Any Snake Experts?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
My husband used to kill snakes at first sight too... but I've convinced him to treat them differently and now we shoo them away. They serve a great purpose in our eco-system.

Cats :yay:
let him rain havoc on stray cats

They're an invasive species and serve no purpose in the local ecosystem

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
If it weren't illegal to kill copperheads I'd have to say I agree with you. However, due to the law and all... :coffee:

I didn't know that...one law I have broken many times...and will ignore now that I am aware of it.

F

forceofnature

Can anybody tell me what this ugly cuss might be? He decided to slither up on my back deck and hang out for a while. I stopped hubby from whacking him with a shovel but I've no idea if this one is poisonous or not. I'm in Texas now by the way.

OK what is odd here is that the head is diamond shaped which is typical of a domestic to US poisonous species, however the eyes do not have the cat like pupil so I would venture to say it is a type of water snake.

Looks like my google search proved it here is a link

Diamond Backed Water Snake

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
OK what is odd here is that the head is diamond shaped which is typical of a domestic to US poisonous species, however the eyes do not have the cat like pupil so I would venture to say it is a type of water snake.

Well, that last picture certainly looked like the correct head shape. If it is a water snake he is far from any water! Our stock pond has been dry for 6 months and this area is pretty far from any natural bodies of water.

F

forceofnature

Well, that last picture certainly looked like the correct head shape. If it is a water snake he is far from any water! Our stock pond has been dry for 6 months and this area is pretty far from any natural bodies of water.

Could be lost or a pet.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Cats :yay:
let him rain havoc on stray cats

They're an invasive species and serve no purpose in the local ecosystem

I've got 2 vile feral cats I'm close to pulling out the .22 and dispatching. They pee in my garage, crap in my garden, and have destroyed all my bedding plants on either side of the garage. The leave foot prints all over our vehicles and eat the dog's food. They have taken up permanent residence and they need to go! My Australian Shepherd won't even chase them since he was raised with my 2 old indoor cats and doesn't seem to regard these interlopers as enemies. This whole area is infested with feral cats.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Can anybody tell me what this ugly cuss might be? He decided to slither up on my back deck and hang out for a while. I stopped hubby from whacking him with a shovel but I've no idea if this one is poisonous or not. I'm in Texas now by the way.

Don't go by this 100% of the time, but ANY snake with a triangle shaped head.. leave alone.. In other words, if it has a triangle shaped head, it's probably a viper (poisonous) of some kind, that is NOT saying if it doesn't have a triangle shaped head that it's safe to play with.

Looking at the picture in your first post, I see a pronounced triangle shaped head.. unless the angle of the camera is bad.. Doesn't matter what it is at that point, it's poisonous, leave it alone.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

See, I thought the location, not the look, of the eyes was different.. Usually the viper has the eyes set farther back on the head.. near the corners of the triangle.. he has his eyes set way forward near the end of his head..

BUT even if he is a non-venomous snake.. I stand by my Triangle Head, Stay Away philosophy.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Could be lost or a pet.

This is a VERY rural area, mostly ranchers, so I doubt that it was a pet but who knows. Most places out this way have stock ponds dug but they seem pretty small, muddy, and lifeless to support reptiles.

See, I thought the location, not the look, of the eyes was different.. Usually the viper has the eyes set farther back on the head.. near the corners of the triangle.. he has his eyes set way forward near the end of his head..

BUT even if he is a non-venomous snake.. I stand by my Triangle Head, Stay Away philosophy.

That is pretty much my policy with any snake, they can still deliver a nasty bite and I'd have a freakin' heart attack if one got me. I swear everything down here is to be avoided. I found a scorpion in my two year olds room the other day, it looks like it was stepped on but was only about 2 feet from her crib. Fire ants infest every part of Texas and you can't even sit on the grass without risking multiple itchy burning painful bites. I miss the far north, give me mosquitoes any day!

F

forceofnature

Yes, I do the same thing stay away if not sure. Although not native in the US a Cobra looks non-poisonous when its just slithering around.. Now when it gets up and throws out its hood then you know your in trouble.

General Lee

I'm glad you let them go in their merry way. You sure do have plenty of snake varieties in Texas so it seems the best approach. My husband used to kill snakes at first sight too... but I've convinced him to treat them differently and now we shoo them away. They serve a great purpose in our eco-system.

IMO it goes both ways. Yes they serve a purpose but on the other hand its when you don't see them when you catch a bite. I say kill the poisonous ones.......that way next time they can't get the one up on you and you end up croaking from a bite.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Looks like a rat snake. Rat Snake

mingiz

Horse Poor
This is a VERY rural area, mostly ranchers, so I doubt that it was a pet but who knows. Most places out this way have stock ponds dug but they seem pretty small, muddy, and lifeless to support reptiles.

That is pretty much my policy with any snake, they can still deliver a nasty bite and I'd have a freakin' heart attack if one got me. I swear everything down here is to be avoided. I found a scorpion in my two year olds room the other day, it looks like it was stepped on but was only about 2 feet from her crib. Fire ants infest every part of Texas and you can't even sit on the grass without risking multiple itchy burning painful bites. I miss the far north, give me mosquitoes any day!

:killingme:killingme My other half is from the Hill Country and I met my first scorpion after going to bed. Never again. I told him I won't live were you have to watch every step...Oh fire ants....met them too....:popcorn:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Attachments

• nake.jpg
    nake.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 157

bcp

In My Opinion
Now, Im no expert on snakes, but, I do happen to live with one.
and one thing I do know is that there is a difference between poisenous and venomous.
Snakes are venomous. not poisenous.

Just thought I would share.

bcp

In My Opinion
coral2.jpg

bullsnake [640x480].jpg Now about the shape of the head. Had to download some picts to give examples.
look at both snakes and determine only by the shape of the head which snake you would prefer to play with if you had a choice.