Back in the Day

Grumpy

A guy I know said his parents used to go to places all around the DC area to hear music back in those days. Lots of the performers became big stars later in years :yay:
There were a ton of bars that had country stars back in the 40s/50s in DC. Patsy Cline, Jimmy Dean, Roy Clarke all pretty much got their big breaks in DC. I may have told this story before, my uncle hung in DC back in the day and was good friends with Jimmy Dean. In the mid 60s, my uncle visited us from Texas and somehow got in touch with Jimmy Dean and met him in DC on a weeknight. Well, as usual, my uncle had a bit too much to drink and Jimmy Dean had to drive him back to our house at 130am in the morning. My uncle somehow convinced him to come into the house so the family(parents and 9 kids) could meet him. I remember my uncle shaking me awake and telling me to come meet Jimmy Dean..I don't think I've ever seen a man as embarrassed as Jimmy was in my life...:lol: Needless to say, after that, my father told his brother to get his azz back to Texas.

GregV814

my sisters are in their mid 70's...they still remember going to the Pick Temple show, a kids cartoon show on wttg channel 5... and sitting in the "peanut gallery"...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
joe was one of the 4 seasons with Frankie Valie...(sp)...did you know.... Vic Damone was asked to be in the Godfaddah but declined because he didnt want to be associated with a stereotypical Italian Mafia...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There were a ton of bars that had country stars back in the 40s/50s in DC. Patsy Cline, Jimmy Dean, Roy Clarke all pretty much got their big breaks in DC. I may have told this story before, my uncle hung in DC back in the day and was good friends with Jimmy Dean. In the mid 60s, my uncle visited us from Texas and somehow got in touch with Jimmy Dean and met him in DC on a weeknight. Well, as usual, my uncle had a bit too much to drink and Jimmy Dean had to drive him back to our house at 130am in the morning. My uncle somehow convinced him to come into the house so the family(parents and 9 kids) could meet him. I remember my uncle shaking me awake and telling me to come meet Jimmy Dean..I don't think I've ever seen a man as embarrassed as Jimmy was in my life...:lol: Needless to say, after that, my father told his brother to get his azz back to Texas.
Friend of mine's Dad from southern VA was a hunting buddy of Roy Clark's. Roy being from Meherrin VA and all. He recalls the time he was old enough to go hunting with his Dad and Roy and friends..and walked in to the kitchen of their little hunting cabin one morning to find Roy at the stove in his long johns, fryin' up a big batch of bacon.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
my sisters are in their mid 70's...they still remember going to the Pick Temple show, a kids cartoon show on wttg channel 5... and sitting in the "peanut gallery"...
In the Springfield, MA area we had The Admiral and Swabby on Channel 40, WHYN.
My sibs and I were in the Peanut Gallery a few times.
Hartford, CT had Ranger Andy on Channel 3, WTIC.
Watched both via the rabbit ears antenna.

mitzi

I remember watching Pick Temple. Mailed my name in to the show but was never selected. I have a cousin who was.