Anyone ever have to testify? (My dog was attacked by another dog)

frequentflier

happy to be living
I've never had to go to court to testify but that may change soon, I just filed an affidavit on Tuesday because my neighbor's pitbulls keep getting out and causing trouble. One of them tried to attack my dog while I was walking it on a leash but a good kick to it's head sent it running back home. I'm glad it didn't escalate beyond that. A week or so later both of his pitbulls showed up at my house and tried to attack my dogs through the storm door. I closed the front door to block their view and they ran around back and tried again at the basement door...it's bad when you can't even let your dogs outside in your own yard. I spoke with one neighbor and the same 2 dogs have attacked his rabbit hutches and caused injuries to several rabbits. Another neighbor had to pick their little dog up and run inside. Enough is enough, I can't keep having them threatening my pets and there are several small children nearby and if anything bad were to happen I would feel guilty for not reporting them.

Calvert Co has recently put together an Animal Matters Hearing Board comprised of volunteers including a local veterinarian, several people involved with animal rescue and rights and I believe a dog trainer/animal behaviorist. They will be hearing court cases and making determinations about *problem animals* (and their owners). Their first meeting was 5/3/17 and I am unsure how quickly they will be in court but I know several of the people involved and am happy to see such a group in this county. I believe they will make a big difference; where local animal control and judges are lacking.
Hopefully, it will help people like you that are worried about animals that are a threat to the safety of everyone around; with owners that could care less.

Last edited:

Roman

Bman, this sounds like a true nightmare for not only you, but others. I assume that there is no sense trying to talk to these people? Is there a way that you can get a petition going, or is there an HOA in your neighborhood? I feel badly for you, and for your animals.

Bman

Thanks for the info frequentflier! I may have to look into that and maybe try to attend a meeting.

Roman, White Sands does have an HOA but the only thing I have seen for my dues is flowers at the entrance and "Dumpster day" where they bring in dumpsters for the residents once or twice a tear. Which I really don't understand why we are paying for that because if you can load the junk into your vehicle and take it to the HOA office to dump it you can drive 5 minutes to the dang landfill!

Bman

oh yea, I talked to one of my neighbors today and the dogs got out again this past week and got picked up, the owner had to pay $1000 to get one of the dogs back and apparently he gave the other one up. I don't know if that is true or not and if it is then it is a step in the right direction. I hope that the fact that I filed an affidavit on Tuesday and his dogs were picked up after that will show the Sheriffs that this is a repeat offender and they will keep an eye on him and his dog/dogs.

littlelady

God bless the USA
oh yea, I talked to one of my neighbors today and the dogs got out again this past week and got picked up, the owner had to pay $1000 to get one of the dogs back and apparently he gave the other one up. I don't know if that is true or not and if it is then it is a step in the right direction. I hope that the fact that I filed an affidavit on Tuesday and his dogs were picked up after that will show the Sheriffs that this is a repeat offender and they will keep an eye on him and his dog/dogs.

I am glad you are getting the issue resolved. We have a problem at our new house that is fenced with split rail. We have 6 houses surrounding our backyard because of the way our lot sits. Half have dogs. We have two labradoodles. The other dogs are a lab, a shepherd, and two mixes. They bark at each other incessantly, and our granddaughter is always drawn to the mayhem. I don't think the dogs are bad because they wag their tails while they are barking at each other, and we have talked to the neighbor/owners. I hope it will be ok, it is just very annoying. Your situation is different because your neighbor's dogs are not contained. Which I don't understand because there is a leash law in Calvert. But, anyway, I feel sorry for the pit bulls. Humans made them the way they are. Hope all works out for you, and you can feel safe in your own neighborhood.

One more thought...my dot's bf has a rescued pit bull named Lucy that wouldn't harm a fly. Just wanted to say that. Gotta go to bed. Driving to Waldorf tomorrow for family baby shower. First time I have been back to somd since we moved in October. I hope I don't get nostalgic and sad. I think I probably will. :frown:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Thanks for the info frequentflier! I may have to look into that and maybe try to attend a meeting.

Roman, White Sands does have an HOA but the only thing I have seen for my dues is flowers at the entrance and "Dumpster day" where they bring in dumpsters for the residents once or twice a tear. Which I really don't understand why we are paying for that because if you can load the junk into your vehicle and take it to the HOA office to dump it you can drive 5 minutes to the dang landfill!

