Asbury-Solomons

candel

Hi, I'm thinking of moving into Asbury-Solomons community. It seems like a really nice area....small town, but close to all shopping just over the bridge. Does anyone have any comments about Asbury....like it, hate it? Do you know of anyone who lives there who can give some input?

Thanks, for any information.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Hi, I'm thinking of moving into Asbury-Solomons community. It seems like a really nice area....small town, but close to all shopping just over the bridge. Does anyone have any comments about Asbury....like it, hate it? Do you know of anyone who lives there who can give some input?

Asbury-Solomons has an excellent reputation. Most say you have to have money to be able to afford living there.
I have met many people that work there and employees seem to like their jobs.
I have met many people that live there and have never heard anything but positive about the place and what it offers.
I have delivered dog food to a customer in an apartment and was impressed with the cleanliness overall and the friendliness of everyone I encountered.
One of my stores is in the shopping plaza across the road and I am thrilled they have apartments and cottages for people with pets. There is one lady I have known for several years that has declined a lot physically and mentally, but she perks right up when she talks about her dog.
They have security officers there and it is considered a safe place to live. Probably the biggest safety issue I know of is a group of feral youth skateboarders that sometimes hang out there.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They have security officers there and it is considered a safe place to live. Probably the biggest safety issue I know of is a group of feral youth skateboarders that sometimes hang out there.

I thought the skateboarder problem was at Solomons Landing.

candel

Thanks for your quick reply. What a great commentary you gave....really helpful! It's nice to hear from people first-hand, rather than just rely on "sales pitch". :)

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Save your money and move into the condos on the other side of the highway, or check out Solomons Nursing Home to see if you like the conditions there. That wi be where you end up after they bleed you dry of all your money...

frequentflier

happy to be living
Solomons Landing is where the feral skaters met there match.

It has not stopped them one bit. In fact, a few weeks ago, a resident and neighbor of the "shooter" reported to the police that the skateboarders were back on the property pointing up to Mr. Armiger's window.

Save your money and move into the condos on the other side of the highway, or check out Solomons Nursing Home to see if you like the conditions there. That wi be where you end up after they bleed you dry of all your money...

Actually, they don't drain you of your money. For what you get, living at Asbury is quite affordable, and seniors who live there seem to really enjoy and appreciate all that's available. I'd only hope that I'd be able to live in such a community when I retire - the peace of mind and companionship of other seniors would be what I'd want when I reach that age, not to mention travel, on-site dining, a pool and full service wellness center, 24/7 security, skilled nursing (should it be needed), home care services, daily worship, and the list goes on and on. I work my entire life - I am surely going to live somewhere to enjoy the money I've earned and saved.

And, itsbob, should an Asbury resident run out of money, they do not end up anywhere but their Asbury home. Asbury is a nonprofit community, and is served by a benevolent care fund - should a resident run out of money, their foundation steps in and pays for the resident to stay at Asbury (unless of course they intentionally give away or spend all their money, but in their 15 year history, that's never happened). So it would be counterproductive on their part to "drain" people when they've agreed to care for them should the need arise.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Actually, they don't drain you of your money. For what you get, living at Asbury is quite affordable, and seniors who live there seem to really enjoy and appreciate all that's available. I'd only hope that I'd be able to live in such a community when I retire - the peace of mind and companionship of other seniors would be what I'd want when I reach that age, not to mention travel, on-site dining, a pool and full service wellness center, 24/7 security, skilled nursing (should it be needed), home care services, daily worship, and the list goes on and on. I work my entire life - I am surely going to live somewhere to enjoy the money I've earned and saved.

And, itsbob, should an Asbury resident run out of money, they do not end up anywhere but their Asbury home. Asbury is a nonprofit community, and is served by a benevolent care fund - should a resident run out of money, their foundation steps in and pays for the resident to stay at Asbury (unless of course they intentionally give away or spend all their money, but in their 15 year history, that's never happened). So it would be counterproductive on their part to "drain" people when they've agreed to care for them should the need arise.

Maybe you should take a ride over to Solomons Nursing Home and ask about how many prior Asbury Residents now reside there.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I'd be curious as to what the TOTAL cost (not just the cost of the "house") is to move onto Asbury Property.

I honestly don't know, but I've heard that moving in is VERY expensive, not to include the purchase of the home.

And non-profit is a well over-used term.. Asbury is there to make money. If they didn't make any money it wouldn't be there. They can hide that fact behing the non-profit ruse.. just like so many other "non-profits".

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Oh, and if you are looking for a nice adult friendly complex//

When you turn at the light to enter Asbury, take your immediate right turn. There is a nice, small, cozy adult only (over 55) housing area back there. The houses are kind of tight (as in not much room between them) but there are very nice looking.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Actually, they don't drain you of your money.

Is that the "Benevolent Fund"? Where you sign away all of your assets in case you run out of money down the road?

Roman

Oh, and if you are looking for a nice adult friendly complex//

When you turn at the light to enter Asbury, take your immediate right turn. There is a nice, small, cozy adult only (over 55) housing area back there. The houses are kind of tight (as in not much room between them) but there are very nice looking.
The funny thing is, that there is a Day Care Facility smack-dab in the middle of the area you are talking about. All jokes aside, I've asked many Patients who live in Asbury, how they like it there. Since it's been open, (15+ years?), I've never heard one bad thing about it from ANY of them. They all just love it there.

Is that the "Benevolent Fund"? Where you sign away all of your assets in case you run out of money down the road?

No, not at all. For profit CCRCs often require you to pledge your assets at entry, but not nonprofit CCRCs (or at least not Asbury).

Kind of a dead point on this forum as I think there may be some folks tied to the for profit side of senior care and/or some 55+ developments in the Solomons area. So you'll have the Asbury-bashers and the Asbury-fans. And that's fine. I think Asbury is a great place, it is full of wonderful residents including retired teachers, military, nurses, etc., and it's a place that seniors deserve! I get frustrated by the people who are more worried about their inheritance than their parents right to live a good life past the age of 60. I told both of my parents that I hope the last check they ever write bounces - I hope they spend it all for they deserve it! If they choose to spend it at Asbury, if they are faced with misfortune and have to spend it on skilled nursing due to a health condition, if they stay in their home and have to spend it on maintenance, or if they go to Vegas and feed it all to a slot machine, it is theirs, not mine.