bad toilet clog

your done when the crap hits the fan

glhs837

Power with Control
I"m all stopped up waiting to hear the outcome......or is it outflow? In any case, we better get an update.....

PeoplesElbow

On a somewhat related note, a foreclosed house next to me was flipped a while back, the (dumbass) contractor flushed the left over tile grout down the toilet, the new owners had to have the plumbing dug up their second day in the house.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
It wouldn't clog the drain field. It's heavy enough that it would sink to the bottom of the tank and eventually get pumped out. Not to mention the distribution box.
Uh huh. Sure. Ok. Since you obviously know so much, just ignore the link below.

3 Reasons Why Septic Systems And Cat Litter Don't Mix
1. Cat Litter Clogs Septic Lines
2. Cat Litter Won't Break Down Inside Your Septic Tank
3. Cat Litter Can Ruin Your Leach Field

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Uh huh. Sure. Ok. Since you obviously know so much, just ignore the link below.

3 Reasons Why Septic Systems And Cat Litter Don't Mix
1. Cat Litter Clogs Septic Lines

• Cat Litter Won't Break Down Inside Your Septic Tank

• Cat Litter Can Ruin Your Leach Field

I know how septic tanks work. Solids settle, liquids are skimmed off and sent to a distribution box where, again, solids settle (albeit not as much room here) before going out to the drain field.

The OP said she dumped one box, and hasn't said they've been doing it for years.

The tank is fine, the drain field is fine. Snake the toilet drain and flush it well, OP, you'll be fine.

Perhaps LightRoasted here can explain why one box of kitty litter that their own link says sinks to the bottom of tanks, will somehow make it to the drain field when a standard 1500 gallon septic tank is almost 6' deep with baffles and dividers.

Goldenhawk

Y'all need to pay closer attention. The OP has TWICE stated it's a public water/sewer system, NOT A SEPTIC SYSTEM.

Or am I intruding on a perfectly good argument for the sake of an argument?

Y'all need to pay closer attention. The OP has TWICE stated it's a public water/sewer system, NOT A SEPTIC SYSTEM.

Or am I intruding on a perfectly good argument for the sake of an argument?
Well, not really. She has repeated that "It's not a well". Really don't know what they are connect to.
She hasn't posted back on success, so probably still struggling with it.

Goldenhawk

Well, not really. She has repeated that "It's not a well".
Fair enough. But if she posted "it's not a well" in response to two different questions about whether it's a septic system, I think it's entirely fair to assume it's not a septic system.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
I know how septic tanks work. Solids settle, liquids are skimmed off and sent to a distribution box where, again, solids settle (albeit not as much room here) before going out to the drain field.
Of course. You know exactly how kitty litter will react in such an environment. Leaving out all other possibilities it will just sit, undisturbed, forever, at the bottom of the tank, waiting to be sucked out by the honey truck man. Nothing in the kitty litter, the litter or the waste attached to it, will react with the contents of the tank bringing it to the surface, piece by piece, to flow into the drains fields. It's inert. Like it's not even there. Whew. I sure am glad you are here to inform. Without your absolutes, what would we do?

glhs837

Power with Control
Fair enough. But if she posted "it's not a well" in response to two different questions about whether it's a septic system, I think it's entirely fair to assume it's not a septic system.

Hmmm, the only thing I would think it's safe to assume there is that we are unsure of her knowledge of city water and sewer and wells and septic systems. She might assume that since they do not have a well, they also do not have a septic, which might be a bad assumption. Sure wish I could hook my 3 bedroom one bath rental house to sewer so I could add another bathroom. But it stops at the subdivision about 200 feet up the road.

and I'm on the edge of my elongated seat waiting to hear how this turned out.....

I think it is safe to assume any product that is specifically made to turn into a solid when it comes in contact with moisture should not be flushed down a toilet regardless of whether on septic or public sewer. Same with so called "flushable wipes". Doesn't matter... they are going to wreak havoc.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Of course. You know exactly how kitty litter will react in such an environment. Leaving out all other possibilities it will just sit, undisturbed, forever, at the bottom of the tank, waiting to be sucked out by the honey truck man. Nothing in the kitty litter, the litter or the waste attached to it, will react with the contents of the tank bringing it to the surface, piece by piece, to flow into the drains fields. It's inert. Like it's not even there. Whew. I sure am glad you are here to inform. Without your absolutes, what would we do?

"Such an environment"? It's a tank. Heavy stuff settles (i.e. kitty litter). Grease and fat floats.

The content of the tank is crap and piss and toilet paper (should be anyway). What do you think could react with kitty litter than would make it float, not to the surface mind you (the outlet has a tee to prevent floatables like grease and fat from entering the drain field) but to a few inches below the surface of the water, enter the outlet, to the distribution box, float in there, and then clog the 5/8" holes in the 100' or so of perforated pipe making up the drain field?

As you mentioned, kitty litter is inert, so bacteria won't break it down (but it will sit at the bottom of the tank waiting to be pumped out) and as someone else mentioned previously, kitty litter is made of clay and hardens.

If the OP had said they'v ebeen dumping kitty litter for a long time, I'd agree with you. But since it's one time, the septic is fine (assuming they're on septic).

nutz

The OP said she dumped one box, and hasn't said they've been doing it for years.

The tank is fine, the drain field is fine. Snake the toilet drain and flush it well, OP, you'll be fine.

Perhaps LightRoasted here can explain why one box of kitty litter that their own link says sinks to the bottom of tanks, will somehow make it to the drain field when a standard 1500 gallon septic tank is almost 6' deep with baffles and dividers.
There are too many inaccurate points here. Liquids float off, nothing is skimmed. Not all systems have a distribution box, Settling does not occur at the distribution box, if it does something is wrong. If solids make it to the d-box, you have problems. A 1000 gallon would be more standard than 1500. Depth of tank is dependent upon proper slope of total system ( unless its a pressure system) some are 3” below grade, some are really deep and need risers added to gain access. In this case, baffles and dividers would be the same .

nutz

and I'm on the edge of my elongated seat waiting to hear how this turned out....
Hopefully with gravity restored. Did anyone mention the old adage, “pressure goes where you want, crap goes downhill and dont bite your nails while you work”?