Barn design preferences

fredsaid2

So, you're designing a simple 4 stall barn; what type would it be, what size stalls, how large a tack room, loft or no loft, would you want an indoor wash stall, would you make the exterior wood or metal siding? This is a 'cost IS an object' project so it would need to stay reasonable, relatively speaking. What are the things you’ve liked in past barns and things you’d never have in your own? Just a fun topic of wishful dreaming!

covekat

Fred, we just built a new 4 stall barn for our weanlings... four 12x12 stalls, feed room, wash stall.. Hot and cold water in the wash stall. The barn has an aisle way... nice sliding wood doors with metal bars on the top, and back solid doors that will stay open in the summer with full screens, and be closed on nasty days in the winter. We went with siding and an over hang on each side. We had a ceiling put in, with storage above.

fredsaid2

covekat said:
Fred, we just built a new 4 stall barn for our weanlings... four 12x12 stalls, feed room, wash stall.. Hot and cold water in the wash stall. The barn has an aisle way... nice sliding wood doors with metal bars on the top, and back solid doors that will stay open in the summer with full screens, and be closed on nasty days in the winter. We went with siding and an over hang on each side. We had a ceiling put in, with storage above.

Sounds very nice! How did you orient your stalls? I was thinking 3 on one side w/ dutch doors and an overhang, 4th on opposite side of the center aisle. Tack, wash stall to take up remaining space on that side. Did you leave room for tools and a little hay at the ends or incorporate that space elsewhere? How wide did you make your aisle and where did you put access to the upper level? Sorry if I'm being too nosey but barns are fun! :smile:

covekat

We have 2 stalls on each side, storage room on one side, across from that the wash stall, aisle is 10 feet... and there is a door on the outside to access the storage above... We really didnt need a lot of storage space in this barn, we have another big barn with a huge hayloft and tack room.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
covekat said:
We have 2 stalls on each side, storage room on one side, across from that the wash stall, aisle is 10 feet... and there is a door on the outside to access the storage above... We really didnt need a lot of storage space in this barn, we have another big barn with a huge hayloft and tack room.

How much did that set up cost you? I would want a loft over top to store Hay.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
KingFish said:
How much did that set up cost you? I would want a loft over top to store Hay.
Some insurance companies won't cover you if you store hay in the loft of the barn (at least in FL).
I would like 12 X 16 stalls with doors opening to the front and the back of the stalls, center isle at least 14 ft wide, separate paddocks off the back doors, finished tack room with A/C and heat, bathroom with shower, washer and dryer, and separate feed room with rat proof containers, automatic waterers and ceiling fans. I am sure I can think of a lot more things but I will stop with that.

fredsaid2

Sadielady said:
Some insurance companies won't cover you if you store hay in the loft of the barn (at least in FL).
I would like 12 X 16 stalls with doors opening to the front and the back of the stalls, center isle at least 14 ft wide, separate paddocks off the back doors, finished tack room with A/C and heat, bathroom with shower, washer and dryer, and separate feed room with rat proof containers, automatic waterers and ceiling fans. I am sure I can think of a lot more things but I will stop with that.

Remember, I said 'reasonable'. The things you'd want the most having to forsake the pricey items. We can start a dream barns thread for yours! :smile:

covekat

The barn was not cheap... we do have heat in the storage room, our big barn has two 24x24 foaling stalls, the rest of the stalls are about 12x14.. all have overhead fans, and big fan in the center aisle... 2 car garage at one end, with heat and a.c. The other end is a huge tack and feed room.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
fredsaid2 said:
So, you're designing a simple 4 stall barn; what type would it be, what size stalls, how large a tack room, loft or no loft, would you want an indoor wash stall, would you make the exterior wood or metal siding? This is a 'cost IS an object' project so it would need to stay reasonable, relatively speaking. What are the things you’ve liked in past barns and things you’d never have in your own? Just a fun topic of wishful dreaming!

