Are alcohol/drug tests mandatory after car crash?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ok, this I did not know, however wouldn't hitting a tree be suspicious enough?
Most sober drivers don't run into things.

did you miss the part about the ICE?
Sober drivers do run into things, deer for instance, men pushing lawn mowerrs.. just sayin

Go G-Men

So, we have a friend that is like 17 and hit some ice last night. Lost traction, over corrected and slammed into a tree. Had seat belt on. Airbags deployed (I think speed was an issue). Just banged and bruised but thankfully, no injuries...
So when the sheriff arrived, they immediately administered a breath test. The driver was sober. No indication of alcohol was evident (no smell, no beer cans, etc.) as there was no drinking going on.
Is this the norm now? I thought the only reason a breath test was given was to validate the suspicion of drugs or alcohol, not to determine if was there. Have the rules changed? Are we to expect this type of 'search' as a result of an accident? I thought we are innocent until proven guilty. This sounds like they had to prove innocence... Any lawyers/sheriff's that would care to comment on this? I'd sure appreciate it.

What is really amazing is that nobody brought up the fact that if this boy was 17 than he is a minor. I personally have instructed my children that they should never consent to a search period. If the officer wants to do any search whether it be breathalyzer or vehicle he will need probable cause or a warrant.

Secondly, if I am not mistaken, when a minor is involved in an accident they are either taken to the hospital or an guardian must appear at the scene for the minor to be released.

Seems to me that there was more going on here than we got from the OP.

BernieP

Resident PIA
What is really amazing is that nobody brought up the fact that if this boy was 17 than he is a minor. I personally have instructed my children that they should never consent to a search period. If the officer wants to do any search whether it be breathalyzer or vehicle he will need probable cause or a warrant.

Secondly, if I am not mistaken, when a minor is involved in an accident they are either taken to the hospital or an guardian must appear at the scene for the minor to be released.

It's called PROFILING

If you or I had this accident there would be no test, no question about searching the vehicle etc. I'll take the OP on their word, it was an accident caused by an over reaction to hitting ice (happens with inexperienced drivers).
The fact is because of the drivers age they are going to search the car because there is a good bet they will find something in the car.

It's so easy to say, "well they must have been doing somethng wrong" or, "well the fact is they found stuff in the car" blah blah blah
What we fail to accept that is we are allowing the rights of a certain class of individual to be violated. But because they are teenagers, that's okay, if they were black or hispanic, that would be racial profiling and bad.

Like I said, I know for a fact, that certain officers will pull over a car BECAUSE. First question is, "where are you going?" Second question is, "Can I look in your car?".
Probable cause? Age and time of day.

Wrkn4livn

It's called PROFILING

If you or I had this accident there would be no test, no question about searching the vehicle etc. I'll take the OP on their word, it was an accident caused by an over reaction to hitting ice (happens with inexperienced drivers).
The fact is because of the drivers age they are going to search the car because there is a good bet they will find something in the car.

It's so easy to say, "well they must have been doing somethng wrong" or, "well the fact is they found stuff in the car" blah blah blah
What we fail to accept that is we are allowing the rights of a certain class of individual to be violated. But because they are teenagers, that's okay, if they were black or hispanic, that would be racial profiling and bad.

Like I said, I know for a fact, that certain officers will pull over a car BECAUSE. First question is, "where are you going?" Second question is, "Can I look in your car?".
Probable cause? Age and time of day.

That's how I looked at the situation. It was profiling. The young driver was obviously upset. They ended up with bruised knees, sprained wrist and ankle and few scraps from the airbag. They did go to the hospital. It was just after midnight. It would have been MUCH worse if they had not been wearing seat belts (lap/shoulder).
You can say, 'just deal with it and move on' but I think it's more than that. I think if there are indications that drinking was taking place like smell, beer cans, smell of pot, etc., test away and penalize them! Driving IS a privilege and if one abuses the privilege, take it away from them. I forgot about the 'consent to search' goes along with the privilege of carrying a drivers license. Believe me, I'm not one of those people who thinks everything is owed to a person. I just struck me as a 'rush to judgment'... By the way, OJ was guilty so no one needs to bring THAT up.

Thanks for the feedback! It was informative (and some of the comments were funny).

poster

Why?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
On the back of every MD drivers license:

Driving in Maryland implies consent to chemical testing for intoxication as required by law. Longer license suspension may result from refusal to be tested.

Searching the vehicle requires some degree of probable cause. Asking to administer a breath test does not; holders of MD licenses very specifically waive their rights on that score when signing the license form.

That said..you can, of course, still refuse to take the test.

Wrkn4livn

I think this is good advice. Why? Because it's the job of the sheriff and the county prosecutor to PUT YOU IN JAIL. That's what they are paid to do and they will do it with or without your help. People who talk to the police will usually hurt themselves without knowing it. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the law but I do know "anything you say can, and will, be used against you". It's better to not say anything and the lawyers protect you against yourself...

