Aoc

CPUSA

SamSpade

This is better than anything I could cook up...and it's real

I was wondering when someone was gonna post this.
When I first heard this, I thought - seriously, how stupid is this woman?

I realized later it wasn't stupid so much as it was how much her world view is screwed up.
Her point wasn't so much that it can't be done - she was implying that people who succeed have to have help.
She was ridiculing the impossibility of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps as a metaphor for the fact that -
it is impossible, so you MUST need help.

And then a crap ton of people dumped on Twitter and explained to her how wrong she is.

ifxtrks

I was wondering when someone was gonna post this.
When I first heard this, I thought - seriously, how stupid is this woman?

I realized later it wasn't stupid so much as it was how much her world view is screwed up.
Her point wasn't so much that it can't be done - she was implying that people who succeed have to have help.
She was ridiculing the impossibility of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps as a metaphor for the fact that -
it is impossible, so you MUST need help.

And then a crap ton of people dumped on Twitter and explained to her how wrong she is.
I appreciate your attempt to buffer the idiocy of her statement(s) but I truly believe she was pointing out the physical impossibility of picking oneself up by the bootstraps.

SamSpade

I appreciate your attempt to buffer the idiocy of her statement(s) but I truly believe she was pointing out the physical impossibility of picking oneself up by the bootstraps.

More like she was trying to re-interpret the meaning of the phrase to mean, you can't do something hard like that without help.
She must be a real killjoy.

Clem72

More like she was trying to re-interpret the meaning of the phrase to mean, you can't do something hard like that without help.
She must be a real killjoy.

I feel it's a combination of the two. She was unfamiliar with the very well established meaning of the phrase (to accomplish something without outside help) so she looked the phrase up in wikipedia or something and saw that the origin was satirical, and then assumed that people who used that phrase were joking, knowing it was impossible to do what they ask.

SamSpade

I feel it's a combination of the two. She was unfamiliar with the very well established meaning of the phrase (to accomplish something without outside help) so she looked the phrase up in wikipedia or something and saw that the origin was satirical, and then assumed that people who used that phrase were joking, knowing it was impossible to do what they ask.

When I first heard it, I wanted to say, hey moron, "get the lead out of your ass" doesn't ACTUALLY mean you have lead in it. If someone needs to "pull themselves together" it doesn't mean, literally they're in pieces, and if their head is in the clouds, it doesn't mean to go looking for it in the atmosphere. But I read the context. She's just trying to add her own part into it.

Can't wait until this woman pisses off her constituents enough that they send her back to her bartending.