Are alcohol/drug tests mandatory after car crash?

tom88

The roadside breath test can be used only when there is a reason to use it. The result is not admissable in court other than to show why they decided to arrest the person and take them in for an admissable breath test. The cops are fully aware of this, and it is not likely that they would risk their career to do random breath tests.

The results of the road side test are not admissable period. The officer has to have other probable cause to make the arrest, the preliminary breath test is for their information.

foodcritic

Yep...but it is the one that they administer after they take you to the jail that results in the automatic suspension. But if you refuse the one on the roadside, you're going for a ride...doesn't matter if you're over the limit or not.

Partially true

If you refuse chemical testing (after arrest) you will lose your license. Your license (in the fine print) means you provide "Implied Consent". Meaning by having a license you in turn will consent to chemical testing when probable cause exists to believe your under arrest. A roadside PBT means absolutely nothing. Not admissible in court. It can only be used as a clue for the officer.

If your a juvenile/under 21 they can give it to you. That's all they need to cite you for the underage alcohol consumption/civil citation.

MMDad

Lem Putt
The results of the road side test are not admissable period. The officer has to have other probable cause to make the arrest, the preliminary breath test is for their information.

You sound like you're arguing with my assertion that the roadside test is not admissable by saying it is not admissable. WTF?

tom88

You sound like you're arguing with my assertion that the roadside test is not admissable by saying it is not admissable. WTF?

You say it's not admissable "other than....." I was just pointing out that it wasn't admissable at all.

Fairmount

Nobody with half a brain could ever out sum you, but it don't take lots of brains to assume.
I wish I was as cool as you....

MMDad

Lem Putt
attorney please don't try to sound like one...It shows how stupid you really are...

Time to pass out Tommy. Lots of booze to drink tomorrow. Don't worry though - you'll time travel your way through the week again.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
You say it's not admissable "other than....." I was just pointing out that it wasn't admissable at all.

Actually, the road side breath test can be brought in to show that there was probable cause to arrest the driver. The fact that the breath test was done and pass/fail is admissable, but the quantitative result (or BAC) is not admissable.

Two-er

Are you sure there was no sign? Were you there to observe the driver's behavior? Were his eyes bloodshot? Was his speech a bit slurred? Was he steady on his feet? Was he coherent? Was he beligerent? Did he get pissy with the cops? Was he "feeling no pain" despite visible injury? Did his eyes focus? Did his eyes react appropriately to the light?

Would a dead body under the car be considered a sign?

tom88

Actually, the road side breath test can be brought in to show that there was probable cause to arrest the driver. The fact that the breath test was done and pass/fail is admissable, but the quantitative result (or BAC) is not admissable.

I was going to write this exhuastive response explaining the rule to you, but instead decided to simply tell you that you are wrong. Have a nice day.

BernieP

Resident PIA
So, we have a friend that is like 17 .

That would be reason enough. A number of cops are going to go fishing if they have a teen pulled over because a good portion of the time they will find something (be it weed or an alcholic beverage container). Snce most people don't realize they can say NO to the request to search your vehicle, it's considered legal because you gave consent.

I know for a fact that some will stop what they believe is a teenage boy just to search the car. Only problem in one case was it was not a teenager, and the person knew their rights. The outcome of the stop wasn't even a warning because the only reason for the traffic stop was the time of day and who the officer believed was driving the car. Oh, and there was no apology either, just one pissed off cop.

poster

So, we have a friend that is like 17 and hit some ice last night. Lost traction, over corrected and slammed into a tree. Had seat belt on. Airbags deployed (I think speed was an issue). Just banged and bruised but thankfully, no injuries...
So when the sheriff arrived, they immediately administered a breath test. The driver was sober. No indication of alcohol was evident (no smell, no beer cans, etc.) as there was no drinking going on.
Is this the norm now? I thought the only reason a breath test was given was to validate the suspicion of drugs or alcohol, not to determine if was there. Have the rules changed? Are we to expect this type of 'search' as a result of an accident? I thought we are innocent until proven guilty. This sounds like they had to prove innocence... Any lawyers/sheriff's that would care to comment on this? I'd sure appreciate it.

Sober people usually don't run off the road, there's your probably cause.
There was no search, he ran into a tree, it's an investigation following an accident.

True 'accidents' happen on occation as your friend has proven but any cop that comes on scene of a traffic accident at night would wonder if the driver (no matter the age) is possibly drunk. What time at night was this?
I would venture to guess the drivers responses to the officers questions is what prompted the test.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Sober people usually don't run off the road, there's your probably cause.
There was no search, he ran into a tree, it's an investigation following an accident.

True 'accidents' happen on occation as your friend has proven but any cop that comes on scene of a traffic accident at night would wonder if the driver (no matter the age) is possibly drunk. What time at night was this?
I would venture to guess the drivers responses to the officers questions is what prompted the test.

Roadside sobriety tests are considered a search under the 4th amendment. The officer needs reasonable suspicion, not probable cause, to do the tests.

poster

Roadside sobriety tests are considered a search under the 4th amendment. The officer needs reasonable suspicion, not probable cause, to do the tests.

Ok, this I did not know, however wouldn't hitting a tree be suspicious enough?
Most sober drivers don't run into things.

Roman

Crash & Testing

The Cop was following his Protocol. Depending on the severity of the Crash, they WILL test you. If there were serious injuries, or a Fatality..all parties involved will be tested, mainly with Blood Work, because it's more accurate. Even the deceased are tested. I know that you said he had a few bumps & bruises, and that he was fine. Considering he is a Juvinile, and it was a single vehicle crash, the Cop was just doing his Job. Even though this Kid probably does NOT drink, there are so many that do, and that's where Driver Error comes in to play in some Crashes.

poster

You know.......
None of us were there, I doubt the OP was either, we don't know the chain of events.
I'm sure the officer acted appropriately to the situation at hand, kudos to him giving the test and kudos to the kid for being sober.

Sorry if little 'Johnny' got his feelings hurt (if at all) but that's life, get over it.
This could have had a much different outcome, it's great that no one was hurt.
Be thankfull and move on.