Baking soda instead of shampoo...

Cowgirl

Here's a blog post about switching from shampoo and conditioner to baking soda and apple cider vinegar. It sounds interesting. I kinda want to try it.

Here's a blog post about switching from shampoo and conditioner to baking soda and apple cider vinegar. It sounds interesting. I kinda want to try it.

I used to put baking soda in a bottle, add the vinegar and cork it. Shake well and wait for the bang.

Cowgirl

I used to put baking soda in a bottle, add the vinegar and cork it. Shake well and wait for the bang.

We used to make volcanoes with it when we were a kid. Food coloring+glass bottles+baking soda+vinegar = a lot of fun for kids! :lmao:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Back in the 80's heavy hairspray hair days I used to add a little bit of baking soda to my shampoo to get rid of the hairspray build up:yay:

Cowgirl

Back in the 80's heavy hairspray hair days I used to add a little bit of baking soda to my shampoo to get rid of the hairspray build up:yay:

Good idea! She says that people with flat hair (no body) love it because it regular shampoo and conditioner weigh hair down.

Oh, and she also gives recipes for natural hairspray, hair gel, and mousse. :smile:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I have heard of the vinegar rinse but not the baking soda. I wonder if it's good for color treated hair?

Last edited:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I have heard of the vinegar rinse but not the baking powder. I wonder if it's good for color treated hair?
And I've heard of the baking soda/shampoo mixture, but not the vinegar. :lol:

And I have used the bs/shampoo mixture on color-treated hair. :yay:

Cowgirl

I have heard of the vinegar rinse but not the baking soda. I wonder if it's good for color treated hair?

I'm not sure, but she did say if you notice your hair lightening, it's because of too much baking soda. She said less is more.

I'm going to try it for the next few days and see how it goes!

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I'm not sure, but she did say if you notice your hair lightening, it's because of too much baking soda. She said less is more.

Okay, you have to report back. I'd be more apt to try it when I go back to short hair but it might be worth a shot now.

I've got a couple of boxes that I just took out of the fridge, you can have them. They're only 6 months old and don't smell TOO bad.......

Cowgirl

I've got a couple of boxes that I just took out of the fridge, you can have them. They're only 6 months old and don't smell TOO bad.......

I am NOT going to walk around with garlic-y smelling baking soda hair! :drama:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
One thing that I do remember about the baking soda trick is that it really does strip your hair of all the built-up product. As a result, your hair will be particularly "thirsty" for moisture, so make sure you have a quality, moisture-rich conditioner to apply; otherwise, you'll not be able to get a comb through it.

Cowgirl

One thing that I do remember about the baking soda trick is that it really does strip your hair of all the built-up product. As a result, your hair will be particularly "thirsty" for moisture, so make sure you have a quality, moisture-rich conditioner to apply; otherwise, you'll not be able to get a comb through it.

:jameo: Read the article. :lol: She said it will take a few days for your hair to get back to "normal" and start producing natural oils. Well, it always produces them, but shampoo strips them, and conditioner blocks the pores. I can't explain it. She goes through everything very thoroughly though. :smile:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
:jameo: Read the article. :lol: She said it will take a few days for your hair to get back to "normal" and start producing natural oils. Well, it always produces them, but shampoo strips them, and conditioner blocks the pores. I can't explain it. She goes through everything very thoroughly though. :smile:
:lol: Read articles? Who has time for that? :shrug:

W

Wenchy

I was skeptical, but had the ingredients, so what the heck.

It works. :yay:

My hair is usually hard to comb out (I use conditioner each time I shampoo) It wasn't difficult to comb out at all with this.

Thanks Cowgirl! :howdy: