride english. I've ridden western also, but prefer english. I didn't say the little girl rode like a western rider, I said the horses were neck reined like a western horse. Why is it that if someone doesn't agree with you, you get nasty? If you want to correct my grammar, then go right ahead. But first, maybe you should learn that when you start a new sentence, you are supposed to capitilize the first letter of the first word.

This is an open forum. The video was posted for comments. It is people like you who judge western against english. And as an english rider, I have observed TONS of enghlish riders who believe that western riders are beneath them. That is just NOT true! Western horses are more disciplined, supple, and "all-around" in most ways than english ones. We all love the same sport, so why do people always try to put each other down? You are a perfect example of that. You tried to say I judged western against english, and I didn't. Immediately you attacked western trainers. It's not about that.

And, as you see by the other posts, not everyone uses shanks. You are not usually allowed to use them if you are riding with two hands either. It depends on the show. I guess english riders never use anything harsh like chains or anything right? My point is, english or western the talent level is just as good and the point of cruelty can be just as bad in both styles.

I made a short comment on the video and you turned it into something it was not! I'm not trying to get anyone's attention or trying to impress anyone, especially someone who only sees things their way and believes they are better than anyone else, as yourself.

English/Western riders and horses can be just as good as each other or just as bad. They are equal in all things! Get over it! I'll not waste anymore time on you and your comments.

ElliesMom

Ok I am gonna jump in then too. Thanks.

I am not taking anything away from you, that little girl or anyone out missing an appendage.

I was saying this:

THose born without an appendage already compensate fully since it was missing since birth!

Those who lose one need to re learn some things.

So the fact that she is jumping without an appendage is cool either way. Tons of people do it too. Riding happens to be great physical threapy for all types of ailments!

devinej

you seem to have wasted a lot of time on me and my comments haha

and as you may have noticed, words can be interpreted in more ways than one.

also, i commented on your spelling and word usage, not grammar.

i was attempting to judge some trainers againts others, not just english and western. i think you are making a moot point about judging english against western riders. you started the differentiation yourself with your first post. that is how a lot of us interpreted it, sorry if that is not what you meant.

perhaps my ideas are not founded in absolute truth....i doubt any of our ideas are, but what i have said is my experience in the western show world, the english show world can be just as bad. there certainly are plenty of riders who use training methods that are not harsh.

i wonder what people like me are like? hmm

R

remaxrealtor

Hey JB is Back!!!:yahoo:

You know, I thought you might have some interesting input on this thread, but youre just back to your old self....as accomplished as you are, you really do manage to lower the bar.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
You know, I thought you might have some interesting input on this thread, but youre just back to your old self....as accomplished as you are, you really do manage to lower the bar.

Old habits die hard! This forum has been awfully boring!:cartwheel Besides I have been wondering what has been happening with duchess/JB.:geek: