Bank of America drive-thru

imaref

I went to the Lex. Park Bank of America drive-thru today to make a deposit and both lanes were closed. I went inside and asked the teller why the drive-thru was closed--she said due to "fraud" the drive-thru is permanently closed and that Bank of America is working towards closing ALL drive-thrus at all locations.

Not a big deal for me to walk in and make a deposit if I have too many transactions to use the ATM for a deposit, but I sure feel bad for older folks and the disabled that will now have to trudge into the lobby.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
First World Problems - what did we do before the drive thru, internet and cell phone apps?

What did we do before cars and flush toilets and air conditioning?

We suffered, that's what.

I'm curious what fraud BoA is having at their drive-thru. Other banks don't seem to be having major problems.

BernieP

Resident PIA
What did we do before cars and flush toilets and air conditioning?

We suffered, that's what.

I'm curious what fraud BoA is having at their drive-thru. Other banks don't seem to be having major problems.
tenor.gif

We didn't suffer, it was just the accepted way of life. It wasn't until the more modern convenience was marketed that we "suffered".

Young, old, rich or poor, we all walked up to the teller window in the bank. If you had a business they had a night depository (which was probably a mid 20th century feature)

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but if they can't walk (or shuffle) into the bank they should not be driving a car.
If they aren't driving the car, that may well be the fraud. Teller at the window can't verify the ID she has is the person in the vehicle.
I'm fairly certain they are talking about fraudulently cashed checks using either fake or stolen IDs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We didn't suffer, it was just the accepted way of life. It wasn't until the more modern convenience was marketed that we "suffered".

Right. And when they take away our modern conveniences, we suffer.

Not that I care because I use online banking, and on the rare occasion I need to do physical banking I go inside. And I don't bank at BoA anyway. But BoA's excuse sounds like BS, so I'm curious what the real reason is.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Right. And when they take away our modern conveniences, we suffer.

Not that I care because I use online banking, and on the rare occasion I need to do physical banking I go inside. And I don't bank at BoA anyway. But BoA's excuse sounds like BS, so I'm curious what the real reason is.

Of courese I'm right, you just repeated my point - copy cat

There are some things "old people" should not be allowed to do:
Drive thru windows - any type
ATM's
Pump gas
Self Checkout.

Do you know what caused this to happen?

atm-line1.jpg

This is the root cause of that line

images

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
So they closed the branch completely in Leonardtown. This was after cutting their lobby hours to close at 4 and I believe no hours on Saturday. Of course we are BofAm customers so now it's off to the Mechanicsville location which is oh so convenient. Most brick and mortar banks are complete pains in the ass and definitely can't compete with the rates from Ally or Marcus. But I shouldn't have to lose time at my job to fit into an inconvenient 6 hour window.

PeoplesElbow

So they closed the branch completely in Leonardtown. This was after cutting their lobby hours to close at 4 and I believe no hours on Saturday. Of course we are BofAm customers so now it's off to the Mechanicsville location which is oh so convenient. Most brick and mortar banks are complete pains in the ass and definitely can't compete with the rates from Ally or Marcus. But I shouldn't have to lose time at my job to fit into an inconvenient 6 hour window.
Ally is great, their phone customer service is unbeatable and so are their rates.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Before my son goes off to college next year we are moving all his money to Ally but maintaining an account at a brick and mortar.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Fraud? That sounds like a BS excuse. My guess is employee cutbacks.
Probably. But I wouldn't be surprised if "fraud" is part of it. What with banks making you take off hats and sun glasses (and what not) to get good clear photos of their serfs (oops, I mean "clients") I'm betting closing the drives-in is part of this "positive ID" thing.

--- End of line (MCP)

Tech

Of courese I'm right, you just repeated my point - copy cat

There are some things "old people" should not be allowed to do:
Drive thru windows - any type
ATM's
Pump gas
Self Checkout.

