An open apology

dazed&fallen

fine artist
Or, better yet, quit wasting your time on a public forum and due what Luther did and make a few changes to the bible and create your own religion branch.

I have no interest. I think religion should be personalized. I think it should be about what you have in your heart not what other people tell you you ought to believe.

Gwydion

The Gospel of Thomas would be a start but then people would just claims THAT was the infallible word of God.

People are sheepish like that. They don't like to think for themselves much.

So you believe another archaic text will solve the problem of the bible being an archaic text?

Its...becoming so clear what you are talking about!

PsyOps

Pixelated
You oversimplify. I think churches and bibles are too narrow to contain the phenomenon that is God. That's why people kill each other. Everyone thinks their way is the only way. Kapeesh?

It's not intent of the Bible or any Church to "contain the phenomenon that is God". They are there for support in our belief. It's like a book on driving. There is no book that would teach you everything you need to know about driving a car. You have to drive it. The more you drive it, the better you become.

"Containing the phenomenon that is God" is achieved in daily practice of our faith as a person, not solely dependent on a place or a book to do it all for us. In fact that is but a very part of one's faith.

And don't include me in "everyone". I don't claim my way is the only way. I only know it works for me.

dazed&fallen

fine artist
It's not intent of the Bible or any Church to "contain the phenomenon that is God". They are there for support in our belief. It's like a book on driving. There is no book that would teach you everything you need to know about driving a car. You have to drive it. The more you drive it, the better you become.

"Containing the phenomenon that is God" is achieved in daily practice of our faith as a person, not solely dependent on a place or a book to do it all for us. In fact that is but a very part of one's faith.

And don't include me in "everyone". I don't claim my way is the only way. I only know it works for me.

Then you are saying the Bible is fallible and church is not needed. Why are we arguing?

Gwydion

The word should be read differently is what I'm saying. Is that not clear enough for you bumpkin?

Nope, not clear enough. The bible is the number one selling book in the world. Has been and probably will always be. Each person that reads it reads it in their own way and manner and, irregardless of what their chosen religious faction tells them, they make up their own mind as to what they read.

So, it has been read by millions and millions of people. How more differently can it be read?

dazed&fallen

fine artist
Nope, not clear enough. The bible is the number one selling book in the world. Has been and probably will always be. Each person that reads it reads it in their own way and manner and, irregardless of what their chosen religious faction tells them, they make up their own mind as to what they read.

So, it has been read by millions and millions of people. How more differently can it be read?

Read it as a book written by men. Cast a critical eye on it.

dazed&fallen

fine artist
So the word should be read according to your interpretation? Doesn't that just fit nicely into your claim:

It's called Post Modernism. God speaks to everyone differently. Just because (s)he said something to you doesn't mean it applies to your neighbor.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Then you are saying the Bible is fallible and church is not needed. Why are we arguing?

NoooooooOOOO... I'm saying the Bible is our guide. If it was fallible it would not be a reliable source for explaining who God is. “Gray’s Anatomy" does not contain the phenomenon that is the human body. But it is a guide to helping doctors with the human anatomy. There are tons of books that go into detail that Gray’s does not, but none of them – even as a collective – can touch the complexity of the human body. Church is a valuable part of our faith. Just like people that love the Doobie Brothers gather together to listen to them play Christians go to church to hear someone preach about God and worship their God together. But that does not mean that they can “contain the phenomenon that is God”. There is nothing that can contain all that is God.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I have no interest. I think religion should be personalized. I think it should be about what you have in your heart not what other people tell you you ought to believe.

This goes to show what you understand about a relatioship with God. It is a personal relationship. No one's is the same as anyone else's. I mean this is like saying if your a Republican you believe everything the Republican party believes in. There is no such thing. There is a common philosophy. Beyond that, it's personal and individual.