Animals to be euthanized???

red_explorer

Ok, there is a huge group talking about having a riot at TriCounty tomorrow, over this story. I am guessing its false, as I saw the same thing for shelters in Frederick and Montgomery County today....

But...has anyone heard anything about this?

https://www.facebook.com/SOMDAlerts/posts/690724840955737

*** we have been notified this evening that Tri County will be euthanizing a room full of dogs tomorrow due to remodeling. Please spread the word and get these dogs adopted. They're not advertising this

Last edited:

red_explorer

I actually posted

I actually posted that I am guessing its a rumor because I didnt see it on here....and with all the animal rescue people on here, something would have been posted.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Ok, there is a huge group talking about having a riot at TriCounty tomorrow, over this story. I am guessing its false, as I saw the same thing for shelters in Frederick and Montgomery County today....

*** we have been notified this evening that Tri County will be euthanizing a room full of dogs tomorrow due to remodeling. Please spread the word and get these dogs adopted. They're not advertising this

Why should anyone be surprised by this? They euthanize animals every day. Due to overcrowding, lack of rescues that have room for them (bully breeds), age, temperment, health etc.
Tri County is a KILL shelter that receives animals from 3 counties. I know of one rescue that pulled a few dogs because of the remodeling. I would guess all the rescues will try to pull dogs but it depends on the foster homes and volunteers they have available.

ITS ME

The rescues were not told about it until a mass urgent last minute email went out Saturday to the rescues advising that several animals had until 6:00 that evening or they were going to be put down and in the email it advised something to the effect that they were starting renovations and are going to be low on space.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
From Charles County's FB page:

There are numerous false reports circulating on social media regarding the Tri-County Animal Shelter (TCAS) in Hughesville. The following are the facts concerning the TCAS remodeling project:

• On Monday, Sept. 16, TCAS began a planned remodel of one of its dog kennel wings. The remodel is part of a larger Capital Improvement Plan for the facility.

• While the inside kenneling area is undergoing demolition and rebuilding, a large portion of the outside kennels will be utilized as holding areas for dogs that would have normally been held with both inside/outside access. This further mitigates the impact of the loss of inside kenneling space. The remodel was planned for the fall season because intake numbers are, on average, lower in the fall/winter months, and cooler fall temperatures allow TCAS to comfortably hold animals outside without being too hot or too cold.

• TCAS staff does not intend to increase euthanasia statistics as a result of the remodel. Euthanasia will continue to be the last resort for any animal in our care that is considered to be a healthy, adoptable pet.

• The TCAS staff is a dedicated group of people that does everything possible to place every healthy, adoptable animal into forever homes. Our goal is to ensure that each and every animal is provided a safe haven when it is housed at TCAS.

What the public and rescue partners can do to help out TCAS:
• VOLUNTEER! Now more than ever, we need help taking care of the many animals at the TCAS facility. Keeping the dogs in this manner (outside kennel only) increases the number staff needed to complete routine feeding and cleaning. Volunteers can help cut this time down, allowing for more animals to be held. Even an occasional hour or two of donated time is a tremendous help.

• RESCUE! Approved rescues can move animals out of the TCAS facility and place them into their foster family programs.

Thank you for supporting TCAS while we make our local animal shelter a better place for the stray and unwanted animals in our communities.

C. Edward Tucker, Chief
Charles County Animal Control Services

mamatutu

mama to two

Thanks for posting that info. I choose, this time, to believe what I read. All four of our dear pets (since we have lived in Calvert 15 yrs) came from Tri-County. I am sure you have made others feel better, as well.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting that, Dymph. Folks are always quick to assume Tri-County Shelter and it's employees are evil and heartless, but the reality is they serve a valuable purpose in our community. The sad truth is that there are way more dogs and cats than there are rescues, foster homes and even moreso forever homes. This means that yes, sadly, some dogs and cats have to be euthanized. Be thankful there are people willing to go to such a disheartening job day in and day out and that they do what they can to care for the ones that do arrive at their facility.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Thanks for posting that, Dymph. Folks are always quick to assume Tri-County Shelter and it's employees are evil and heartless, but the reality is they serve a valuable purpose in our community. The sad truth is that there are way more dogs and cats than there are rescues, foster homes and even moreso forever homes. This means that yes, sadly, some dogs and cats have to be euthanized. Be thankful there are people willing to go to such a disheartening job day in and day out and that they do what they can to care for the ones that do arrive at their facility.

well said!!!

