Arrest Made in the Murder of Moneta Jo Strickland

mitzi

I understand what you are saying, I get it, and agree.

She was a GREAT person, from what I read.. But you have no guarantee that the vigil won't be taken as an opportunity to get even by people totally unrelated to the family, to SoMD or to this tragic event.

It was mentioned "Where is Al, or Jesse?", but they forget to mention, "Where are the Black Panthers?" or the THOUSANDS that are already hell bent on "Doing one for Trayvon".

There is no mistaking that the racial rift in this country hasn't been this deep in probably 40 years, and you would hope that in our world, we can shelter from it, and still console and support each other despite race, BUT there are those out there that don't want that.

I hope, as well, that the vigil is peaceful and respectful.. for her, and her families sake, but nobody here can prevent people with bad intentions from showing up.

You know people in this county pretty much get along. Stop with the racial BS.

mitzi

Don't recall the library, and I got here in 93. I would discount ones where the victim knew the killer, since that sort of crime doesnt usually reach out to random people like this. Let's see, true stranger murders.......there was the hair salon killing, not sure if that was a stranger or not, the young guy in St Marys Landing, where the guy shot him in the front seat.

Other than than, it's all been people who knew the killer, I think.

In the hair salon murder, I believe they knew each other. How well, I don't know but the owner knew him. That was a brutal murder. Bob used to cut my hair in the 80s. Glad they got that POS too, he used to come in where I worked at the time.
Then there was the murder in 92 of Sara Sapp where she was killed and her car set on fire in a field in Charlotte Hall. I believe the guy accused got off.

glhs837

Power with Control
Who decides?
Stop watching detective shows on TV. I believe an "insanity" defense is rare and a successful insanity defense even more so.
You are right about one thing, if there was a death sentence, and the evidence was as strong as it appears, his lawyer would do a plea in a heartbeat to get life.

I suppose a grand jury for the initial decision to fast track it, then a real trial with a real jury. No they dont happen often, but they do happen. The case of the young lady in CA. Were he not shot by the FBI, how long should his trial had taken, seeing as he was caught with the girl? I am not saying all cases are like detective shows, so please, stop trying to diminish my arguments with that. But enough are that I feel a process for cases where it is, even one or two a year, statewide, would be a huge savings to the state, but more importantly, remove people who have proven not to be able to acts like humans from the planet. Do you truly believe there are not at least one or two open and shut brutal murders or similar heinous crimes in MD every year?

Insanity defenses where the killer gets off, yes, truly rare, much more so than the open and shut cases. But its not used for that, it's used a tool to reduce what the killer might have already had, some shred of doubt that jusssssst maybe, he really did have a confrontation then blacked for that short period while he killed her. And that shred gets spun into a lesser sentence.

As for the death penalty being used for a plea deal. If you have the evidence, which it seems they do, dont plea, go for the death penalty. Not here of course, since the state has done away with it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hell, I'll even give you one appeal? Say two years, start to finish? For open and shut cases like those animals in CT, who beat down Dad, raped Mom and one of the daughters, then tied them up and set them and the other daughter on fire?
Police caught them fleeing the scene, they confessed. DNA also, unless I'm mistaken. I think there was video of them forcing Mom to make a bank withdrawl. Happened in 2007, both got the DP in the last year or so. How long before they actually get a needle?

How long should it take to put them down with all of that? It happened in 2007. Only defense by either of them was "The other guy told me to". Last guy to push for his own death penalty in CT was Micheal Ross, who spent 18 flipping years on death row after raping and killing eight young women. What sense does it make, after he's been sentenced to death, to keep him around for 18 damn years?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You know people in this county pretty much get along. Stop with the racial BS.

Oh, I'm sorry....

that you're so ignorant.

WHERE did I say people in St Mary's county don't get along?

In fact I think I said something along the lines of being sheltered from the world here, and trying not to suffer from the world's ills. That in fact, YES that mostly we do all get along.

But to think the haters (on both sides) wouldn't jump at an opportunity to take advantage of a bad situation, by crossing county or state lines is truly ignorant.

I didn't know we had entrance gates at the St Mary's county line to keep people like Farakhan, AL and Jesse OUT!

How the hell did you get here??

mitzi

Oh, I'm sorry....

that you're so ignorant.

WHERE did I say people in St Mary's county don't get along?

In fact I think I said something along the lines of being sheltered from the world here, and trying not to suffer from the world's ills. That in fact, YES that mostly we do all get along.

But to think the haters (on both sides) wouldn't jump at an opportunity to take advantage of a bad situation, by crossing county or state lines is truly ignorant.

I didn't know we had entrance gates at the St Mary's county line to keep people like Farakhan, AL and Jesse OUT!

How the hell did you get here??

