Arrest Made in the Murder of Moneta Jo Strickland

glhs837

Power with Control
How long ago was that? I think the ex-wife made accusations about him and his kids, but I don't know that those went anywhere.

Midnightrider

Since it was a white man that killed her, it may not be safe for a white person to attend. JMHO.

I wasn't suggesting that she didn't have white friends. I'm suggesting that there could be people there who may not view the world as she does. This looks like an open invite, so you have no way of controlling who will show up.

I'm probably wrong, but since I don't know her personally, that's not a risk I'm willing to take. I do hope for a peaceful memorial service for her, though. It would really suck if someone tried to turn it into a race thing. I've even wondered 'how long before Jesse and Al show up'.
you just did

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Why was he not under supervision?

Custody/Supervision Information
Not currently under supervision

I didn't read the details of every case but it appears he's been a known sex offender for many years - and he seems to have other issues with the law as well. I bet you this was not his first murder ....... this jerk should have been behind bars and stayed there a long time ago for the sexual abuse of the child!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
He was back in 2000/2001 after he was released from jail for those charges but in 2002 he was violated, returned to the court and ended up getting his backup time... most likely because he wasn’t complaint with the terms and conditions of his supervision… so he served his mere 18 months or whatever he had left to serve at the time and didn’t have to report to no pesky supervision officer afterwards. (it is all in the Judiciary Case Search notes)

In recent years, they have come up with life time supervision for sex offenders not that this will do a thing in the prevention of recidivism, IMO, but the democrats like it because it keeps criminals from being locked up which results in saving money that can be spent on the endless entitlement programs to ensure their future reelection. I'm really surprised homicide isn't a citation these days when you look at the big picture of how liberal Maryland has become. :ohwell: Yes... I'm a bit bitter because the last major crimes in the Tri-County area have been committed by those not punished properly (IMO) for prior crimes. I've said for a very long time that if we had public hangings at the court house, this crap would stop.

I get sick of seeing people who violate children being given light sentences or even mere probation. Sexually violating a child can cause permanent damage to the child for LIFE, not to mention it allows that person to go on abusing others because the system tends to treat it like a misdemeanor unless it's a high profile case.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I get sick of seeing people who violate children being given light sentences or even mere probation. Sexually violating a child can cause permanent damage to the child for LIFE, not to mention it allows that person to go on abusing others because the system tends to treat it like a misdemeanor unless it's a high profile case.

The problem the state, the prosecutor and police, have to deal with is the victim and putting them through the trauma of a trial. Particularly in cases that involve minors this is the reason for plea deals. It's not that people want a light sentence, it's just the way it is. FWIW simple incarceraton isn't doing any good either, they will eventually get out. They'll get out with the same sickness, only with a much more bitter attitude.

We closed the places these offenders should be going.

glhs837

Power with Control
The problem the state, the prosecutor and police, have to deal with is the victim and putting them through the trauma of a trial. Particularly in cases that involve minors this is the reason for plea deals. It's not that people want a light sentence, it's just the way it is. FWIW simple incarceraton isn't doing any good either, they will eventually get out. They'll get out with the same sickness, only with a much more bitter attitude.

We closed the places these offenders should be going.

Cofffins?

glhs837

Power with Control
:howdy: not exactly what I was thinking

More along the line of mental hospital

Besides, by the time the death penalty can be executed (pun intended) the convict is likely to have died of old age.

Cant be done here in MD, but that's not accounting for the "GLHS837 System". Sort of like Texas's "FastTrack", for some heinous crimes with incontrovertible proof, it's a two week process. We have good DNA, video or a solid confession, dont pass go, no appeals required nor desired from book'em, to plant'em in under 14 days.

Cant find the drugs? Use lead. One shot to the head, volunteer shooters accepted. Gun locked into a pre-aimed frame, to avoid that messy "Whoops, I didn't mean to send my first three shots into his testicles and knees" that is oh so tempting. Point being to remove the proven non-human from the planet as soon as possible to minimize the resources he consumes simply be breathing.

