backyard shooting range

limblips

PREMO Member
You are resorting to your own stilted interpretation to avoid the truth. What answers have been provided that are inaccurate? Inaccurate = incorrect = wrong. Where did I say anyone was "inaccurate"?

Why do Some opinions represent the last word and even carry legal weight? Where is that definition, hmmm? I did not include the definition of a court opinion because none of the opinions offered carry any legal weight or consideration. I wrongly assumed you would know the difference and for that I apologize.

Show me a proper/legal property use letter provided by local LEO. I'll wait. WTH is that statement supposed to mean? Where did I claim to have one? And if I do it certainly isn't with me right now. I do however have serno verification on a few firearms I have purchased from private owners. You know, all that legal stuff we should do when dealing with guns and shooting.

And btw, I didn't post any opinions. Only facts. So there. Your statement implying a person cannot get written verification of a law or ordinance from LEOs is was completely opinion. Please explain your personal experience that led to this opinion.[/QUOTE]

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Youtr statement implying a person cannot get written verification of a law or ordinance from LEOs is was completely opinion. Please explain your personal experience that led to this opinion.

LMAO. Trying to sneak out from under your failed argument, I see.

You are not every going to obtain a "sure, shoot in your yard all you want to. It's OK" letter from any LEO. Period. :lmao:

Even my fancy official DNR "Offshore Blind and Shoreline License" says absolutely nothing about what I can shoot at, what I can shoot with, when I can shoot, how I can shoot...

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member
LMAO. Trying to sneak out from under your failed argument, I see.
Why not be easy on yourself and answer the question? I asked for your personal experience that would uphold your opinion. Can't answer

You are not every going to obtain a "sure, shoot in your yard all you want to. It's OK" letter from any LEO. Period. :lmao: [COLOR="#FF0000"]So, you don't believe I could go to the CCSO and get a response quoting title and code of a law?

Even my fancy official DNR "Offshore Blind and Shoreline License" says absolutely nothing about what I can shoot at, what I can shoot with, when I can shoot, how I can shoot...

WTF does that have to do with the OPs questions unless your duck blind is in your backyard on your property. And yes, the license does not say what you can shoot, but the migratory waterfowl laws are very clear about shooting times, what type gun must be used, and a host of other rules. Perhaps your blind may be different and the laws cease to exist there.

For reference the OPs post try reading it for comprehension this time.

"Does anyone know of the laws re: target shooting in one's own backyard? Is there a minimum distance from the next house? Minimum acreage? We mostly shoot a 9mm at empty bottles and a target."

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
WTF does that have to do with the OPs questions unless your duck blind is in your backyard on your property. And yes, the license does not say what you can shoot, but the migratory waterfowl laws are very clear about shooting times, what type gun must be used, and a host of other rules. Perhaps your blind may be different and the laws cease to exist there.

For reference the OPs post try reading it for comprehension this time.

"Does anyone know of the laws re: target shooting in one's own backyard? Is there a minimum distance from the next house? Minimum acreage? We mostly shoot a 9mm at empty bottles and a target."

Friday, August 21, 2015
Sheriff's Office Response to Target Shooting Inquiries
Recently, the Sheriff's Office has received inquiries from citizens regarding recreational target shooting with firearms on private property in residential neighborhoods.

On August 10th, Captain Edward Willenborg, Commander of the Criminal Investigations Division, met with State's Attorney Richard Fritz and Assistant State's Attorney Daniel White to discuss the issue and obtain a legal opinion. SA Fritz advised there is no specific criminal statute, (state or local), preventing a citizen from conducting recreational target shooting with a firearm on his/her property. However, State's Attorney Fritz provided a civil statute 5-403.1 Private nuisance actions against sport shooting ranges found in the Annotated Code of Maryland that applies to Sport Shooting Ranges. It was the opinion of SA Fritz and ASA White that this statute could be used by a neighborhood to file a civil nuisance action against a property owner.

The Sheriff's Office would remind anyone participating in recreational or competition target shooting or hunting with a firearm to do so safely. Safety is the responsibility of everyone. ALWAYS follow the cardinal rules for safe gun handling:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
4. KNOW your target and what is behind it.

The consequences for the negligent handling of firearms can be severe. Potential CRIMINAL charges could range from misdemeanor Property Destruction and Reckless Endangerment to felony Assault and Homicide. Although there is no statute governing recreational target shooting on private property in a residential neighborhood, the consequences for doing so negligently are very real.

edinsomd

If only there was a Sportsman's Club nearby, one with fishing ponds, pistol, rifle, and archery ranges.

black dog

Free America
Perhaps your blind may be different and the laws cease to exist there.
""

His blind on land is covered by County law, the blind in the water is regulated by Maritime Law, it's covered in the last chapter in Chapman's Maritime Law Book.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, but as mentioned it can come under the nuisance statutes.

If you read up on those, it's a pretty high bar to win a suit with one. The courts have proven to be generally very reluctant to pass adverse judgements on what they generally conclude are usually petty squabbles between neighbors that can't along. Quite different than being able to have an officer roll up and simply write something up that has any legal teeth to it. Which is exactly why every visit I've ever had resulted in a short friendly chat, sometimes almost an "Well ya know..someone called..I had no choice int the assignment apology" and, on occasion, the officer/deputy sticking around to enjoy the (wide) variety of firearms on display at the time. ;-)

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
You dont have to win a suit to have it be effective as a deterrent.

Very seldom does noise shut down anything. What shuts things down is things like bullets leaving the range or private property. Kinna like airports, it usually isn't the noise, it's a plane or parts off the plane landing outside of the airport.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You dont have to win a suit to have it be effective as a deterrent.

It costs to go there.

But that aside, the ONLY reason I've largely (emphasis on "largely"...not totally) stopped regular target and skeet shooting on my property is to avoid wasting the time of state, local and DNR officers that are called to respond. Their time is valuable and my property is "way the heck out there". I could, frankly, give less than a fawk about those making the calls, and when I've got something that needs test shooting after a night of gun smithing, it's gonna get shot. ;-)

limblips

PREMO Member
His blind on land is covered by County law, the blind in the water is regulated by Maritime Law, it's covered in the last chapter in Chapman's Maritime Law Book.

Apparently I should have included the sarcasm emoji....

A blind in the water, including riparian rights landowners are regulated by DNR (http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/Licenses/riparian.aspx) And the waterfowl he pursues are strictly regulated by the federal government, from when and where, to what he can shoot.

From MD DNR website: Offshore stationary blinds and blind sites must be at least 250 yards apart from each other. Stationary blinds and blind sites must be at least 150 yards from any dwelling, unless the licensee has the written permission of the owner of the house. Based on this I would say the state does have a lot to say about his "fancy" blind.

It seems from his statements he needs to brush up on the laws.

limblips

PREMO Member
Very good answer to the OP but it can't possibly be true because Gilligan says you can never get a LEO to reply to a question regarding law, especially when asked to provide the title and code in writing. And as everyone knows on the forums, Gilligan rules when it comes to opinions (at least since Larry left).