Wrkn4livn

On the back of every MD drivers license:

Searching the vehicle requires some degree of probable cause. Asking to administer a breath test does not; holders of MD licenses very specifically waive their rights on that score when signing the license form.

That said..you can, of course, still refuse to take the test.

That sounds like consent to issue the test to me. Thanks. I'll be sure I remind my young driver... You drive, you consent to be tested any time, anywhere...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
People who talk to the police will usually hurt themselves without knowing it. ...

Interesting. For some reason, I've always found, instead, that being cooperative and courteous went a long way in any situation involving the police. Never met a LEO who seemed to be singularly intent on putting anyone in jail, either. On the other hand, I've seen them go to some pretty extraordinary lengths and put up with a ton of crap to avoid taking someon to jail.

Just sayin...maybe its different in this part of the county?

poster

Interesting. For some reason, I've always found, instead, that being cooperative and courteous went a long way in any situation involving the police. Never met a LEO who seemed to be singularly intent on putting anyone in jail, either. On the other hand, I've seen them go to some pretty extraordinary lengths and put up with a ton of crap to avoid taking someon to jail.

I agree.
I don't see how teaching a minor to be uncooperative with an officer is beneficial to anyone.
Unless of course you're sure they're doing something they shouldn't be. :whistle:

poster

I think this is good advice. Why? Because it's the job of the sheriff and the county prosecutor to PUT YOU IN JAIL. That's what they are paid to do and they will do it with or without your help. People who talk to the police will usually hurt themselves without knowing it. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the law but I do know "anything you say can, and will, be used against you". It's better to not say anything and the lawyers protect you against yourself...

:killingme:
I don't know what to say to this.

Go G-Men

I agree.
I don't see how teaching a minor to be uncooperative with an officer is beneficial to anyone.
Unless of course you're sure they're doing something they shouldn't be. :whistle:

You can be courteous to Police Officers while also understanding your constitutional rights. I have had a police officer ask me once if he could search my vehicle and I politely said he does not have my permission to do so. He seemed put off by it but no overly so.

tom88

Here are cases where the preliminary breath test was admitted for the reason I stated:

http://mdcourts.gov/opinions/coa/2007/123a06.pdf

http://mdcourts.gov/opinions/coa/2007/88a06.pdf

There are many more.

Should I believe you or the COA?

Well...you might want to try again. The first case doesn't even pertain to field sobriety or preliminary breath tests, and the second case has nothing to do with the courts. The second case is in reference to an administrative hearing to suspend a drivers license. Your efforts are notable, however flawed. Search on though, but during your search, please ensure that the court addresses the specific use or prohibitive of use as evidence of a preliminary breath test.

I would tell you the exact case where you can find this, but I am enjoying your research. On a side note, you need probable cause to execute an arrest or search, not reasonable suspicion.

Wrkn4livn

Nothing in what I said infers disrespect or not cooperating with the authorities.

MMDad

Lem Putt
If the officer wants to do any search whether it be breathalyzer or vehicle he will need probable cause or a warrant.

Roadside sobriety tests require reasonable suspicion, not probable cause. Refusal of the test can be probable cause for an arrest. Continued refusal of the test can result in losing your license.

Your advice could very easily result in your kids losing their license. You might want to rethink your advice.

MMDad

Lem Putt
The first case doesn't even pertain to field sobriety or preliminary breath tests,
Did you even look at it? Try this part:
A preliminary breath test revealed that she had a breath alcohol content of .19. As a result, Deputy Sheriff Schreiner placed Broadwater under arrest.

and the second case has nothing to do with the courts.

I see, the Maryland Court of Appeals is not a court. Got ya. :rolleyes:

On a side note, you need probable cause to execute an arrest or search, not reasonable suspicion.

http://www.courts.state.md.us/opinions/cosa/2006/2273s05.pdf

Mr. Brown is right that field sobriety tests are
searches for purposes of the Fourth Amendment. He is wrong that a
police officer must have probable cause to believe that a driver is
under the influence of alcohol before requiring the driver to
perform such tests; rather, the police need only have reasonable
suspicion that the driver is under the influence of alcohol.

I'm assuming you're a cop since you think you know the law but do not. Chuck Co.?

foodcritic

Roadside sobriety tests require reasonable suspicion, not probable cause. Refusal of the test can be probable cause for an arrest. Continued refusal of the test can result in losing your license.

Your advice could very easily result in your kids losing their license. You might want to rethink your advice.

Probable cause is loosely defined is a police officers belief a crime has been committed and that the person (being arrested/charged) has committed that crime based on the evidence.

A PBT (preliminary breath test) results are not admissible in court ( a judge can consider them for sentencing however :yahoo:)

If they are not admissible, then refusing them can not establish probable cause for the officer (may be a clue for him). The officer can't arrest you for refusing to incriminate yourself with a PBT. Most people will take it to demonstrate their not intoxicated.

The only things that a court can use to establish the impairment/intoxication will be the officers observations, Standard Field Sobriety Tests, a DRE (Drug Recognition Expert) Chemical testing (intoximeter) or blood testing from a hospital or blood kit.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.