What an A$$HOLE you are with the insults and calling me ignorant. I MISTAKENLY put my reply under the WRONG POST....YOURS! Excuse me, there was no need to resort to childest name calling even if I DIDN'T agree with you. Who's ignorant for flying off the handle in such a stupid way. What a d*ck, you probably can't get along with anybody with your attitude. Too bad there weren't entrance gates to keep a$$holes like you out. This discussion should never had been turned into a black/white thing in the first place.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
What an A$$HOLE you are with the insults and calling me ignorant. I MISTAKENLY put my reply under the WRONG POST....YOURS! Excuse me, there was no need to resort to childest name calling even if I DIDN'T agree with you. Who's ignorant for flying off the handle in such a stupid way. What a d*ck, you probably can't get along with anybody with your attitude. Too bad there weren't entrance gates to keep a$$holes like you out. This discussion should never had been turned into a black/white thing in the first place.
:Irony alert:

If you are going to have issue with someones post, it's doesn't support your position when you do the exact same thing in your reply.

Now, back to the discussion, already in progress.

mitzi

:Irony alert:

If you are going to have issue with someones post, it's doesn't support your position when you do the exact same thing in your reply.

Now, back to the discussion, already in progress.

I apologize. Not for what I said, I meant it to the poster. I apologize for taking away from the subject of the brutal murder of who seemed to be a beautiful, smart, loved young woman. I should have said it in a PM, but I can't delete it now.

Hank

my war
I do hope for a peaceful memorial service for her, though. It would really suck if someone tried to turn it into a race thing. I've even wondered 'how long before Jesse and Al show up'.

Rest assured, it was a peaceful event! No race riots! Retard.

Toxick

Splat
What sense does it make, after he's been sentenced to death, to keep him around for 18 damn years?

None whatsoever.

And IMO, the fact that this happens is a major part of The Problem.

For all intents and purposes I am against Capital Punishment. However I can definitely understand its (supposed) purpose and why people are in favor of it. So, if we have to tolerate the death penalty and we cite its function as a deterrent, then its use should be swift and consistently applied in order for it to function as the deterrent it purportedly is.

Currently its use is seemingly random and arbitrary. Which only causes confusion, overconfidence and frankly it serves as a deterrent against jack-squat.

If the application of Capital Punishment guaranteed that your homicidal ass would be feeding worms within one year of committing murder, then you can bet the farm that the murder rate would drop to something approaching 0.0 per year.

You'd still have crimes of passion, of course, as well as psychopaths and megalomaniacs who think they're smart enough to get away with The Perfect Crime, but for most thugs and small time jerkoffs, they'd certainly think twice before pulling that trigger, or swinging that machete.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
None whatsoever.

And IMO, the fact that this happens is a major part of The Problem.

For all intents and purposes I am against Capital Punishment. However I can definitely understand its (supposed) purpose and why people are in favor of it. So, if we have to tolerate the death penalty and we cite its function as a deterrent, then its use should be swift and consistently applied in order for it to function as the deterrent it purportedly is.

Currently its use is seemingly random and arbitrary. Which only causes confusion, overconfidence and frankly it serves as a deterrent against jack-squat.

If the application of Capital Punishment guaranteed that your homicidal ass would be feeding worms within one year of committing murder, then you can bet the farm that the murder rate would drop to something approaching 0.0 per year.

You'd still have crimes of passion, of course, as well as psychopaths and megalomaniacs who think they're smart enough to get away with The Perfect Crime, but for most thugs and small time jerkoffs, they'd certainly think twice before pulling that trigger, or swinging that machete.

Absolutely agree, Our Justice system is F'ed up. I'd be going crazy if that was my family, i would possibly do some stupid things.... RIP Moneta.

terbear1225

Not sure I agree with you on the death penalty as a deterrent. Dont get me wrong, I support the death penalty but I dont think in most cases it would be a deterrent. How many people do you really envision thinking "oh I better not murder this guy, I might get sent to the chair?"

Toxick

Splat
Not sure I agree with you on the death penalty as a deterrent.

That's it's supposed purpose, is it not? To punish murderers and serve as a warning to others?

I hear that bull#### from supporters all the time.

How many people do you really envision thinking "oh I better not murder this guy, I might get sent to the chair?"

That's the thing. With an effective deterrent in place, one doesn't have to consciously think that - or anything. If the very real specter of your own demise is looming over your shoulder, your actions become very deliberate.

And IMO, if it serves only as a punishment, then it serves no purpose other than to drag the everyone down to the barbaric level of the murderer himself.

abcxyz

Not sure I agree with you on the death penalty as a deterrent. Dont get me wrong, I support the death penalty but I dont think in most cases it would be a deterrent. How many people do you really envision thinking "oh I better not murder this guy, I might get sent to the chair?"

Even just one would be worth it. Now they know the worst that can happen is life in the slammer.

edinsomd

It would certainly deter that criminal from killing again. Or anything else, for that matter.

And I'm good with that.