Base Police*alert* all those that drive on base

lmmo

Apparently you can be pulled over for holding your head up with you hand as it rests on the driver side door and be accused of talking on the phone! :doh:
Yes, this happened yesterday and the driver had to pull his cell deep from his pocket even though the officer "saw what he saw" and then the driver offered it to the officers to check calls in and calls out and the officers would not take the cell phone and said they did not need to because they saw the driver talking on his cell. So when the lights flashed and the head was resting on the hand, the driver could not figure out what he was being pulled over for. Imagine his surprise of being ACCUSED of talking on the cell while it was deep in his pocket.
So, BEWARE, NEVER REST YOUR HEAD ON YOUR HAND OR YOU MAY BE FINED, TICKETED OR GIVEN A WARNING EVEN THOUGH YOU WERE NOT TALKING ON A CELL PHONE AND IT WAS NOT ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR FACE/EAR.
This could have easily been solved if the officers just looked at the calls placed, missed and received!

Apparently you can be pulled over for holding your head up with you hand as it rests on the driver side door and be accused of talking on the phone! :doh:
Yes, this happened yesterday and the driver had to pull his cell deep from his pocket even though the officer "saw what he saw" and then the driver offered it to the officers to check calls in and calls out and the officers would not take the cell phone and said they did not need to because they saw the driver talking on his cell. So when the lights flashed and the head was resting on the hand, the driver could not figure out what he was being pulled over for. Imagine his surprise of being ACCUSED of talking on the cell while it was deep in his pocket.
So, BEWARE, NEVER REST YOUR HEAD ON YOUR HAND OR YOU MAY BE FINED, TICKETED OR GIVEN A WARNING EVEN THOUGH YOU WERE NOT TALKING ON A CELL PHONE AND IT WAS NOT ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR FACE/EAR.
This could have easily been solved if the officers just looked at the calls placed, missed and received!

Not all that observant are they? Did he see your lips move?

lmmo

base police

Was not me...happened to someone close to me and there were more than 1 in the car....

HunterJJD

The cop should have just pulled him out the car and given him a wood shampoo for back talking the law. He should have thanked and apologized for wasting the officer time and that he was stupid for breaking the law.

lmmo

base police

Breaking the law??? I am trying to warn those that you do not even have to have a cell phone, that you can be pulled over for having you head resting on you hand as your elbow rests on the door.
You do not appreciate the warning?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Not all that observant are they? Did he see your lips move?
coulda been singing to a song, or listening to someone else talking when they observed it. lips moving isn't much of an indication

Breaking the law??? I am trying to warn those that you do not even have to have a cell phone, that you can be pulled over for having you head resting on you hand as your elbow rests on the door.
You do not appreciate the warning?
I think the lesson isn't to watch your hand, I think it's to make sure you don't do anything that could be misconstrued as talking on the phone. Plus, someone could delete their phone calls and show a blank phone to the cop. Tough situation but I don't know if they're really able to uphold it if it's disputed.

mingiz

Horse Poor
The cops on base should obey the law also. :eyebrow: I don't know how many base cops I've seen using the cell phone. I also see a lot of drivers on base with the cell phone stuck to thier ear to make it look like they're just resting thier head in thier hand. But if I wasn't on a cell and got a ticket for just resting my head in my hand. I would be taking that to court or I would go right to the command post and complain.... Some of the base cops are ok but others have big ego's.....jmo

coulda been singing to a song, or listening to someone else talking when they observed it. lips moving isn't much of an indication

I think the lesson isn't to watch your hand, I think it's to make sure you don't do anything that could be misconstrued as talking on the phone. Plus, someone could delete their phone calls and show a blank phone to the cop. Tough situation but I don't know if they're really able to uphold it if it's disputed.

Lips not moving means not talking. If the cop said you were talking on your cell rather than using it....get my drift?

Might I also suggest you not raise your hand with your pointer finger facing foward and your thumb in the upright position.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Maybe the driver was thinking about using their cell phone so the cop did the right thing, should have tazed the cell phone yapper regardless!!! :whistle:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Is there a rule against talking on cell phones on base in general, or just a rule against holding the phone to your ear and talking while driving? Have these people never heard of hands-free or Bluetooth?

John Z

if you will
Is there a rule against talking on cell phones on base in general, or just a rule against holding the phone to your ear and talking while driving? Have these people never heard of hands-free or Bluetooth?

I think the rule is that you can only use a cell phone if it is 100% hands-free, including call initiation/termination.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I think the rule is that you can only use a cell phone if it is 100% hands-free, including call initiation/termination.

I'd get clarification on that. It's my understanding that you are not to use a cell phone in any fashion, as it distracts you from driving.

"Any listening device visibly seen covering one or both ear openings is considered to be in violation of the law. As well, a cord seen coming from under the helmet indicating a listening device is being used under a helmet is also considered to be in violation."

http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/70373-pax-base-cell-phone-use-law-enforcement.html

(3) Driver distractions. Vehicle operators on a DoD Installation and operators of Government owned vehicles shall not use cell phones unless the vehicle is safely parked or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hand-free cellular phones) while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
"Any listening device visibly seen covering one or both ear openings is considered to be in violation of the law. As well, a cord seen coming from under the helmet indicating a listening device is being used under a helmet is also considered to be in violation."

http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/70373-pax-base-cell-phone-use-law-enforcement.html

(3) Driver distractions. Vehicle operators on a DoD Installation and operators of Government owned vehicles shall not use cell phones unless the vehicle is safely parked or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hand-free cellular phones) while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech.

WHEW.. good thing my helmet is BLUE TOOTH!!

TAKE THAT SUCKA MAN!!

I can be jammin to XM with NO wires!!!

Beta84

They're out to get us
Lips not moving means not talking. If the cop said you were talking on your cell rather than using it....get my drift?
:rolleyes:

I was trying to be serious. :razz:

Maybe the driver was thinking about using their cell phone so the cop did the right thing, should have tazed the cell phone yapper regardless!!! :whistle:
Don't taze me, bro!

correct!

glhs837

Power with Control
Also, all emergency personell are exempt from the cell phone ban. I do get a kick out of the "initiation/termination" clause. Thats kinda silly in my book, seeing as people take their hands off the wheel to change radio stations, adjust HVAC controls, whatever.

As for deleting the phones records, you could do that, but a blank phone would be an indicator, while an intact call log would show that your last call was more than two mintues ago, clearing you pretty simply.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
So, did he get a ticket, or a warning?

They'll give their mom a ticket.
I was pulled over on base once, I think I was going 3 miles over the speed limit but my son was whaling in the back seat, I was a new mom and was trying to get home so I could nurse him.