Do you know what caused this to happen?

atm-line1.jpg

This is the root cause of that line

images
Just as bad getting stuck behind someone whose transactions keep getting rejected. Admit jerk you're broke.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I went to the Lex. Park Bank of America drive-thru today to make a deposit and both lanes were closed. I went inside and asked the teller why the drive-thru was closed--she said due to "fraud" the drive-thru is permanently closed and that Bank of America is working towards closing ALL drive-thrus at all locations.

Not a big deal for me to walk in and make a deposit if I have too many transactions to use the ATM for a deposit, but I sure feel bad for older folks and the disabled that will now have to trudge into the lobby.
Let's see BOA is holding over $1.44 trillion in derivatives. And is participating in the Feds repo agreements, aka QE4-5. A last resort, (loans directly from the Fed), for banks. If I were a BOA customer, of which I am definitely not, I'd would be moving all my money out and into a credit union. They are in the death troughs, reducing employee numbers as fast as they can, as are the other big major banks with derivative exposures. The system is beginning its crash. But everyone knows and understands what is going on the the fiat banking system, right? Only billions and billions and billions, daily, of fresh made up new money being injected into the failing banking system in an attempt to keep these, "too big to fail", banks afloat. But, as I said, everyone knows about this .... right?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I rarely use the drive thru. Reminds me too much of Sonny Corleone.

The people I see using most aren't (us) old people but the same ones who use the handicapped spots at the Post Office, young and healthy looking late 20s/early 30s women and some hipster men.

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
The drive-thrus in Dunkirk and Prince Frederick have been closed for a while. Only used them when I had to deposit my son's paycheck but now he scans it through his phone.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just as bad getting stuck behind someone whose transactions keep getting rejected. Admit jerk you're broke.
There is one in every line, and I'm usually right behind them. So if you see me on line, pick another one, even if it's longer.
Ever get the person in the store who doesn't have much in their cart, but then it turns out they need 5 different receipts.
So it's like standing behind 5 people, not one. Making it even better is they want to pay cash for each order and have to keep the money separated.
Then add in digging around for that exact change they thought they had.......

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
This has been going on for some time as American banking habits have changed. I do all my banking online or at the ATM. Although this piece is six years old, it reflects the changes banks and specifically BOA are adapting to:

Drive-through teller stations, once promoted as a convenience for the after-work crowd wanting to keep Bob Dylan songs playing while depositing their paychecks, are losing some of that traffic to mobile apps. As consumers increasingly use self-service channels from wherever they wish, financial institutions are reimagining their physical footprints, including drive-ups, to adjust.

"It's all part of a larger movement to what we call the self-service era," says Genie Driskill, chief operating officer at Synergistics Research Corp. "Branches will have options for transactions inside or outside, but in a self-service mode. drive-ups are an extension of that."

In recent weeks, Bank of America Corp. (BAC) announced it was closing some drive-through teller services in areas where usage has been low in a broader effort to respond to customer behavior shifts.

"The decision is in response to the way consumers are banking today," said a B of A spokeswoman in an email to Bank Technology News. "For example, in July, 13 million Bank of America customers used their smartphones to deposit an average of 160,000 checks per day. In addition, half of our deposits are made at ATMs."

Tech

There is one in every line, and I'm usually right behind them. So if you see me on line, pick another one, even if it's longer.
Ever get the person in the store who doesn't have much in their cart, but then it turns out they need 5 different receipts.
So it's like standing behind 5 people, not one. Making it even better is they want to pay cash for each order and have to keep the money separated.
Then add in digging around for that exact change they thought they had.......
Or after hearing the total, opens purse, digs for wallet, unsnaps wallet, digs for the exact cents so they just get bills back, then reverse the process. 😲

acommondisaster

The drive thru in La Plata has been closed for a while. I rarely go to the bank, do all mine on line and use my phone for check deposits.
I think it's been about a year that it's been closed. My renter is currently paying me with money orders - the ATM is kind of finicky about accepting them, so I've been having to go inside for the last 4 months to deposit - there's a certain kind of people who frequent the tellers - all of them seem to have trouble figuring out how to bank. It's generally slow torture (thank God for podcasts) I'll be glad when my renter's automatic deposit into our account finally happens.