A simple design for 4 stalls? I like the first response with 3 stalls on the one side and 1 stall on the other. I would do the 3 stalls as 12 x 16, and the stall on the right a 12x12. Then I would do a 12x12 tack room and a 12x12 feed storage area. I would only store minimal hay in the barn for safety reasons, and keep mass hay storage in a seperate area. I would do at least a 12 ft aisle. Your finished building would be a 36x40.

I love my Nelson waterers, I tried cheaper models...and it was a disaster. I love the concrete floor with the BIG rubber mats from Linear Rubber...I tried sand underneath the mats at first...horrible. I like my grill sections...BUT I should have paid the extra $ for the welded grills...the assemble grills have the bars pop out from time to time and are a PAIN. For the run-outs off the barn, I started with wood...horses destroyed it. Went to Bahlen panels...horses bent them. I finally sported for Noble panels (even became a distributor I liked them so much!) and they have been great. I love the video monitoring sytem, and having electrical drops at each stall for fans or clipping. I had a auto fly system, didn't like it, for the cost it wasn't as effective as I would have liked.

Had I spent a little extra cash up front, I could have saved a lot of money and time in the long run.

Good luck and I hope you have a great project! :howdy:

Drafthorselover

We are also building our barn ....4 stalls 16 X16 and a wash stall (16 X 16 that can double as a stall if needed) with a 16 X 16 tack room and feed room with heat and ac. We only did a 10 foot aisle way but would have been better if we cold have made it 12 or 14 wide. There is a loft over head but we have a seperate hay barn for hay storage. Barn opens at both ends with stairs from the loft to the tack room. We also have an Nelson water and love it! The stalls will eventually have them also. One of these days it will be done :)
Drafthorselover

S

saddlesore

[QUOTE I had a auto fly system, didn't like it, for the cost it wasn't as effective as I would have liked.]

How so, Appendix? I have a friend with one, and there are virtually no flies in the barn. Don't know what type it is, I suppose there are different set ups?

S

saddlesore

I'm big on lots of ventilation. I like a cupola on the roof, plus -forget what you call it- where the peak of the roof is slightly separated with a ridge. Big windows on outsides of the stalls that can be replaced with plexiglass in the winter. Or, if there are paddocks outside the stalls, then dutch doors where just the top can be opened. Fans, too.

I also like the barns that feature small spaces between the boards on the connecting walls between stalls, so the horses can see each other between stalls, not just poking heads out the front.

Also, for better light, either a transom, or plexiglass (or whatever they use) in the outside wall between the tops of the windows and the roof. It's like a strip, a foot or so, that runs the length of the outside wall. Really increases the light during daylight.

I'm also a stickler for safe, up-to-date wiring. And always wire for more than you think you will need.

It's nice to have air-con in the tack room to prevent mold in these humid summers!

fredsaid2

Drafthorselover said:
We are also building our barn ....4 stalls 16 X16 and a wash stall (16 X 16 that can double as a stall if needed) with a 16 X 16 tack room and feed room with heat and ac. We only did a 10 foot aisle way but would have been better if we cold have made it 12 or 14 wide. There is a loft over head but we have a seperate hay barn for hay storage. Barn opens at both ends with stairs from the loft to the tack room. We also have an Nelson water and love it! The stalls will eventually have them also. One of these days it will be done :)
Drafthorselover

I take it you have big horses w/ 16x16 stalls! Something about your name.... :smile: Did you purchase stall fronts or build them? I see they typically come in 12' widths so I take it anything over that would be custom, an evil word at best!

I love the Nelson's too. Fresh, clean water seems to be the Achilles heel of most boarding operations. When I boarded at a barn w/ Nelsons in the stalls that was one worry off my mind.

What's the preference on stall openings? Centered, off set, full front or allow them to hang their heads out?

K

KizerSoSay

saddlesore said:
[QUOTE I had a auto fly system, didn't like it, for the cost it wasn't as effective as I would have liked.]

How so, Appendix? I have a friend with one, and there are virtually no flies in the barn. Don't know what type it is, I suppose there are different set ups?
Auto fly spray usually ends up spraying right into the water buckets if you don't angle it correctly.
I like the sliding stall doors, with blanket racks on them. Brass appointments are always eye catching. Stone floor with ceiling fans, and a fountain in the courtyard. Nothing fancy...

