Animal "rescuers":

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"I grabbed all these unwanted animals and now YOU have an obligation to take them off my hands or I'll call you a bunch of nasty names!"

I get tired of these people. Here's what prompted it:

Not everyone wants some mutt off the street, and different breeds have different characteristics that make them a good fit for individual families. Just because you're a nut who thinks everyone should have a stray pitbull in their home that came from god knows where doesn't mean anyone has to listen to you. It's just irresponsible bullshit.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
"I grabbed all these unwanted animals and now YOU have an obligation to take them off my hands or I'll call you a bunch of nasty names!"

Not everyone wants some mutt off the street, and different breeds have different characteristics that make them a good fit for individual families. Just because you're a nut who thinks everyone should have a stray pitbull in their home that came from god knows where doesn't mean anyone has to listen to you. It's just irresponsible bullshit.
If you’re getting it from a pet store there’s a good chance you’re getting a mutt anyways. Also these combination named dogs, golden doodle, labradoodle, chiweeny … are mutts too.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

I support small, local rescues, the people of which I have come to know and respect.
As that first sentence shows, there are a LOT of nut jobs who claim to be rescues, and have that attitude.
The woman who saved out Cooper and Buff from a hoarder gets threatened all the time by "rescuers" who want her to do the heavy lifting and take the cats, which are their responsibility, to the vet. She has limited resources, which is why I donate as I can.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't have a dog in this fight :killingme but, at least the designer mutts have a reference point as to what their temperament might be. With plain old mutts, you don't know what you're getting into. Luckily, all my mutts breeding was easily identifiable. My son has a JR Terrier and German Spitz (American Eskimo) mix who is an absolute joy, but he's a sneak thief when it comes to food. He is a hyper fur ball.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you’re getting it from a pet store there’s a good chance you’re getting a mutt anyways. Also these combination named dogs, golden doodle, labradoodle, chiweeny … are mutts too.

Apollo is a Schnoodle mutt. But even so, those dogs have certain characteristics that the adopter/owner can be aware of. It's not just mystery mix that can turn out any whichaway.

Also, when you get a puppy YOU control how it's raised. When you take in an adult rescue dog chances are good it didn't have the best upbringing, and especially with a bully breed now you're just asking for it. Even with a puppy you can't be sure how it will turn out.

Larry and I got Browser the Wonder Dog (aka Goomba) from the pound. We got him as a puppy and he was definitely my dog - I'm probably the only person in our neighborhood that he didn't bite. The day I took him back to the pound to be put down was terrible, but I learned my lesson. No more mystery meat.