Just to let you know, ff owns Peppers Pet Pantry in Solomons in the Food Lion shopping center. Thought you might want to know so that maybe you can shop local. Yikes, I am not in bed yet! Darn forum! :lol:

So last Friday night my 10 year old Chocolate Lab, Rufus, was attacked by a loose pit bull. I was walking Rufus on a leash in the common area of our neighborhood when this loose dog ran up and attacked my dog. It was horrible. Totally unprovoked as my dog didn't see it until it was on us. She eventually latched onto my dogs foot and wouldn't let go. I was trying to pull her off while kicking her, but I didn't want to pull my own dog's foot apart or get attacked myself! After yelling and screaming for help (I'm a 39 year old dude, it was plenty loud) finally neighbors from like 8 townhomes away came and helped beat the pitbull until it released. They were able to throw it into their yard and call animal control. I took my dog to the emergency vet where he got tons of staples in his foot and the base of his ear, which was torn up. He is doing much better now. Animal control came to the emergency vet and took pictures and my statement. The officer actually had the dog in custody and said it was likely a fighting dog because it had scars and was emaciated. Lovely. She called me the other day and said the owner came forward. Unfortunately the only path forward is to testify in court about the attack and then animal control can fine the owner and place restrictions on the dog. Has anyone done this before? What is it like? So the dog won't be killed...but it will be given back to this POS owner. I am assuming I would have to sue the owner to get my vet bills back, right? Ugh, that seems like it would cost more than I would get back! Any advice? To make things a bit more complicated, we moved into a new house this past weekend. I know the address of the pitbull owner and it is in my old neighborhood. He asked the officer for my address(according to the officer it is public knowledge since it is in the report)...perhaps to apologize? I don't know. He claimed the dog was missing for weeks. But it was still in the neighborhood! I am just a little worried if he is in fact involved in dog fighting, will he come after me if I testify? Things like that. I am not scared and I want to do the right thing, but I also have a wife and two kids to worry about! I will definitely tell the HOA about this owner having a pitbull. They are not allowed in the neighborhood. Thanks for listening!

I know someone who had an azzhole dog and got sued by the neighbors ... he simply ignored all notices. Eventually it caused the jerk with the jerk dog to have some sort of legal issues- but the rub is - the person suing never got squat. Also check your PMer...

Bman

Guess what I just got in the mail...a court date notice! Now I get to take a day off work to go testify in court, yippee:doh:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

So last Friday night my 10 year old Chocolate Lab, Rufus, was attacked by a loose pit bull. I was walking Rufus on a leash in the common area of our neighborhood when this loose dog ran up and attacked my dog. It was horrible. Totally unprovoked as my dog didn't see it until it was on us. She eventually latched onto my dogs foot and wouldn't let go. I was trying to pull her off while kicking her, but I didn't want to pull my own dog's foot apart or get attacked myself! After yelling and screaming for help (I'm a 39 year old dude, it was plenty loud) finally neighbors from like 8 townhomes away came and helped beat the pitbull until it released. They were able to throw it into their yard and call animal control. I took my dog to the emergency vet where he got tons of staples in his foot and the base of his ear, which was torn up. He is doing much better now. Animal control came to the emergency vet and took pictures and my statement. The officer actually had the dog in custody and said it was likely a fighting dog because it had scars and was emaciated. Lovely. She called me the other day and said the owner came forward. Unfortunately the only path forward is to testify in court about the attack and then animal control can fine the owner and place restrictions on the dog. Has anyone done this before? What is it like? So the dog won't be killed...but it will be given back to this POS owner. I am assuming I would have to sue the owner to get my vet bills back, right? Ugh, that seems like it would cost more than I would get back! Any advice? To make things a bit more complicated, we moved into a new house this past weekend. I know the address of the pitbull owner and it is in my old neighborhood. He asked the officer for my address(according to the officer it is public knowledge since it is in the report)...perhaps to apologize? I don't know. He claimed the dog was missing for weeks. But it was still in the neighborhood! I am just a little worried if he is in fact involved in dog fighting, will he come after me if I testify? Things like that. I am not scared and I want to do the right thing, but I also have a wife and two kids to worry about! I will definitely tell the HOA about this owner having a pitbull. They are not allowed in the neighborhood. Thanks for listening!

