Back in the Day

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
.....these guys had groupies.

1115230928~2.jpg

Please don't call for dates and rates, they are all gone.

GregV814

A long forgotten venue, (except me and Grump), Crossroads in Bladensburg was one of the stages for Roy Clark and many other Country/Rockabilly future stars.

One night this purty as a peach old pink Cadillac pulled up and it was none other than....Jim Lindsay and Bobby Fleet and his band with a beat!

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
A long forgotten venue, (except me and Grump), Crossroads in Bladensburg was one of the stages for Roy Clark and many other Country/Rockabilly future stars.

One night this purty as a peach old pink Cadillac pulled up and it was none other than....Jim Lindsay and Bobby Fleet and his band with a beat!
Been to Crossroads a few times in the early 80s but no prime bands or performers.

There was also a place on US-1, well north of the beltway, that gathered some names but can't remember what it was called.

Grumpy

Been to Crossroads a few times in the early 80s but no prime bands or performers.

There was also a place on US-1, well north of the beltway, that gathered some names but can't remember what it was called.
California Inn?

GregV814

Dawn Rose Dipper, Phils Bar and Grille, Remingtons, Straw Boss....BUT, Ritchie Coliseum, by the OMD North Gate was home to famous passer bys... One night Chuck Berry popped in, unannounced and a shock to ALL...He asked for 5K cash and used the group on satge to back him....Then one nigh the Pretenders popped in...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Varsity Grill, maybe? I saw Black Oak Arkansas there...and some others I can't recall. That was in the late 70s.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dawn Rose Dipper, Phils Bar and Grille, Remingtons, Straw Boss....BUT, Ritchie Coliseum, by the OMD North Gate was home to famous passer bys... One night Chuck Berry popped in, unannounced and a shock to ALL...He asked for 5K cash and used the group on satge to back him....Then one nigh the Pretenders popped in...
Drove up from SOMD and picked up a friend at DCA one evening..he had a long layover and called me to see if I was up for a visit. He was quite the audiophile..and a personal friend of Harry Chapin's. Took him to the Bayou, explaining on the way that they always had big name bands playing there. Well..that night they didn't. Just to embarass me, I figured. Some no-name band was playing instead..had never heard of 'em. But damned if they weren't incredibly good! Dire Straits...or something like that.

Grumpy

Drove up from SOMD and picked up a friend at DCA one evening..he had a long layover and called me to see if I was up for a visit. He was quite the audiophile..and a personal friend of Harry Chapin's. Took him to the Bayou, explaining on the way that they always had big name bands playing there. Well..that night they didn't. Just to embarass me, I figured. Some no-name band was playing instead..had never heard of 'em. But damned if they weren't incredibly good! Dire Straits...or something like that.
Bayou was always good, saw Springsteen there a couple years before he hit the big time.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Older guys in my NJ neighborhood had Billy Joel as their prom entertainer. He gave out business cards for future gigs and people like to show them around. He hit big right after doing that prom show.

Even before that, Joe Pesci was playing in a band that performed in the local high school. The same school that Connie Francis attended.

A 14 year old Joe Pesci
pesci.jpg

They all have to start somewhere.

jrt_ms1995

Older guys in my NJ neighborhood had Billy Joel as their prom entertainer. He gave out business cards for future gigs and people like to show them around. He hit big right after doing that prom show.

Even before that, Joe Pesci was playing in a band that performed in the local high school. The same school that Connie Francis attended.

A 14 year old Joe Pesci
View attachment 173697

They all have to start somewhere.
Just a yute!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga

A guy I know said his parents used to go to places all around the DC area to hear music back in those days. Lots of the performers became big stars later in years :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
.....these guys had groupies.

View attachment 173696
Please don't call for dates and rates, they are all gone.
I'm STILL looking for a long lost photo of my dad when he was a young Navy guy moonlighting at WPTX and did a Saturday Teen show in the early -mid 60's. The picture is of him (dresses pretty much like Dick Clark from that era!) with a group of teenager girls in front of the WPTX window. The DJ booth was in that window! I check the St Mary's LP City and County FB pages once in awhile, to no avail.

I fear it got lost when my mom's stuff got transferred from my sister to my brother. He hasn't found it, either. 😑