The last dog I pulled from there came in as a stray and very scared of people. They saw there was something special in her so they worked with her...yes it took time but they finally got to the point where they were able to adopt her out..

well she was for a friend of mine ...but when the dog got to my house her true personality came out and was not going to work out for my friend. So I let her stay. She is a great addition to my family as she has turned into an amazing dog. She has started her working career and will get a chace to train with some of the best HRD trainiers next month!!! :yahoo:

ITS ME

Considering this email went out on a Friday evening on 9/12/2013 5:59 PM to rescues, which gave them exactly 24 hours to secure a spot for them, I think it was easy to make a determination that they were putting pets down due to renovations.

"Attached is a list of animals at the shelter that need your help! We are undergoing construction starting Monday and will be losing a large chunk of our cage space. Being that we are already extremely full this means that I will need to get a large number of these animals out or the shelter by the close of business Saturday so that they will be safe. Being that we are a stray holding facility these animals are on a day by day basis because their stray times are up, or they were surrendered by there owners. These animals need you now more then ever. Even just sharing this to other rescues may save a life!

We thank you all for everything you do, please do not let these animals down and remember we are their voice."

frequentflier

happy to be living

It is a job most of us could not do. Even working as an animal control officer-I would have to be totally desperate for work to consider it.

There is a petition being circulated to ask the commissioners for money to build Calvert County their own shelter. The tri-county shelter services three counties and is no longer adequate (I suspect this has been true for many years) If Linda Kelley were still in office, I think this county would stand a better chance. She was instrumental in getting a barn type building built for larger animals.

lucky_bee

RBF expert

I've seen first hand how the Tri County operates. After doing a day of community service there, I was blown away (although, it's really not surprising...but to actually face it....) at how over-worked, run down, and totally frazzled those workers are. They all had such huge hearts and it was very moving to see them care for all these animals like their own. But while I walked through all the dog kennels there (bawling my eyes out, btw), there really are over a dozen dogs that were deemed "not up for adoption" bc of behavior or background. Whatever you decide to do with these dogs, its never going to be a great solution bc in reality they will never live a normal life.

I just kept thinking of how Maggie apparently was picked up there by her previous owner before me (bawled some more). So disheartening.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I've seen first hand how the Tri County operates. After doing a day of community service there, I was blown away (although, it's really not surprising...but to actually face it....) at how over-worked, run down, and totally frazzled those workers are. They all had such huge hearts and it was very moving to see them care for all these animals like their own. But while I walked through all the dog kennels there (bawling my eyes out, btw), there really are over a dozen dogs that were deemed "not up for adoption" bc of behavior or background. Whatever you decide to do with these dogs, its never going to be a great solution bc in reality they will never live a normal life.

I just kept thinking of how Maggie apparently was picked up there by her previous owner before me (bawled some more). So disheartening.

If the number of pets wasn't so over-whelming, the ones with issues would have a better chance of being worked with to modify their behavior. Due to the huge excess of critters, the ones with issues usually get put down.

I agree on the :bawl: as I've been there many times and done exactly the same thing. I feel horrible when I leave there knowing all I can do is encourage others to go there to find a buddy to take home. I can't take any more than I have now.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

very true..... I know the dog I have now had that label on her for a while...

but you know what was so amazing that i forgot to say...... So I sprung her back on 8/7/12...... and I took her to a 5k up in Chesapeake Beach and had a girl run up to her and I.... and she called her by "Raine" as that was her name the Tri County gave her.... this girl was almost in tears!!! She said she JUST KNEW that was her..... as she would never forget her at the shelter!!!! Come to find out she spent lots of time her and helped rehab her! This girl was so happy with how she looked now and thanked me for everything i have done with her!!!

now that made me feel good!!!