Baking soda instead of shampoo...

kalmd

Interesting thread. I'm going to have my son use this tonight. When he got his hair cut over the weekend the hairdresser said he had a lot of chlorine buildup from swimming. She said his hair felt like it had a film on it.

SoMDGirl42

I didn't really do the baking soda thing for long, but I have started using the vinegar rinse again. I mixed vinegar and water 50/50 and added a couple of drops of essential oil. I tried that but nixed the essential oil because I felt it was a little too much oil (I might have just added too much). The plain vinegar and water mix is leaving my hair so soft and shiny. I love it!

I have very fine hair that tends to get oily because I have to use alot of conditioner to keep it from being fly away and I can't get a comb through it when I shampoo without conditioner. Does the vinegar make your soft enough that you can comb it without using conditioner? And does it smell funky?

Cowgirl

I have very fine hair that tends to get oily because I have to use alot of conditioner to keep it from being fly away and I can't get a comb through it when I shampoo without conditioner. Does the vinegar make your soft enough that you can comb it without using conditioner? And does it smell funky?

Mine combed out just fine this morning! And it doesn't smell funky because you rinse it out. You might notice a VERY faint vinegar smell when it's wet, but not at all when it's dry!

Cowgirl

did you normally have to use conditioner?

Yes, I definitely have to use conditioner. In fact, I washed my hair only this morning (showered last night), and leaned over the edge of tub to wash my hair, so my hair was all crazy when I stood up. It combed through perfectly. And you can feel it right away when you pour it on...so soft. Just give it a try and see if you like it!

SoMDGirl42

Yes, I definitely have to use conditioner. In fact, I washed my hair only this morning (showered last night), and leaned over the edge of tub to wash my hair, so my hair was all crazy when I stood up. It combed through perfectly. And you can feel it right away when you pour it on...so soft. Just give it a try and see if you like it!

I think I will with your recommendation. Just curious though, you said you tried using the baking soda but stopped. Can I ask why?

Cowgirl

I think I will with your recommendation. Just curious though, you said you tried using the baking soda but stopped. Can I ask why?

Well, it was kind of a pain. And they say your hair goes through an adjustment, so it might be funky until your hair gets used to the routine. I didn't really want to go to work with possibly funky hair, so I didn't do it. I'd definitely use it in a pinch though.

Roxie04

And I've heard of the baking soda/shampoo mixture, but not the vinegar. :lol:

And I have used the bs/shampoo mixture on color-treated hair. :yay:

Baking sode strips the hair of any build up. So therefor it will also take the color out of the hair.

Roxie04

Interesting thread. I'm going to have my son use this tonight. When he got his hair cut over the weekend the hairdresser said he had a lot of chlorine buildup from swimming. She said his hair felt like it had a film on it.

If the baking soda does not work
Paul Mitchell has a shampoo that works wonders for chlorine build up. I can't remember which one it is but they would be able to tell you if you asked.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Here's a blog post about switching from shampoo and conditioner to baking soda and apple cider vinegar. It sounds interesting. I kinda want to try it.

Last night I used a honey/apple cider vinegar rinse. Today I used my normal stuff. I did't put any products in my hair and after drying and styling, I've got a lot of body this morning. It feels nice, too! I think I'm gonna' get a box of baking soda and try that as well. :yay:

Are you still using this mixture of stuff?

Cowgirl

Last night I used a honey/apple cider vinegar rinse. Today I used my normal stuff. I did't put any products in my hair and after drying and styling, I've got a lot of body this morning. It feels nice, too! I think I'm gonna' get a box of baking soda and try that as well. :yay:

Are you still using this mixture of stuff?

I'm using regular shampoo but doing a vinegar rinse (50/50 water and white vinegar) every day. My sister uses soap (handmade, not the store-bought kind which is actually a detergent) as shampoo and does the vinegar rinse and she loves it.

frozenrain

I bought 24 boxes of baking soda on Staurday and get through 12 boxes a week for cleaning and bathing purposes. I love baking soda!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I'm using regular shampoo but doing a vinegar rinse (50/50 water and white vinegar) every day. My sister uses soap (handmade, not the store-bought kind which is actually a detergent) as shampoo and does the vinegar rinse and she loves it.

Alright! So, I've used the vinegar rinse the last week. So far I'm not noticing a difference in the feel of my hair. I have not added any baking soda to the mixture. Should I?

Cowgirl

Alright! So, I've used the vinegar rinse the last week. So far I'm not noticing a difference in the feel of my hair. I have not added any baking soda to the mixture. Should I?

Are you just doing a rinse after you shampoo? The baking soda is normally used to replace shampoo, and vinegar to replace conditioner. I forget what the mixture for the baking soda is, but it's something like a few tablespooons in a bottle of water. You may want to look it up.

I just use the vinegar solution (50/50 w/ water) instead of conditioner. I can blowdry my hair and everything, no tangles. Plus, it's WAY cheaper than conditioner.