This is one reason why one should always carry a good carry knife. With a good knife, during the attack, you could have killed that damn dog and ended any of its possible future attacks. Start with puncturing the lungs then attack its neck and eyes. As 39 years old man you should know this, screaming doesn't do a damn bit of good. If it was attacking your wife or girlfriend, would you be screaming as well? A dead pitbull is the best kind of pitbull.

Bman

I went to court on July 31st but we never even went before the judge. I spoke with the state's attorney about 15 minutes before our case was supposed to start and she asked if there had been any more problems and I said no. Then she asked what I would like to see happen and I said that I just wanted some kind of record that the guys dogs were a problem because if they got out again and hurt(or killed) a kid or someone's pet I would feel responsible for not reporting them. She recommended dropping all but one charge for allowing the dog that he still has to be at large and I agreed to that. She spoke with my neighbor and he agreed to plead guilty to that charge so I was allowed to leave at that point. Hopefully there won't be any more issues but I am still carrying my dog repellent spray when I walk my dogs in the evenings.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I went to court on July 31st but we never even went before the judge. I spoke with the state's attorney about 15 minutes before our case was supposed to start and she asked if there had been any more problems and I said no. Then she asked what I would like to see happen and I said that I just wanted some kind of record that the guys dogs were a problem because if they got out again and hurt(or killed) a kid or someone's pet I would feel responsible for not reporting them. She recommended dropping all but one charge for allowing the dog that he still has to be at large and I agreed to that. She spoke with my neighbor and he agreed to plead guilty to that charge so I was allowed to leave at that point. Hopefully there won't be any more issues but I am still carrying my dog repellent spray when I walk my dogs in the evenings.

I hope your neighbor does what he says he will do. Some people are so arrogant, and all. If he is smart, he will not let it happen again, or he will lose his dog; forever. Stay safe.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living

The first Calvert Animal Hearings Board Meeting was held tonight in PF, which I attended. Two dogs deemed dangerous were taken off the list but the 3rd, a GSD, with a previous bite history and shock collar/underground fencing; will continue to be deemed dangerous.

littlelady

God bless the USA
The first Calvert Animal Hearings Board Meeting was held tonight in PF, which I attended. Two dogs deemed dangerous were taken off the list but the 3rd, a GSD, with a previous bite history and shock collar/underground fencing; will continue to be deemed dangerous.

Wow. You are so awesome to take the time to be county active. You just proved that Pitts are not the only bad dogs. Thanks, ff, for all you do.

littlelady

God bless the USA
http://countytimes.somd.com/read/calvert.php

This is a case I care a lot about in CC as I drive by there several times a day.

I never understood why people have pets if they don't let them live inside the house. I can't even imagine leaving Daisy outside all the time (not to mention my history from 10 years old with many pets; it all started when I found an abandoned calico kitten in a tree in my front yard in NOLA; named her Kitty and she lived to 21). Makes no sense. Thanks for caring about our furry friends. I do want to say, I/we have always been rescuers, but we got Daisy and Toby (Labradoodles; in the top 5 for hypoallergenic) two years ago because of grown dot's severe allergies that she endured growing up with the rescues. All pups and kits are wonderful; they just need someone to love them back. :huggy:

Last edited:
If I may ...

This is one reason why one should always carry a good carry knife. With a good knife, during the attack, you could have killed that damn dog and ended any of its possible future attacks. Start with puncturing the lungs then attack its neck and eyes. As 39 years old man you should know this, screaming doesn't do a damn bit of good. If it was attacking your wife or girlfriend, would you be screaming as well? A dead pitbull is the best kind of pitbull.

:twitch:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Thats terrible, how can those poor dogs live in those horrid conditions. Do you know the people?

No but I live in the neighborhood. I called AC once when I drove by and it was 18 degrees out with snow on the ground. Since we were under a snow emergency, AC was not working and called several days later to see if I still wanted a check welfare done! The ACO officer reported the people said they bring the dogs indoors in bad weather. Uh, yeah, right. Doesn't matter if it is snowing, sleeting, 90 degrees- there are dogs chained to trees.
There are two females that have had multiple litters and there are now three more females running loose that one could assume are for breeding purposes.
AC says everything is fine at both properties :rolleyes: