Another "Just gonna do this minor thing"

SandieGarry

Where are you located? What size poplar? Do you need it sized or do you have a jointer, planer and table saw? I ask because I may be able to help you locate the wood you need.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Where are you located? What size poplar? Do you need it sized or do you have a jointer, planer and table saw? I ask because I may be able to help you locate the wood you need.
I'll take any help in locating it, thanx. I have a planer and saw, no jointer, but don't think I'll need it for this.

Replacing some stairs, approx 12" x 42" x 5/4, 4 pieces. Size is approx until the wallboard and such is in and I can fine fit. So (2) 8 footers x 12" would work for me. I can find poplar locally, but it's expensive and not 5/4 stock.

I tried to contact Dennis Woodruff but have not heard back.

SandieGarry

If he can't help, let me know. I may have other resources.

Also, can you use narrower stuff and glue it up to make 12"? As an FYI, we have a 36" wide belt sander at work. We can run lumber through it if needed. We just ran about 2,500 ft of Fir through the planer and some through the sander for Chesapeake Hills golf course clubhouse project. I'll be running some paint grade through the molder next week.

SandieGarry

Ok, no worries. I'd wait on Dennis if you can. Next option is Frank's. He can probably steer you in the right direction. I think he has a feel for what's out there and where. If you need any help in any way, don't hesitate to ask. I not only do this as a job, I do it for fun at home as well, :dye:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My husband's mulling around the idea of replacing all the windows around our whole house himself, with probably the exception of 2 XXXL windows. It really would save us a ton, but I am not looking forward to the demo zones for weeks on end :shocked: or inevitably the problems we'll find in the walls.
FWIW, I had a vinyl replacement picture window installed by Thompson Creek, and was impressed with the overall experience. They did a terrific job installing and plan on using them again for 2 more large picture windows. The attention to detail was super and they actually stopped to listen to any comments/concerns I had.

My neighbor just had all of her windows replaced by Thompson Creek, 2 days for everything including the same picture window I had done.

Mine was a little pricey, but well worth it to have someone experienced do it in short order.

SandieGarry

FWIW, I had a vinyl replacement picture window installed by Thompson Creek, and was impressed with the overall experience. They did a terrific job installing and plan on using them again for 2 more large picture windows. The attention to detail was super and they actually stopped to listen to any comments/concerns I had.

My neighbor just had all of her windows replaced by Thompson Creek, 2 days for everything including the same picture window I had done.

Mine was a little pricey, but well worth it to have someone experienced do it in short order.

I believe that I posted before about my windows. Power Home Remodeling Group did mine. If we had not chosen them, we would have gone with Thompson Creek. I don't believe that you can go wrong with either.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Getting there. After many weeks of delays and install issues, the floor finally got covered this week. Working on the trim now, got the new stair risers put in but still don't have the poplar treads. I have another handrail to go in, but code requires balusters and they can't be put in until the treads are in.

Fun fact: The copper lamp near the big window came from my parent's house, from 1950. It was over the dining room table. It got moved to their house in VA, and when dad sold that house, I took it, finally gave it a new place to call home.

IMG_20231020_154933_503.jpg IMG_20231020_155000_093.jpg

ontheriver

Getting there. After many weeks of delays and install issues, the floor finally got covered this week. Working on the trim now, got the new stair risers put in but still don't have the poplar treads. I have another handrail to go in, but code requires balusters and they can't be put in until the treads are in.

Fun fact: The copper lamp near the big window came from my parent's house, from 1950. It was over the dining room table. It got moved to their house in VA, and when dad sold that house, I took it, finally gave it a new place to call home.

View attachment 173302 View attachment 173303
Keep the old things for sure... Great job Sneakers.