backyard shooting range

littlelady

God bless the USA
When we lived in Calvert, our next door neighbor had a mini farm. Wonderful people. Home schooled, 4-H, deeply religious, and very awesome. They had a shooting range in their back yard. They were so sweet to call us every time they were getting ready to shoot because our beloved dog, Cookie, would freak and poop and pee (she was a rescue and abused and hated loud noises). :lol: Hub and I would go over and shoot with them sometimes. And, the same said above, the cops were called every so often, and the cops would try out the weapons before they left. Good times. Miss it.

Also, we lived on Long's Cove and the run off was in back of the house (feeds into Cypress Swamp), so there was no way anyone would be injured. The average lot on my street was 4 acres. We were on 5. It was like shooting into the woods.

Last edited:

DannyMotorcycle

You would not have liked to live near me...
I lived next to Dotsonville for better than 10 years, we shot there 3 to 4 times a month.
Only had two visits from the law in that time, both times the Deputys and Trooper took a few autos for a spin before they left.
There is a reason to live outside of the City Limits, being able to shoot on your own property is one of them.

lol that's awesome.

For those who have jumpy neighbors, has anyone thought to notify the local law enforcement before target shooting? "hey just wanted to give you guys a heads up we're going to doing some target shooting, so if you get any calls, you already know it's a planned / safe informal event and you can take your time coming out" ?

black dog

Free America
lol that's awesome.

For those who have jumpy neighbors, has anyone thought to notify the local law enforcement before target shooting? "hey just wanted to give you guys a heads up we're going to doing some target shooting, so if you get any calls, you already know it's a planned / safe informal event and you can take your time coming out" ?

Sure, what not call ahead.. but I believe that if you have that NIMBY neighbor, the law is going to show up everytime they call.
All of my old neighbors but one are awesome ( mind there own Business ) neighbors.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I ain't from around here, but if my neighbors want to shoot in a safe, informal manner on their own land...have at it.

officeguy

St. Mary's.
So, 150yds for hunting...do you think that means a lesser or greater distance for targets?

No defined standoff for target shooting. In St Mary's you could be on a quarter acre and shoot a .50 BMG into a backstop and it would be legal. Now llegal is not always smart. I am on 5 acres and I have a ravine that makes for a safe 50yd range. I still text my neighbors before I shoot and limit it to pistol and .22 My relationship to the neighbors is great and I want to keep it that way.
The key is going to be your backstop. You want to have sand or dirt without any gravel and it has to be a near vertical wall. What you want to avoid are richochets that go ever which way.

paxnewbie

Thanks, but I would not have gone with strictly the opinion of forumites. I was hoping someone would be able to cite an ordinance or something, and a great link to the sheriff's office was posted. I do intend to call, but I like your suggestion that I get it in writing!

paxnewbie

I appreciate all of the suggestions here, from calling the police before we start shooting, to letting the neighbors know when we are about to start. I don't want to be one of those nasty people that does whatever the hell I please, but I also want to stand my ground and not allow NIMBY's (or people who just want to be difficult) to dictate what I can and cannot do. We've got neighbors with loose dogs, neighbors with trash all over the place and neighbors with such a crap ton of traffic going in and out that I don't let my kids play in the street (on what is otherwise a very quiet place where they should be able to). Instead of complaining about this stuff, we've just altered our routines and behaviors. But I've pretty much had it now. Thanks, all!

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes, but MoCo and NoVa weekenders........no brains.
Went to court two years ago...St. Marys....a retired MoCo judge said "I know how you good old boys behave down here...you just have to learn that people not from here do not understand and you need to be accommodating"

I appreciate all of the suggestions here, from calling the police before we start shooting, to letting the neighbors know when we are about to start. I don't want to be one of those nasty people that does whatever the hell I please, but I also want to stand my ground and not allow NIMBY's (or people who just want to be difficult) to dictate what I can and cannot do. We've got neighbors with loose dogs, neighbors with trash all over the place and neighbors with such a crap ton of traffic going in and out that I don't let my kids play in the street (on what is otherwise a very quiet place where they should be able to). Instead of complaining about this stuff, we've just altered our routines and behaviors. But I've pretty much had it now. Thanks, all!

Let us know how it turns out.

limblips

PREMO Member
Which responses were inaccurate or incorrect?

All were opinion so right or wrong does not apply. The OP was asking about the legal requirements that might need to be met. Our setup is on 258 acres with a 14 foot built up berm. We range out to 250 yards for our mulie and antelope trips.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All were opinion so right or wrong does not apply. .

Interesting outlook.

One I don't share.... And you didn't point to any legal requirements either.

My 100-yard range is on a 40-acre island, backed by a 12' tall earth berm and a fairly large swamp area behind that. But that's just because that's what we decided to build. I can go shoot on a friend's farm here in the county too...for the longer stuff. He's got a 500' range that he built for "tuning" his rifle before his annual hunting trip out west.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
All were opinion so right or wrong does not apply. The OP was asking about the legal requirements that might need to be met. Our setup is on 258 acres with a 14 foot built up berm. We range out to 250 yards for our mulie and antelope trips.

My farm is 650 acres, we can shoot out to 900 now...My backstop is a valley.
But I'm slumming compared to my neighbors...
And I always thought laws were what you can't do, not what you can..

limblips

PREMO Member
Interesting outlook.

One I don't share.... And you didn't point to any legal requirements either.

I am not qualified to provide legal information so I said (in my original reply) to contact the local sheriffs office for LEGAL guidance. I doubt the "But Gilligan does it and said it was okay" defense will hold up in court should a liability or violation issue come up.

Also, as for opinions, if mine is not in line with yours than it cannot be right to you, and yours is wrong to me, simple logic.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Also, as for opinions, if mine is not in line with yours than it cannot be right to you, and yours is wrong to me, simple logic.

Still don't follow. You've implied that responses in this thread were inaccurate but have still failed to point out which of them are.

Oh..and good luck getting a "legal/proper use" determination from any LEO in writing. LOL

limblips

PREMO Member
Still don't follow. You've implied that responses in this thread were inaccurate but have still failed to point out which of them are.

Oh..and good luck getting a "legal/proper use" determination from any LEO in writing. LOL

Opinion:
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I did not say any were inaccurate, I said "right or wrong does not apply".

And your comment regarding LEOs is also an opinion. See definition above.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Opinion:
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I did not say any were inaccurate, I said "right or wrong does not apply".

And your comment regarding LEOs is also an opinion. See definition above.

You are resorting to your own stilted interpretation to avoid the truth. What answers have been provided that are inaccurate? Inaccurate = incorrect = wrong.

Why do Some opinions represent the last word and even carry legal weight? Where is that definition, hmmm?

Show me a proper/legal property use letter provided by local LEO. I'll wait.

And btw, I didn't post any opinions. Only facts. So there.

Last edited: