Best Restaurants in SOMD

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm a big fan of Café Vrai. Lots of creative appetizers, solid eclectic entrees. A seasonal menu that changes up from time to time. I can't wait till fall when they unveil the autumn soup & stew menu. She just recently added some new coffee varieties to the mix. Their poolside grill is awesome with things like bruschetta, atomic turds, grilled veggies & steaks.

Some nights you can even help out in the kitchen, other times it's stay the hell out of the way.

Last nights first course was a mixed green salad with some crunchy toppings & the entrée was a marinated boneless pork loin that was pan fried and deglazed with sherry.

Hank

my war
Oh, I'm so dumb for not having this in my original post!

Adam's Ribs in Price Frederick catered my wedding with a pig, crab cakes, and a bunch of sides - holy crap did they do a fantastic job!! It was perfect so I'm a lifelong supporter of that place!

Never had a good meal at Adam's and Ruddy has gone downhill.

I like:

Jerry's
River's Edge
Lighthouse

NextJen

Raisin cane
My favorite Southern Maryland spots are:
Jerry's
Adams Rib (they have great steak too)
Mexico (in Huntingtown or at North Beach) for cheap good food, drinks and chips
and a little North in Edgewater, the Edgewater Restaurant (best cream of crab soup around)

We've been to Bobby Ruccis Famous Italian Deli and Doughboys in White Plains twice recently.
It's not fine dining, but the few things we've tried there have been very good. Anyone else tried them?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
The Back Creek Bistro is STILL OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with Fitz.

Some of you people are full of $hit.

MMM_donuts

I'm a big fan of Café Vrai. Lots of creative appetizers, solid eclectic entrees. A seasonal menu that changes up from time to time. I can't wait till fall when they unveil the autumn soup & stew menu. She just recently added some new coffee varieties to the mix. Their poolside grill is awesome with things like bruschetta, atomic turds, grilled veggies & steaks. Some nights you can even help out in the kitchen, other times it's stay the hell out of the way. Last nights first course was a mixed green salad with some crunchy toppings & the entrée was a marinated boneless pork loin that was pan fried and deglazed with sherry.

It certainly sounds fantastic but I don't think the owner would be too happy if a bunch of random internet forumites just showed up there one night. I imagine it's more of an by-invite-only kind of place.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've had a bit of a 50/50 mixed experience at Ruddy Duck.

I'm always surprised when people say they had a meh or even bad experience there. That's probably the restaurant I frequent most and I've never, not one time, had less than great food and service. Maybe it's just my good luck restaurant?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It certainly sounds fantastic but I don't think the owner would be too happy if a bunch of random internet forumites just showed up there one night. I imagine it's more of an by-invite-only kind of place.

I heard the old place had a lot more seats. The current place has a more intimate ambiance.

MMM_donuts

The best restaurant I ate at so far down in SOMD is Stoney’s Kingfishers Seafood House over in Solomon's, nice to have a view of the water too. Been their with big groups and small groups, never heard one person complain. Don't like the already included gratuity though. I think that should be earned IMO.

Stoney's has a really good crab pretzel that my husband used to share with me when we were dating. It was included as one of his reasons that I should consider moving to this area.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I'm always surprised when people say they had a meh or even bad experience there. That's probably the restaurant I frequent most and I've never, not one time, had less than great food and service. Maybe it's just my good luck restaurant?

In the past 5 years, I have had one bad meal there- a special with stuffed pork chops. I told them it was undercooked, they agreed and replaced it with something else.
They are probably the restaurant I eat at the most. Their wait staff is usually right on the ball especially Ashley. She's my Fave!

MMM_donuts

A handful of people have suggested that we sit at the bar for better consistency. Idk.

Then again, even though I feel like I'm one of the easiest people to please when it comes to food, I seem to have a track record of ridiculously crazy things that happen when I dine out.

My mother, on the other hand, has very specific demands such as having all the red cabbage shreds and thick lettuce spines picked out of her salad before it reaches her or she makes a scene. She seems to not only get what she wants but they always seem to be more than happy to do it.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Is that the place on Mayo Rd.? If so, really good food!

Yes, that's the place! It's not fancy, but the food is good. We also like the Old Stein Inn up that way too. 10 German beers on tap.....what's not to like?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Ruddy Duck - favorite appetizer is their onion rings.
La Tolteca - Prince Frederick. Family owned (I know them personally - awesome folks) Great Mexican food, great prices & superb service.
River's Edge - Benedict (Charles County)

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Yes, that's the place! It's not fancy, but the food is good. We also like the Old Stein Inn up that way too. 10 German beers on tap.....what's not to like?

Second this one, Old Stein is one of my favorites, just to far to go for dinner.

ltown81

In terms of local restaurants I like-

Boomerangs
Ruddy Duck
Salsas

In terms of chains-
Texas Roadhouse (maybe:/)
Chipotle

I want a Carabba's something terrible.

MMM_donuts

My husband says:

Thai Inter
CD Cafe

And he almost said Stoney's but then said they're too expensive and agrees that we didn't love them the last time we were there.