best type of boat?

section8

OK, we are thinking about purchasing a boat for the purpose of crabbing (I think it's called trout lining-throwing a line out with chicken and scooping them up with a net), fishing, water skiing, a little bit of everything. I have been reading some and still do not know what type of boat would suit our needs. It's either a fishing or ski boat. Anyone with have any idea what type of boat would give us a little of both worlds? I'm definitely not looking forward to the maintenance bills this might run me. Thanks in advance.

Mikeinsmd

section8 said:
OK, we are thinking about purchasing a boat for the purpose of crabbing (I think it's called trout lining-throwing a line out with chicken and scooping them up with a net), fishing, water skiing, a little bit of everything. I have been reading some and still do not know what type of boat would suit our needs. It's either a fishing or ski boat. Anyone with have any idea what type of boat would give us a little of both worlds? I'm definitely not looking forward to the maintenance bills this might run me. Thanks in advance.
Need more info...

How much $$ you looking to spend?
Where will you be trot lining?
Will you use it for other things?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
section8 said:
Trot Lining..

Low to the water, slow.. can be a row boat with a trolling motor on it, doesn't have to be anything fancy, matter of fact you don't want anything fancy.. the process of pulling up the trot line, grabbing the crab, netting it, and getting it on the boat would really mess up the look of a nice boat over time.

Friends have a center console for fishing, cruising and everything else, but have a small dinghy for crabbing.

J

julz20684

section8 said:

And I guess you saved the money to purchase said boat through your Section 8 housing voucher? :ohwell:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
section8 said:

I want a 35' Donzi. Will you buy it for me?

section8

lol, thanks for the replies everyone. Section8 is also a mental discharge from the military, where I chose my screen name. Yes it's odd, but it's a conversation starter.
From what I gathered, I guess center console is the way to go. We are planning to spend up to around the 15K price range(less is better). Now say I cancel the skiing part out, can the center console do it all including trot lining or do i have no choice but to get another boat for it? Thanks again. This won't happen anytime soon since we are getting a garage shortly, but want to get an idea of what to start looking for.
Also for the those that have boats, is it really as much work keeping it maintained as I've heard?

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
section8 said:
lol, thanks for the replies everyone. Section8 is also a mental discharge from the military, where I chose my screen name. Yes it's odd, but it's a conversation starter.
From what I gathered, I guess center console is the way to go. We are planning to spend up to around the 15K price range(less is better). Now say I cancel the skiing part out, can the center console do it all including trot lining or do i have no choice but to get another boat for it? Thanks again. This won't happen anytime soon since we are getting a garage shortly, but want to get an idea of what to start looking for.
Also for the those that have boats, is it really as much work keeping it maintained as I've heard?
Have you owned a boat before? Money Pit!

section8 said:
As long as you have enough engine you should be able to pull a skier. 100hp minimum, I would say although you could get by with less. I think a little boat is easier to trot line with, but being low to the water is important too.

bohman

section8 said:

You'd better believe it. I don't have much advice for you regarding what type of boat to pick, but if 15K is going to stress out your budget, buy something less than that, maybe 10K. Save the other 5K for maintanence/repairs, because you WILL need it. Also, you'll have a well-maintained 10K boat that you enjoy, instead of a crappy 15K boat that sits in your driveway because you can't afford to keep it running.

Having said that - Don't let me or anyone else scare you out of buying a boat because of the work. The first sunny day out on the bay will convince you that the work and money was worth it. Just don't pretend that you can get away without doing the maintanence.

section8

Again I appreciate all the info. I just don't want to pay 15K for a boat and have to do 1000.00 worth of maintenance every year just to go out on the water. Cheaper would be better, but I want something that will last. I figured if I got around 15K, it would at least be in better shape compared to the 10K ones.
We may just end up buying a little boat and start out trot lining only to get the feel of maintenance that is needed. Thanks for all the input.

bohman

section8 said:
I figured if I got around 15K, it would at least be in better shape compared to the 10K ones.

That's true, to a certain extent. If you buy a very small boat for 15K, it's likely to be in decent shape. Buy a large boat for 15K, and you've only purchased headaches. I guess all I'm saying is, whatever you think you can afford - spend a little less, and then you'll have more budget for later on.

Good luck, I personally feel that shopping of any kind is a PITA. But you may find a great deal out there.