<ARRRGGG>

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'm about to go INSANE.....these d@mn chickens....Rottncop wants them to be "FREE" and I want them to stay the he!! outta my brand new landscaping!!! :frown: i've enclosed some of the areas in chicken wire (lovely affect - NOT)....and they reach THROUGH the wire just to scratch around in the mulch...i set out the sprinkler and they go right to the edge of the water....I'm ready to fry them all and wonder what happened to them when Rottncop asks, but he'd just order MORE...TOO EASY I say....

What to DO???? Is there anything that will deter them from getting into the beds?? We have 25+ glorious acres for them to choose and they STILL choose the acre my house and flower beds sit on..... :burning:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I had chickens growing up. They should be in a coop in my opinion. Unless your actually oing to eat them, there's no reason to keep them free range, and even then I have noticed too much of a difference. A coop makes it easier to pick up eggs anyways.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
virgovictoria said:
What is the significance of having chickens? Out of curiosity?

:shrug: ya got me...he likes the biggest, weirdest ones he can find. White faced blacks, Jersey giants, Arcana's (they lay different colored eggs and are by far the prettiest hens we have) We're getting about 2 dozen eggs a day now :shocking: The lil' one goes around with her wagon and sells them each week to the neighbors (one neighbor bakes cakes and buys 3 dozen a week!)

Jack the Jack is trying his darndest to eliminate them for me :lol: but Rottncop's onto us, and he snatches him up every time he see's him doing it now....

Rottncop built this cool roosting thing out of logs, 'cause they were roosting in the tree over our big dog's kennel, (the dog got 3 black face giants in one day! how DUMB are they?) and they won't go near it :lol: so he had to chop off the branch going directly over top... I said YE-HA SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST (smartest)!! but that somehow didn't amuse him....:frown:

nawty1

Poker Shark
I just remember when I was a 6 yrs old and my dad used to make me go gather eggs out of the coop. Stupid birds used to peck the heck out of my legs, I would kick them (I was 6 remember) and they would keep coming back. My best memory?!? When dad decided that they were a pain in the arse and the we got to take the ones we had left (after the foxes kept getting in the coop and killing them) and we carried them up to the house by their feet and he whacked their heads off! I can remember laughing soooo hard cuz these headless chickens were running around. :sickchild: but they weren't gonna peck me anymore! Then we had to pluck them all...that was no fun :( Is the grill fired up yet!!!!

K

Kizzy

I saw a t-shirt last weekend that said "sometimes raising kids is like being pecked to death by a bunch of chickens."

Happy, it is time to build a really strong pen for them, wire on the top too. That is what we had growing up. We let them out to run around, but of course they came back to the pen to eat. They all flock together so it is easy. When they come back to eat, shut the door.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Kizzy said:
I saw a t-shirt last weekend that said "sometimes raising kids is like being pecked to death by a bunch of chickens."

Happy, it is time to build a really strong pen for them, wire on the top too. That is what we had growing up. We let them out to run around, but of course they came back to the pen to eat. They all flock together so it is easy. When they come back to eat, shut the door.
They ARE quite a fan club any time a person comes outside...you have this flock of chickens eyeballing ya....and Heaven HELP ya if ya try to eat on the picnic table without feeding them FIRST.
Another giant white faced hen bit the dust, even after all the branches over the dog kennel have been lopped off...geesh are they STUPID or what??? :ohwell:
I tried rationalizing with rottncop, about the coop thing....and thus far...it hasn't worked, he keeps reminding me we got them to scatter the horse=doo-doo and keep the flym flea and tick population down...which i guess they have....<ARRRG>

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Unfortunately, my great grandmother is no longer around, but she could have shown you a thing or two about your "chicken problem"
:thwackgoestheax:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Chasey_Lane said:
They keep bugs out of stables. Oh, and you get green eggs, too! :yay:
Actually the Americana's are the prettiest chickens we have. They're the ones that lay pretty green eggs. The first bunch, which were all Rhode Island Reds, NEVER roost anywhere but on the ground or in their coop, but the new pullets (none are Reds they're all unusual breeds) ALL roost as high as they can get :lol: Weirdos. Particularly weird if you walk under the tree they've chosen and startle them. :shocking: Watch out!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
'Nother one bites the dust...

Rottencop went over the edge and hacked out the rest of the tree :lol: but I personally think they're getting onto the top of the kennel not the tree. Dumb birds. It's only the one kind too. The big black ones with the white faces. :duh:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
happyappygirl said:
'Nother one bites the dust...

Rottencop went over the edge and hacked out the rest of the tree :lol: but I personally think they're getting onto the top of the kennel not the tree. Dumb birds. It's only the one kind too. The big black ones with the white faces. :duh:
Maybe the dogs are flying out of the kennel and bringing the chickens back in? :lol: