Base Police*alert* all those that drive on base

CrashTest

"Any listening device visibly seen covering one or both ear openings is considered to be in violation of the law. As well, a cord seen coming from under the helmet indicating a listening device is being used under a helmet is also considered to be in violation."

http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/70373-pax-base-cell-phone-use-law-enforcement.html

(3) Driver distractions. Vehicle operators on a DoD Installation and operators of Government owned vehicles shall not use cell phones unless the vehicle is safely parked or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hand-free cellular phones) while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech.

This would make hearing aids illegal also. It would also disallow hearing impaired people from driving altogether.

Cowgirl

They'll give their mom a ticket.
I was pulled over on base once, I think I was going 3 miles over the speed limit but my son was whaling in the back seat, I was a new mom and was trying to get home so I could nurse him.

You must have a big back seat! :shocking:

Beta84

They're out to get us
This would make hearing aids illegal also. It would also disallow hearing impaired people from driving altogether.

ahem...
Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech.

i think that helps cover hearing aids as they don't impair, rather improve

SoMDGirl42

"Any listening device visibly seen covering one or both ear openings is considered to be in violation of the law. As well, a cord seen coming from under the helmet indicating a listening device is being used under a helmet is also considered to be in violation."

http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/70373-pax-base-cell-phone-use-law-enforcement.html

(3) Driver distractions. Vehicle operators on a DoD Installation and operators of Government owned vehicles shall not use cell phones unless the vehicle is safely parked or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hand-free cellular phones) while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech.

WHEW.. good thing my helmet is BLUE TOOTH!!

TAKE THAT SUCKA MAN!!

I can be jammin to XM with NO wires!!!

I don't want to burst your bubble bob, but I think bluetooth is considered an earphone listening devices. Unless of course you are saying your helmet has earphones built in, I'm not familiar with helmets. If that's the case :getdown:

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that an earpiece in the helmet would violate the instruction. You could try and sea-laywer it, arguing that it doesnt obscure the ear any more the the helmet already does. I suspect a judge will side with the LEO on this.

John Z

if you will
So if I'm understanding it correctly, if you are driving a car on base, you can use a cell phone if your car is bluetooth enabled and can completely execute a phone call hands-free (with voice commands) so that you aren't touching your cell phone at all, and you have to remove your nerdy bluetooth headset that you wear outside the car.

cuddles

I was pulled over on base coming out of the drive thru of mcdonalds about 2 months ago. I seen the officer heading towards me so I made sure I made a FULL stop at the stop sign and proceeded, he turned right behind me and pulled me over. I was thinking to my self what the hell did i do now. He walked up and asked if i knew why he pulled me over and I said NO. The officer said i was talking on my cell phone. I looked around my car and said my phone is in my purse and for the first time in a while I had not been on my phone all morning, and i offered my phone to him to check. He did not take my phone but he went back to his car and did the normal check and came back and gave me a warning. He said that you can not use cell phones on base while driving and I said I was not using it and offered it to him again and he just walked away.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I don't want to burst your bubble bob, but I think bluetooth is considered an earphone listening devices. Unless of course you are saying your helmet has earphones built in, I'm not familiar with helmets. If that's the case :getdown:
I think his point was that the bluetooth can be hidden under his helmet :wink:

So if I'm understanding it correctly, if you are driving a car on base, you can use a cell phone if your car is bluetooth enabled and can completely execute a phone call hands-free (with voice commands) so that you aren't touching your cell phone at all, and you have to remove your nerdy bluetooth headset that you wear outside the car.
pretty much. you can also use speakerphone i guess. you're not touching your phone that way either...

Sweet 16

^^8^^

I think what they mean is you can't use headphones such as you would use for an iPod which are plugged into both ears versus a bluetooth or single earphone (for your cell) which are plugged into one ear.

My point was that I don't understand why people still drive around with the phone to their ear and one hand on the wheel instead of getting bluetooth or buying an earphone cheap thus enabling them to keep both hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Yes, the speakers are built in, and bluetooth to the XM or the cell phone..

NO wires to show that I have speakers in the helmet!!

hit the voice button before you pull out, then the rest you can do hands free.

Yeah, but that's the trick. On my phone, you don't get speakerphone until the call is already answered, THEN you can push the handsfree. You can't press handsfree before the call is answered.

And to make a voice call, you again have to press a button first, then you can use voice. In both cases, that violates the totally hands free mandate.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that an earpiece in the helmet would violate the instruction. You could try and sea-laywer it, arguing that it doesnt obscure the ear any more the the helmet already does. I suspect a judge will side with the LEO on this.

They'd have to have me take off my helmet to see the speakers..

My old helmet had a cable going to the intercom box that interfaced with passenger, XM, cell etc etc..

New helmet has bluetooth built in, no wired connections.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Yeah, but that's the trick. On my phone, you don't get speakerphone until the call is already answered, THEN you can push the handsfree. You can't press handsfree before the call is answered.

And to make a voice call, you again have to press a button first, then you can use voice. In both cases, that violates the totally hands free mandate.

yup. that's why for most people, if they plan on making a phone call (and have a bluetooth/speaker capability), they need to make the call prior to driving anywhere. then they can talk hands free without violating anything