any gobbling???

SoMDGirl42

I'm trying to stay out and not disturb the woods where I hunt so I have not seen any nests yet. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday when I go hunting again...hoping to tag out.

Quick question;

Does wild turkey (the bird, not the drink) taste as good as domestic (or whatever you call the birds at the grocery store) turkey? I've always wondered if there is a difference in the taste. :shrug:

Do you eat the bird, or are you just one of those hunters that kill them for the sake of hunting and killing them? If you eat them, how does shooting them affect eating them? Do they end up with pellets all through them?

and I guess this was more than a quick question, but I'm a girl and we never ask just ONE quick question, EVER.

Bonehead

They taste the same, yeah some people eat them. You shoot them in the head, so no pellets in the body.

bulldog

I refuse to hunt/kill anything that I won't eat. In the case of a wild turkey, the breast is where most of the meat is. Not much to offer from the legs and almost nothing from the wings.
As far as taste, I think that all depends on how you prepare it. With one of the breasts, we soaked it in italian dressing and grilled it...tured out okay, but not bursting with flavor. I'm going to try something different on the next one.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Has anyone heard any gobbling yet? Seen any turkeys? Tracks? Feathers?

A BIG TOM flew from a yard over my truck yesterday while I was driving on Surratts Road in P.G. He was moving from a yard to the woods across the street, just down the hill from the new subdivision on Surratts.

I'm trying to stay out and not disturb the woods where I hunt so I have not seen any nests yet. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday when I go hunting again...hoping to tag out.
That's the crazy thing about this nest, it's in a field, not in the woods. It was found by a buddy while he was hunting opening day.

JoeMac

Quick question;

Does wild turkey (the bird, not the drink) taste as good as domestic (or whatever you call the birds at the grocery store) turkey? I've always wondered if there is a difference in the taste. :shrug:

Do you eat the bird, or are you just one of those hunters that kill them for the sake of hunting and killing them? If you eat them, how does shooting them affect eating them? Do they end up with pellets all through them?

and I guess this was more than a quick question, but I'm a girl and we never ask just ONE quick question, EVER.

Unless I was told it was wild I can't tell the difference.

Domestic turkeys are selectively raised to have large breasts(no dumb comments please) and most cannot even mate on there own, unless they are a heritage breed. While wild turkeys are smaller they are much better for you. I would bake the whole thing and use the leftovers to make soup stock.

Turkeys are shot in the head, so pellets in the body should not be a problem. If any go in the body most of the time they exit too.

I am glad to see our local wild turkey population growing.

SoMDGirl42

Unless I was told it was wild I can't tell the difference.

Domestic turkeys are selectively raised to have large breasts(no dumb comments please) and most cannot even mate on there own, unless they are a heritage breed. While wild turkeys are smaller they are much better for you. I would bake the whole thing and use the leftovers to make soup stock.

Turkeys are shot in the head, so pellets in the body should not be a problem. If any go in the body most of the time they exit too.

I am glad to see our local wild turkey population growing.

Ya'll keep saying this, but I've seen some of these guys shoot the shiat (ahem, clevalley), and I'm not about to trust him with a gun and tell him to shoot the turkey in the head. That bastage would miss for sure! :killingme

Their heads are huge and sticking straight up off their bodies. And if someone is a regular hunter, once they find a turkey, hitting him with a rifle with scope is not a problem. It's not like shooting a deer with a bow and hoping the arrow doesn't glance off.
Buddy of mine is doing bow turkey hunting this year.

JoeMac

Their heads are huge and sticking straight up off their bodies. And if someone is a regular hunter, once they find a turkey, hitting him with a rifle with scope is not a problem. It's not like shooting a deer with a bow and hoping the arrow doesn't glance off.

I have never heard of an arrow with a broad head glancing off a deer. I am familiar with them jumping the string and putting a poor shot on them, but never one glancing off. Care to elaborate on this?

JoeMac

Really? You are going be so anal as to nitpick me over my verbage?

How about: glance off the bow string...or not actually hitting the mark and making the kill..or not having enough velocity behind the shot to actually make the distance...or we could go on, but mybe you get the idea. If not, you can freaking "elaborate" for me.

Sorry, I was just trying to make sure I understood your post. I didn't think I came across rudely, but if I did I apologize.

bulldog

Their heads are huge? Compared to what? Do you know people who hunt turkeys with a rifle and scope? First I have ever heard of that and in the SOMD neck of the woods, unless they are using a .22 (which I doubt), hunting with a high powered rifle is not legal. Most often they are hunted with a shotgun, but even then it is no easy task. A turkey's hearing is very good and their eyesight is amazing. It's about more than finding a turkey and blowing its "huge" head off.

I'll be trying my hand at taking one with a bow next year.

JoeMac

Their heads are huge? Compared to what? Do you know people who hunt turkeys with a rifle and scope? First I have ever heard of that and in the SOMD neck of the woods, unless they are using a .22 (which I doubt), hunting with a high powered rifle is not legal. Most often they are hunted with a shotgun, but even then it is no easy task. A turkey's hearing is very good and their eyesight is amazing. It's about more than finding a turkey and blowing its "huge" head off.

I'll be trying my hand at taking one with a bow next year.

You better watch out, I got my head bitten off for asking about how an arrow can glance off a deer.

bulldog

You better watch out, I got my head bitten off for asking about how an arrow can glance off a deer.

That happens when someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about gets caught not knowing what they are talking about.

bulldog

Compared to a snakes head. :neener: And I know there are weird laws here in MD about hunting, but in other states there aren't as many issues. I never said I hunted for them. But I know people who do. I never once said I did. However instead of jumping an advocate for huntings arse maybe you should go hunting for real animals instead of a forumite.

Where in my post do you see me mention you personally hunting? I don't. I say "do you know people" and "they". I never said anything about you hunting.
I'm in MD so why do I give a rat's azz about "other states"?