Another option I sort of like is to send'em to Florida where they can await the next artficial reef project. then chain them to the rails and attract the new fish faster. Required viewing for first time lower level offenders.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Sharia law would be the perfect sollution, why worry about a trial and jail - just have the deth squad cut off the head of the accused

It has several benefits.
1. court dockets are short
2. repeat offenders just don't exist
3. no overcroded jails.
4. no added cost to the state, i.e. the taxpayer.

There is the occaisonaly "mistake", but hell, if you weren't in the wrong place at the worng time it wouldn't happen....
:bigwhoop:

glhs837

Power with Control
Sharia law would be the perfect sollution, why worry about a trial and jail - just have the deth squad cut off the head of the accused

It has several benefits.
1. court dockets are short
2. repeat offenders just don't exist
3. no overcroded jails.
4. no added cost to the state, i.e. the taxpayer.

There is the occaisonaly "mistake", but hell, if you weren't in the wrong place at the worng time it wouldn't happen....
:bigwhoop:

Who said anything about Sharia law? I just see no point in a decades long process to put to death obvious animals who will never be human, nor act it. When you have the above listed things, why spent 30 years wending your way through endless required appeals? If you don't, take your time. But if you have a solid lock, just get it done. Boston bombers, after you wring them dry, put them down.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Who said anything about Sharia law? I just see no point in a decades long process to put to death obvious animals who will never be human, nor act it. When you have the above listed things, why spent 30 years wending your way through endless required appeals? If you don't, take your time. But if you have a solid lock, just get it done. Boston bombers, after you wring them dry, put them down.

Unfortunately our legal system (emphasis on it being a legal system, not justice) provides for due process for he accused. When it comes to the ultimate penalty, the one where we can't say, "oops sorry we screweed up", the processes is rather lengthy. The problem isn't the open and shut case, it's those cases that are not so clear. I was once told by a group of lawmen that most case were decided on circumstatial evidence, that the hard evidence of TV fame (CSI) just doesn't always exist.
These seemingly open and shut cases drive the public crazy because common sense says rules the day. The problem is, the open and shut cases are probably the minority and therefore the "system" is what it is. Frustrating for us laymen.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
so it was a random killing? not someone she knew? i saw he was charged with robbery so i'm wondering if it was just whoever was next to walk by him or something. :yikes:

Three Notch Trail...that's in Texas right? :coffee:

I'd prefer a state that fries people

John Wharton reported about the bail review earlier today... :ohwell:

A St. Mary’s man charged in the beating death of a nurse last week told police that he passed out during a confrontation with the woman, court papers state, and that he later discovered she was dead, stole her cell phone and disposed of a blood-stained rock.

St. Mary’s murder suspect tells police he threw away bloody rock -- SoMdNews.com

I was talking to somebody today that is a Crime Scene Investigator in another area and repeated what the article said and the response was strange….. like they already read the article so I asked if he did... he hadn't and said that this response/excuse isn't uncommon…. Either the accused denies any involvement or claims to have blacked out and cannot remember.

glhs837

Power with Control
Unfortunately our legal system (emphasis on it being a legal system, not justice) provides for due process for he accused. When it comes to the ultimate penalty, the one where we can't say, "oops sorry we screweed up", the processes is rather lengthy. The problem isn't the open and shut case, it's those cases that are not so clear. I was once told by a group of lawmen that most case were decided on circumstatial evidence, that the hard evidence of TV fame (CSI) just doesn't always exist.
These seemingly open and shut cases drive the public crazy because common sense says rules the day. The problem is, the open and shut cases are probably the minority and therefore the "system" is what it is. Frustrating for us laymen.

But those are the cases I'm talking about. I already said that in cases where there is the slightest doubt, take that time. But if there isnt, just get it done. This guy here is setting up some BS insanity defense. Blacked out my ass. Why was he on the trail? Getting his fitness? Really?

BernieP

Resident PIA
But those are the cases I'm talking about. I already said that in cases where there is the slightest doubt, take that time. But if there isnt, just get it done. This guy here is setting up some BS insanity defense. Blacked out my ass. Why was he on the trail? Getting his fitness? Really?

Who decides?
Stop watching detective shows on TV. I believe an "insanity" defense is rare and a successful insanity defense even more so.
You are right about one thing, if there was a death sentence, and the evidence was as strong as it appears, his lawyer would do a plea in a heartbeat to get life.