S

saddlesore

I've seen some barns that are nicer than my house! Martha Stewart's comes to mind. Anyone see her magazine last Thanksgiving time? She served dinner in her barn! Or I should say, her staff served dinner.

Sparks

saddlesore said:
I also like the barns that feature small spaces between the boards on the connecting walls between stalls, so the horses can see each other between stalls, not just poking heads out the front.

Also, for better light, either a transom, or plexiglass (or whatever they use) in the outside wall between the tops of the windows and the roof. It's like a strip, a foot or so, that runs the length of the outside wall. Really increases the light during daylight.

I have both of these options and recommend them. Especially the see-thru siding strip. It lets in a ton of light. You never need lights on during the daytime.

I really like the idea of a center aisle but with dutch doors that lead to a small paddock. I also wouldn't make the stalls any smaller than 12x12.

fredsaid2

Sparks said:
I have both of these options and recommend them. Especially the see-thru siding strip. It lets in a ton of light. You never need lights on during the daytime.

I really like the idea of a center aisle but with dutch doors that lead to a small paddock. I also wouldn't make the stalls any smaller than 12x12.

I've seen that, the opaque panels, I think it's a great idea up high along the ceiling line. I also like an opaque panel in the roof centered over each stall. I'd like bars at the top portion of shared stall walls and spacing like saddlesore mentioned in those shared walls. Anything and everything to promote air flow!

Drafthorselover

I take it you have big horses w/ 16x16 stalls! Something about your name.... Did you purchase stall fronts or build them? I see they typically come in 12' widths so I take it anything over that would be custom, an evil word at best!

I love the Nelson's too. Fresh, clean water seems to be the Achilles heel of most boarding operations. When I boarded at a barn w/ Nelsons in the stalls that was one worry off my mind.

What's the preference on stall openings? Centered, off set, full front or allow them to hang their heads out?

Yep I have several big ones and hubby said might as well make them all the same size :)
We did purchase custom made grates/grills for the sides and fronts of the stalls along with 5' (instead of normal 3-4') sliding doors. Price was not too bad…. got them on sale on line. We offset our doors but have a place to open up the front of the stall grates/grills if we want them to hang out :) the bottom of the stalls we have double walls that are 6". We also wired for fans and electric hook ups in all stalls and in the aisle ways.
Drafthorselover

Sparks

Yes, definately wire for fans and plugs - all GFI of course.

An indoor wash stall is nice but not necessary. It would depend on how much you anticipate actually using it. Lots of people have very nice outdoor wash racks. Except when it's raining or snowing or crappy outside.

I think most contractors would automatically put in a ridge vent in the top of the roof. An exhaust type fan is nice upstairs if you have a loft.

I'm not a fan of the Nelson's inside the barn. I like to see exactly how much thier drinking and I've heard of flooded barns because of those too.

Think about where you'll store hay, wheelbarrows and other junk.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Sparks said:
Yes, definately wire for fans and plugs - all GFI of course.

An indoor wash stall is nice but not necessary. It would depend on how much you anticipate actually using it. Lots of people have very nice outdoor wash racks. Except when it's raining or snowing or crappy outside.

I think most contractors would automatically put in a ridge vent in the top of the roof. An exhaust type fan is nice upstairs if you have a loft.

I'm not a fan of the Nelson's inside the barn. I like to see exactly how much thier drinking and I've heard of flooded barns because of those too.

Think about where you'll store hay, wheelbarrows and other junk.
Oh yes, I forgot....I would like to have a nice grooming stall and wash stall. I now have an idea of how to build a wash stall correctly after seeing some that only clog up! (not that I would be building anything). How is this one?

Attachments

• Karen's place.JPG
    Karen's place.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Karen's inside barn.JPG
    Karen's inside barn.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Karen's horse.JPG
    Karen's horse.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 62
  • entrance to the barn.JPG
    entrance to the barn.JPG