Base Police*alert* all those that drive on base

CrashTest

ahem...

i think that helps cover hearing aids as they don't impair, rather improve

Not really. The way that statement is written, it assumes all listening devices "impair" and "mask". You and I both know that's not true. Some listening devices enhance. That statement needs a revision.

(3) Driver distractions. Vehicle operators on a DoD Installation and operators of Government owned vehicles shall not use cell phones unless the vehicle is safely parked or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hand-free cellular phones) while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Not really. The way that statement is written, it assumes all listening devices "impair" and "mask". You and I both know that's not true. Some listening devices enhance. That statement needs a revision.

(3) Driver distractions. Vehicle operators on a DoD Installation and operators of Government owned vehicles shall not use cell phones unless the vehicle is safely parked or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hand-free cellular phones) while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech.

so i assume you are classifying a hearing aid in the "other listening devices"? you'd be wrong. it's not to "listen", it's used to "hear". There's a difference.

limblips

PREMO Member
The cell phone issue is the base police "crime du jour". They enforce it to the point of ridiculous yet ignore repeatedly the NO EARPHONES WHILE JOGGING, WALKING OR BICYCLING Navy regulation. I have seen them drive by a jogger/walker/cyclist on numerous occasions. I don't use my cell while driving, and I normally support the PO's but this is BS throughout. It appears your are guilty until proven innocent.

Southern Belle

I was pulled over on base coming out of the drive thru of mcdonalds about 2 months ago. I seen the officer heading towards me so I made sure I made a FULL stop at the stop sign and proceeded, he turned right behind me and pulled me over. I was thinking to my self what the hell did i do now. He walked up and asked if i knew why he pulled me over and I said NO. The officer said i was talking on my cell phone. I looked around my car and said my phone is in my purse and for the first time in a while I had not been on my phone all morning, and i offered my phone to him to check. He did not take my phone but he went back to his car and did the normal check and came back and gave me a warning. He said that you can not use cell phones on base while driving and I said I was not using it and offered it to him again and he just walked away.

They are famous for pulling people over coming out of McDonalds. I was pulled over because he said I didn't make a full stop. Funny thing is that I sat there for several minutes waiting for the traffic to clear. I recieved a warning. I guess they don't have enough to do and over use their power. A cop pulled out in front of me one day and I came VERY close to hitting him. I had to slam on my breaks so hard that my head came foward. They drive like idoits and get away with it.

BOP

I believe Maryland law allows only 1 speaker in a helmet.

That only applies to Maryland.

Here in Southern Maryland, those laws don't apply, because, well, we just don't feel like complying. Got it, mister!? :eyebrow:

:lmao:

eddy1

It is such as stupid law! They will have a Sailor or Marine work a 12 on 12 off rotation, to the point where they are likely tired, but talking on the phone is distracting? Dumb azz knee jerk reaction to nothing.

So, maybe we should all leave our cell phones somewhere else, not take them into the car, and drive with our head resting on our hand. All of us. Let them pull us over and see that there isn't even a cell in the vehicle.

Wonder if they would ever get the hint?

Beta84

They're out to get us
So, maybe we should all leave our cell phones somewhere else, not take them into the car, and drive with our head resting on our hand. All of us. Let them pull us over and see that there isn't even a cell in the vehicle.

Wonder if they would ever get the hint?

they won't look though...the person who said their phone was in her purse didn't even have the officer willing to look. :shrug:

sounds like people are pulled over for BS reasons, but i've also seen people pulled over who were using their cell phones. and i've seen other people on their cell phones who don't get pulled over. Blame all of them effers for screwing over the innocent ones.

smilin

BOXER NATION
BTW - Be very careful if you talk to yourself whilst you drive. The Sync system or other hands free devices may technically be legal, but if you can be pulled over for resting your head on your hand, imagine the penalty for TALKING TO YOURSELF.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hmmmmmmmm..... did not know that. So, I can't use my intercom to talk to my passenger in MD unless I rip out one speaker.... not gonna happen.

The major dealers in MD will NOT install J&M, Autocom, Nolan or any other headsets into your helmet for you.. though I haven't found a single one that won't sell them to you. Cross the border into VA and they will.

Nolan has Stereo Bluetooth now.. counting pennies.

The major dealers in MD will NOT install J&M, Autocom, Nolan or any other headsets into your helmet for you.. though I haven't found a single one that won't sell them to you. Cross the border into VA and they will.

Nolan has Stereo Bluetooth now.. counting pennies.

I direct order from J&M and install it myself. Looked into the bluetooth, but way too expensive between the headsets and the interface required for the GW 1500. I'd love to get rid of the wires.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I direct order from J&M and install it myself. Looked into the bluetooth, but way too expensive between the headsets and the interface required for the GW 1500. I'd love to get rid of the wires.

Ed Zachary.

I got the Nolan N103s, but not headsets yet. BOught them with the intent of putting bluetooth into them..

Only BIG drawback I see, and it's a major one, is now you have to put your helmet on a charger, and I don't know how long a charge lasts. Doubt it would last 24 hours or even 18..

thurley42

HY;FR
The cell phone issue is the base police "crime du jour". They enforce it to the point of ridiculous yet ignore repeatedly the NO EARPHONES WHILE JOGGING, WALKING OR BICYCLING Navy regulation. I have seen them drive by a jogger/walker/cyclist on numerous occasions. I don't use my cell while driving, and I normally support the PO's but this is BS throughout. It appears your are guilty until proven innocent.

that's not entirely true....if you are on a sidewalk, like coming down gate 2 you can run with headphones on....only when you on a road is it not allowed...and I actually have been stopped in the last 10 years probably 4 or 5 times for it....no tickets...just hey take it off or go to the track...

BernieP

Resident PIA
They are famous for pulling people over coming out of McDonalds. I was pulled over because he said I didn't make a full stop. Funny thing is that I sat there for several minutes waiting for the traffic to clear. I recieved a warning. I guess they don't have enough to do and over use their power. A cop pulled out in front of me one day and I came VERY close to hitting him. I had to slam on my breaks so hard that my head came foward. They drive like idoits and get away with it.

Two responses (first sarcastic):

1. Haven't seen them behind Giant or in Wildewood patroling the military housing there so I guess their workload is way down with fewer people now living on base.

2. (serious) Like police departments off base they are subject ot administrative pressures (i.e. outside interference). What I mean by that is that if someone up the food chain has complained they are going to be extremely diligent in tht area. McDonalds is close to building 409... CO or XO might have had a close call because someone ran the stop sign.

CrashTest

Many years ago I got stopped for blowing thru that stop sign at McDonalds but it was justified. I didn’t even slow down. Nevetheless, I don’t know where the cop was hiding.

Those classless, money grubber cops on base would hide behind a group of senior citizens in wheel chairs if they felt it provided good cover.

thurley42

HY;FR
Many years ago I got stopped for blowing thru that stop sign at McDonalds but it was justified. I didn’t even slow down. Nevetheless, I don’t know where the cop was hiding.

Those classless, money grubber cops on base would hide behind a group of senior citizens in wheel chairs if they felt it provided good cover.

years ago there weren't MA's on base as police officers..

you mad?