anyone had/have a .357/.38 levergun?

Vince

Did you ever see what a Henry rifle can do in the hands of someone that knows how to use it?

Attachments

• h006_bigboy_lg.jpg
    h006_bigboy_lg.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 92

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Yes, I have one.
The concept is to have both rifle and handgun chambered alike so you only need to buy/carry one cartridge type. A lever action works for a lefty :yay:
The .357 out of a rifle will take out a deer no sweat. Only problem I encountered was some types of ammo didn't like to feed properly, mostly hollow points

.... but now you can't find .357 or .38sp ammo for sale

Vince

are you talking about "the Duke"?

:lol:
Danny Glover in Silverado. I bought the Henry .44 magnum. Nice gun and will definitely do for deer season, but of course it will go to Pa for deer hunting. Got to sight it in yet. I will get the Henry metal frame next in a .45 LC.

Attachments

• henryrifle.jpg
    henryrifle.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Magnum

Should be Huntin

dustin

UAIOE
Danny Glover in Silverado. I bought the Henry .44 magnum. Nice gun and will definitely do for deer season, but of course it will go to Pa for deer hunting. Got to sight it in yet. I will get the Henry metal frame next in a .45 LC.
i like the idea of the .44 (ballistics wise) but i like the idea of shooting both .357 and .38 even better... more versatile with ammo choices... at least used to be...

when i left the states (almost a year ago to the day), .357 and .38 ammo was stocked high in all the gun shops and walmart in elizabeth city.... i wonder what it looks like now (along with 9mm).

Vince

i like the idea of the .44 (ballistics wise) but i like the idea of shooting both .357 and .38 even better... more versatile with ammo choices... at least used to be...

when i left the states (almost a year ago to the day), .357 and .38 ammo was stocked high in all the gun shops and walmart in elizabeth city.... i wonder what it looks like now (along with 9mm).
Since Obama took office, ammo of any kind is getting hard to come by.

Has anyone ever had, or currently have, a .357/.38 lever action rifle? Marlin, Winchester, Rossi/Puma, etc.?

What purpose did it serve for you and how did you like it? Pros/cons...

I am interested in buying one once I return to the states for a fun gun, and an unlikely (but possible) use as sub 80 yard hunting rifle.

Puma 10 + 1 357 Rem. Mag w/20" Round Blue Barrel/Scope for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $513.00
I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Yes, I know you were asking about pistol calibers and this is a rifle caliber. But, I love this gun. You cannot beat .35 Remington in a brush gun. With standard loads, it is good out to 125 yards (for an OK shooter, not a marksman). With the new Hornaday levergun rounds, you can go to 150-200 easily. Good for everything from deer to black bear within common sense range.

Don't know if the Marlin is available in pistol calibers, but if it is, that's what I would buy, hands down.

dustin

UAIOE
I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Yes, I know you were asking about pistol calibers and this is a rifle caliber. But, I love this gun. You cannot beat .35 Remington in a brush gun. With standard loads, it is good out to 125 yards (for an OK shooter, not a marksman). With the new Hornaday levergun rounds, you can go to 150-200 easily. Good for everything from deer to black bear within common sense range.

Don't know if the Marlin is available in pistol calibers, but if it is, that's what I would buy, hands down.
Just checked the site... yup the 1894 Cowboy has them in .357/.38... prices look a bit steep though... maybe i could find a good used one. I like the octagon barrel look. Not sure if there is any practicality there though...

Marlin Model 1894 Cowboy

gallery of guns lists at $842 ack!

JoeMac

I was considering this a couple of years ago to hunt in western maryland. Back in the early 1900s when the .357 mag was introduced it was used extensively as a hunting cartridge on large north american game with excellent success. The problem is today's loads are loaded at much lower velocities. With a skilled marksmen and good ammunition I feel this is an adequate cartridge for deer sized game. Check out this ammo Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business, look at their .357 mag velocities out of the rifle. If that won't take down a deer, neither will a bazooka.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I was considering this a couple of years ago to hunt in western maryland. Back in the early 1900s when the .357 mag was introduced it was used extensively as a hunting cartridge on large north american game with excellent success. The problem is today's loads are loaded at much lower velocities. With a skilled marksmen and good ammunition I feel this is an adequate cartridge for deer sized game. Check out this ammo Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business, look at their .357 mag velocities out of the rifle. If that won't take down a deer, neither will a bazooka.

Higher velocity dosen't always mean better penetration. In some HP rounds higher velocity actually created worse penetration, we've had the ballistic discussion on here before and I don't really feel like posting all the links again but we've talked about it in this section since Jan. I believe.