Another School Bus Accident

3CATSAILOR

MECHANICSVILLE, Md. – On December 11, 2023, at approximately 9:21 a.m., emergency personnel responded to a motor vehicle collision involving a school bus on southbound Three Notch Road, just before Old Village Road.

How can you not see a large orange school bus with a strobe light constantly flashing in your eyes?

0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%

3CATSAILOR

Did someone run into the bus or did the bus run into them?

I've almost been hit by a school bus several times and have seen them pull out in front of people while making a right on red turn, almost sideswipe someone, and really push a red light.
Funny you mention that. I was talking to a SGT of our MSP Barrack. The MSP is aware of School Buses that fly through stop signs at Spring Ridge Middle School. If they do it there, the probably do it other places. If the drivers ignore a stop sign, what other traffic control devices do they ignore? I know of a police officer some years ago that was right behind a school bus that went right through a stop sign. The police officer stopped him and gave him a ticket. According to the police officer, the teens on the bus gave the police officer a standing ovation!

luvmygdaughters

I had one pull out in front of me on Rt. 249, the driver was on Happyland road, making a right on to Rt. 249, saw me coming with a few cars behind me and must've decided he/she didnt want to wait for 3 or 4 cars behind me and just went for it.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think most of the accidents were riding on the bus.
Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

DaSDGuy

One of many subjects I told my kids during their behind-the-wheel training - If you see a school bus, don't trust them to stop, yield, or obey any traffic laws. In fact, I let the kids drive to school as soon as possible because they were safer driving than riding the bus.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Most bus drivers are ok and respect the road rules. But there are a few that need to take the learner's permit and road test over again.

I live 2 blocks from a school. Directly in front of my house it's 25 mph with a speed bump. Most bus drivers take the bump slowly. Others get a running start on it and are far in excess of the posted limit. Certainly no shining example of good driving to the passengers.

3CATSAILOR

MECHANICSVILLE, Md. – On December 11, 2023, at approximately 9:21 a.m., emergency personnel responded to a motor vehicle collision involving a school bus on southbound Three Notch Road, just before Old Village Road.

How can you not see a large orange school bus with a strobe light constantly flashing in your eyes?

0 seconds of 0 secondsVolum

3CATSAILOR

I talked to Jeff Thompson, Director of the Transportation for St. Mary's County Public Schools.. I told him about the problem with School buses at Spring Ridge Middle School pulling out in front of traffic. It felt like I was ignored. Hopefully it doesn't take a T-bone accident to get some attention.

TPD

the poor dad
I talked to Jeff Thompson, Director of the Transportation for St. Mary's County Public Schools.. I told him about the problem with School buses at Spring Ridge Middle School pulling out in front of traffic. It felt like I was ignored. Hopefully it doesn't take a T-bone accident to get some attention.
And then once they start heading north on 235, you can’t keep up with them! 60mph all the way to GMR

frequentflier

happy to be living
I have recently witnessed two Calvert busses running full blown red lights. Not green, then yellow and maybe you slow down. But already RED.
Scary.

TPD

the poor dad
I dont view 60 in a 50 that should be a 55 as that bad.
Well when there is a concern by some about speeding in school zones, so much so that speed cams are needed, I think maybe first we should look at the actual speeds of the modes of transportation carrying the children. I was a school bus driver for many years when the maximum speed limit was 45mph when kids were on the bus, so it irks me when I see a loaded school bus exceeding the speed limit by 10+mph.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well when there is a concern by some about speeding in school zones, so much so that speed cams are needed, I think maybe first we should look at the actual speeds of the modes of transportation carrying the children. I was a school bus driver for many years when the maximum speed limit was 45mph when kids were on the bus, so it irks me when I see a loaded school bus exceeding the speed limit by 10+mph.

Lets be honest, there was zero concern until the companies made a pitch to the Sheriff to get some money. Did he talk about that during his campaign?

jrt_ms1995

I was a bus driver, too, TPD! But our buses were mechanically restricted to in and around the vicinity of 35 mph.

TPD

the poor dad
I was a bus driver, too, TPD! But our buses were mechanically restricted to in and around the vicinity of 35 mph.
I delivered many new busses, driving them from Arkansas to MD/VA, that were governed at 45. That would have been a long drive at that speed. So we learned how to remove the governor so our max speed became about 62, a much faster trip. We just had to remember to reconnect the governor before delivering the bus to the customer.