Annulment

jetmonkey

In order to marry again, has anyone had a past marriage annulled in the Catholic church? How difficult was the process? :popcorn:
You should probably contact a priest if it's that important to you. I was married in the Catholic church, wife is married to someone else now and I never heard anything about an annulment so I don't know what she did for round II :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
:yeahthat: You can't get it annuled, because as far as the Catholic Church is concerned it wasn't a sacrement, so didn't really count in the first place.

Not true. My marriage was not considered a "Catholic wedding" but he needed to obtain the ecclesiastical annulment in order for him to be married in a Catholic ceremony in the church.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
You should probably contact a priest if it's that important to you. I was married in the Catholic church, wife is married to someone else now and I never heard anything about an annulment so I don't know what she did for round II :shrug:

We scheduled an appointment with a priest to discuss the matter. I was just curious as to other's experiences with this.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
$1000 through the church? Really? He told me there was no fee.

Yes, I was on her list of contacts so I was called by a priest to "testify" about her marriage. Just a bunch of b.s. to me. The money went towards all the paperwork, they told her.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You are the first I've heard heard of getting one for free.

I didn't get it...didn't need it. The ex did and since they were members of the church, they didn't have to pay.

You realize that what I'm talking about is not a legal process, right?

I didn't get it...didn't need it. The ex did and since they were members of the church, they didn't have to pay.

You realize that what I'm talking about is not a legal process, right?

Yes. I'm (not a practicing) Catholic. I know exactly what you are talking about and everyone I've ever known to get one has had to pay for it. They make a big deal about having to "present" it to the Vatican for approval and all... yadda yadda yadda.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Not true. My marriage was not considered a "Catholic wedding" but he needed to obtain the ecclesiastical annulment in order for him to be married in a Catholic ceremony in the church.
I bet if you cared to check the records, there probably wasn't a true "annulment" in the first place. I don't know how long ago this was, but I'm under the impression it was a while back. It was probably just documentation that there wasn't a "true" marriage in the first place, in that it was never blessed by the Catholic Church. It is possible to not have a Catholic wedding but to later get it "blessed" and thus acknowledged by the Church. They were probably just seeking verification that that had never happened.

From a theological standpoint...the Catholic Church considers marriage a sacrement. The same is true of Baptism, and receiving Holy Euchurist. A Church annulment is basically saying, "we take it back, it wasn't such a blessed event afterall." That doesn't mean they proclaim any children of the marriage to be bastards...(at least not since about 1965 or so).

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I bet if you cared to check the records, there probably wasn't a true "annulment" in the first place. I don't know how long ago this was, but I'm under the impression it was a while back. It was probably just documentation that there wasn't a "true" marriage in the first place, in that it was never blessed by the Catholic Church. It is possible to not have a Catholic wedding but to later get it "blessed" and thus acknowledged by the Church. They were probably just seeking verification that that had never happened.

From a theological standpoint...the Catholic Church considers marriage a sacrement. The same is true of Baptism, and receiving Holy Euchurist. A Church annulment is basically saying, "we take it back, it wasn't such a blessed event afterall." That doesn't mean they proclaim any children of the marriage to be bastards...(at least not since about 1965 or so).

It was in 1979..and, yes, there was an annulment which I never quite understood because according to the The Sacred Canons of the Catholic Church we never were really married.

I'm giving MY experience.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
It was in 1979..and, yes, there was an annulment which I never quite understood because according to the The Sacred Canons of the Catholic Church we never were really married.

I'm giving MY experience.

An annullment simply means that the marriage never truly existed sacramentally, it's not a divorce.

The Church also recognizes marriages from other Christian faiths if both parties were not Catholic....meaning, if BF is not Catholic and got married Methodist or Baptist and was then divorced via the state, wants to re-marry Catholic he would still have to go through the annullment process. However, if BF got married through the state only (i.e. courthouse) then it's not a recognized marriage and doesn't need an annullment. That's my understanding anyway, it can be very confusing.

AiryT

I got an annulment about seven years ago and as far as I can remember I donated about $400. If was to help defray the cost of paperwork. If you can't afford to pay, you don't have to, at least at that time you didn't. I'm sure not much has changed. Unfortunately, I had already gotten married the second time before I got my annulment, so my husband needs to get an annulment from his first wife also. He thinks she was a catholic. If she was and was married her first time in a church, he only had to fill out a couple forms to get his annulment. The process wasn't hard, but it did take 4-6 months in total. Part of that time was my fault, I didn't fill out paperwork promptly. Hope this helps.